Coronavirus

Steve

Three of the fully vaccinated TX House Democrats who fled to Washington DC have tested positive for COVID.

This is more worrisome than normal because they've been spending a substantial portion of each day lobbying Senators, Senate staffers, and administration officials.

Not to mention being cooped up together with other TX House Democrats in a bus to and from an airport, on the airplane to DC, and repeated daily strategy sessions with other TX House Democrats.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/17/politics/texas-house-democrats-covid-positive/index.html

First COVID case actually inside the Olympic Village. 

44 Olympians, coaches, and staff so far have tested positive after reaching Japan.

The Olympics start in six days.

International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach, this week promised that there is “zero” risk that the virus would spread through the Olympic Village or beyond, citing the fact that everyone who arrives in Japan is tested for it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/first-case-of-coronavirus-infection-inside-olympic-village-confirmed-six-days-before-opening-ceremony/ar-AAMfNa4

Well, as long as we have the personal assurance of some official, there really must be zero risk that an highly infectious disease will spread inside a confined area.

Because, Lord knows we've yet to find any official anywhere who has been willing to say that a highly infectious disease won't spread. Chalk up another first for the world....

1 hour ago, archer said:

Because, Lord knows we've yet to find any official anywhere who has been willing to say that a highly infectious disease won't spread. Chalk up another first for the world....

Well, this official may be the first since the Oval Office got a new occupant.

Despite the general loosening of restrictions in many places, and the desire to say it's over...

7000 people are still dying from Covid-19 every day.  While this is a vast improvement from the 14,000 in January...

It's still 2.5 million people a year.

And as we've said throughout...deaths is the most obvious negative measure but clearly not the only one.  If it's 2.5 million dead, then it's, what 5 to 10 million people who will suffer severe problems.  

We can argue the whys and wherefores until we're hoarse.  Not my intent to rehash this here and now.  Just to point out that there's no way we can return to the pre-pandemic norms while the consequences remain this serious.  Last spring, my feeling was there was no way we could return to normal before 2022.  This spring, when I was getting my first shot, I felt we'd *mostly* return to normal by Labor Day...more or less, the start of the new school year.  Now...that "mostly" may still hold but it's not as far along as before.  And 1Q 2022?  Not looking that way.  Optimistically...maybe July 2022.  But if the slow pace of converting from Pandemic to Problematic But Manageable remains, we'll have restrictions, contract tracing, quarantines and the like through all of 2022, I'm afraid.

I think, UncleVlad, that you (like me) were optimistic enough to think that, as the vaccinations rolled out, case counts among the vaccinated declined, and vaccinated people did not start developing random mutations, dropping dead in droves and/or setting off metal detectors due to all those NanoTrackers, people would realize that we have vaccinations to stop illness, not several different versions of some vast government conspiracy.

Or at least figure out that, if the government REALLY wanted to get a foreign substance into much of the population, it could be distributed through drinking water, or alcohol (how many anti-vaxxers would give THAT up?), or in the air (we'll just claim that smell is smoke from forest fires...which we have a lot of in the air here in Western Canada right now). 

Whether I believe our government(s) would be above implementing Project: Nanobot or not, I give them credit for being able to do it less obviously, and with vastly less work,than staging a pretend pandemic.

Sadly, that requires the ability to reason, which seems to have been stamped out of a substantial portion of the population.   Why would any government fund education?  A well-educated society of critical thinkers isn't helping them on election day!

A second athlete has tested positive inside the Olympic Village.

One of the IOC officials who has come to the games has tested positive.

The coach of South Africa's rugby team has tested positive. The team is already in-country doing training in Kagoshima but hasn't yet travelled to the Olympics site.

https://apnews.com/article/sports-2020-tokyo-olympics-health-coronavirus-pandemic-8cef15127de660b161807f1a9fd60ecd

23 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

I always liked the First Edition psionics rules, and you had about a 2% chance of actually getting psionics. So when I DM'd, 2% was 100%.

What? I'm morally certain that it was the way Gygax intended the game to be played. 

Moral certainty aside, I didn't like the idea of psionics.

It was kind of like tacking on something absurd like "wild magic" which doesn't follow any of the established rules for using magic onto the existing rules: it could be done but it wouldn't have been an improvement for the tone the game rules were trying to establish for the setting.

On 7/15/2021 at 11:49 PM, archer said:

I don't see any end to the spike in sight.

What stopped the spike last time was people being compelled to wear masks and social distance while they were being scared by the constant pounding of the pandemic news.

This time you've got no masks among the people who aren't taking the virus seriously, no social distancing, and comparatively little news coverage to scare people. If people aren't watching their local news or visiting a hospital, they're likely completely unaware that anything is going on: even right in the middle of the worst-hit areas.

For example, Springfield, Missouri is in the national news as the worst-hit area in the country and with very low vaccination rates.

Within convenient driving distance is Kansas City, MO which has even lower vaccination rates and a metro area with over five times the population.

The governor of Missouri is a Republican who doesn't want to fight the virus. And he's publicly blamed the overwhelming of the Springfield hospitals with record numbers of COVID patients on the hospitals themselves (I guess as if the hospital buildings were supposed to magically grow in number of available rooms and increase in the numbers of trained doctors and nurses to staff them overnight).

‘A tipping point’: Kansas City hospitals are turning away patients due to COVID surge

https://news.yahoo.com/tipping-point-kansas-city-hospitals-193117650.html

That didn't take long at all....

In a hundred years, I think that people will remember the conservatives who deny the existence of the virus and oppose taking the reasonable steps against it, in the same way as the high commands of the armies in World War 1 are remembered now: Robert Nivelle, Douglas Haig, Erich Falkenhayn, Grand Duke Nicholas, etc., as heavy-handed, incompetent, status-conscious obstinate butchers incapable of adapting to a new environment, and seeing only their own status as important, and spending the lives of millions of their countrymen as valueless tickets, and indeed putting the survival of their countries beneath their own pride of command.

8 minutes ago, Cancer said:

In a hundred years, I think that people will remember the conservatives who deny the existence of the virus and oppose taking the reasonable steps against it, in the same way as the high commands of the armies in World War 1 are remembered now: Robert Nivelle, Douglas Haig, Erich Falkenhayn, Grand Duke Nicholas, etc., as heavy-handed, incompetent, status-conscious obstinate butchers incapable of adapting to a new environment, and seeing only their own status as important, and spending the lives of millions of their countrymen as valueless tickets, and indeed putting the survival of their countries beneath their own pride of command.

I'd like to share this, if I may. I will cite it as "Dr. C" for the sake of anonymity.