Coronavirus

Steve

On 7/22/2021 at 2:42 PM, archer said:

‘A tipping point’: Kansas City hospitals are turning away patients due to COVID surge

https://news.yahoo.com/tipping-point-kansas-city-hospitals-193117650.html

That didn't take long at all....

2 thoughts here...

#1:  Is it even *possible* for the anti-vaxers to learn without being compelled?  

#2:  Can the FDA pull their collective heads out and issue a full authorization based on the existing evidence?  One of the major, ongoing complaints about US medicine is that the process takes MUCH too long and costs FAR, FAR too much money.

The overall new cases rate has tripled in the last month...but some areas are, of course, rather worse than average.

A scary part is, the death rate's never dropped much below about 250 people per day, nationwide.  The new cases surge has only been in the last month...so it's not being reflected yet.  It's likely enough that the death rate won't climb up to nearly the same degree, but still, it's going to go up.

EDIT:  

Kansas doesn't update case counts daily, so it's a little hard to gauge.  Missouri does.  They're showing new cases at a per capita rate of almost 1 per 2000 people...that's pushing November rates.  Florida?  Does it surprise anyone that theirs is pushing 1 per 1500 people?

All the progress at my mother's senior apartment complex has been erased with a "Breakthrough" case of Covid that got past the Pfizer vaccine. The buildign is under a sort of quaranitn and Mpm is in a self-imposed lockdown for the next two weeks, regardless of what happens.

I don't have Covid fatigue so much as outrage. I know there is no consciousness behind a virus and cannot be assigned blame or praise. It mutates because that's what viruses do. I'm just scared that this might never end, and thjat the consequences of its not ending are potentially terrifying. What if people decide "If it' going to  mutate soon, why vaccinate now?"

On 7/21/2021 at 2:36 PM, archer said:

Moral certainty aside, I didn't like the idea of psionics.

It was kind of like tacking on something absurd like "wild magic" which doesn't follow any of the established rules for using magic onto the existing rules: it could be done but it wouldn't have been an improvement for the tone the game rules were trying to establish for the setting.

Explaining your joke means that you did it wrong and also even more derailing (although I think this is an important enough thread to survive any derailing I can accomplish), but what I meant is that Gygax meant the game to be played with fudged die rolls. The psionics rules as written are pretty crap, although I think Dark Sun eventually did a pretty good job of making the case for why they might be a good thing to have in a fantasy campaign. 

Saw this on the Book of Face earlier.

--

"i'm not proud of this but i just made a scene in public for the first time in my life. I walked into Starbucks and they asked me to put a mask on.  I yelled this is BS. I turned around and walked out. I know what you’re thinking… My first mistake was walking into a Starbucks!"

- Kevin Sorbo

"So where did you end up applying instead?"

- Rob Dean

On 7/26/2021 at 3:27 AM, assault said:

Par for the course for Sorbo. He's a "nondenominational" evangelical Christian of the RWNJ variety.

I am reminded of the old Laugh-In line (voiced by a guy tricked out like a pastor): "My church welcomes all denominations ... but my favorite is the ten-dollar bill."

CDC has had to reverse course and recommend masks even for vaccinated people, in areas where surges are occurring.

Unfortunate but sensible.  The ani-vaxers will seize on this as 'proof' that the vaccination is pointless, or some other spin, when the explanation is, the failure to vaccinate is the major factor behind this.

On 7/26/2021 at 12:52 PM, Matt the Bruins said:

One of the writers on Andromeda was a friend of a friend, so I've heard behind-the-scenes tales of Sorbo being a garbage person since the mid 2000s. Hope he doesn't end up spreading Covid-19 to any people who deserve life and good health.

It's very cool that you know someone who knows someone.  I've got an acquaintance who lives within easy viewing distance of the WB water tower but outside of being an extra a couple of times, he's not involved in TV or movies. (He's a streamer and his wife is a model. So I can hear some inside Hollywood kind of gossip in general but not about anybody who is -or was- somebody.)

Out of morbid curiosity about Sorbo, was it him expressing repugnant political beliefs? Or was it treating everyone who he considers to be an underling like garbage? Or a bit of both?

Personally, I've had to put up with a lot of people who run their mouths when they shouldn't and (before my brain injury) had a much thicker than average skin about such things.

But treating people who are right in front of you like garbage has always been something which has always been a trigger for me.

(I just finished watching binge the whole Andromeda series for the first time and enjoyed it a lot. The last season was rather odd since they abandoned the whole premise built up in the previous seasons but I still managed to enjoy it as well. So as far as your friend goes, he deserves an 'atta boy!')

16 hours ago, Cancer said:

I am reminded of the old Laugh-In line (voiced by a guy tricked out like a pastor): "My church welcomes all denominations ... but my favorite is the ten-dollar bill."

That's obviously a very old gag. It probably needs to be adjusted upward by a factor of 10 to be relevant today.

Franklin >> Hamilton

Disney said that beginning Friday, face coverings would be required for all guests ages 2 and up while in indoor portions of the parks, as well as on Disney buses, monorail and the Disney Skyliner, regardless of vaccination status. 

However, Disney said that masks would still be optional for guests in outdoor areas. 

The reversal comes after Disney World in June announced that fully vaccinated guests would no longer need to wear masks in most areas of the Orlando park. 

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/565424-disney-requiring-masks-for-parkers

On 7/27/2021 at 4:11 PM, archer said:

Out of morbid curiosity about Sorbo, was it him expressing repugnant political beliefs? Or was it treating everyone who he considers to be an underling like garbage? Or a bit of both?

Egotism and petty jealousies, chauvinism, borderline sexual harassment on set. I never heard anything about his political beliefs until they became prominent in recent years, though that revelation caused zero surprise.