Coronavirus

Steve

Figured this would probably happen.  The governor issued a new order, reinstating indoor mask mandates save while eating/drinking, effective Friday.  The order also requires vaccinations for those in medical close-contact situations, and for schools, requires vaccination or weekly testing.  The governor's office's press release noted that some hospitals are already over capacity, and the numbers are expected to continue to climb.

It came through on the neighborhood app...comments were completely turned off on it, leaving it as just the announcement, and a link to the story.  Just as well.  The anti-maskers would've been screaming, and the pro-maskers would've responded.  We've had these before, and it got SERIOUSLY!!! ugly practically immediately, and stayed vicious until the thread was shut down.

24 minutes ago, Pariah said:

The real face palm moment is that they were caught because they listed their kids as vaccinated...when they're 4 and 5.  Vaccine's not being given to under 12.

Makes me feel really bad for the kids.

The teachers apparently are a bit reticent to press charges, in the interest of trying to maintain reasonable relationships with the parents.  I can understand that.

This is probably going to get worse before it gets better.  Story on CNN today about parents pulling kids out of, IIRC, Cobb County (Georgia) schools because of inadequate mask requirements, and therefore in their view, unsafe environments.  Some were clear-cut...asthma cases, one of the kids was a leukemia survivor and thus immunocompromised.  And the school district in Texas where the board added masks as part of the dress code.

I can...somewhat...understand the assertion that not wearing a mask is a matter of personal choice...but it is reckless, in my mind, to put *kids* at risk.  And shows, at least to me, callous selfishness.  

But the pattern's cast in carbonite now.  There's no indication whatsoever that it'll change willingly.  That's why we're seeing more and more governmental and corporate vaccination requirements.  Carrot won't work?  Fine, break out the stick.

Surprise, surprise....Abbott appealed straight to the Texas Supreme Court to rule on local school districts passing their own mask mandates.  The Court refused to intervene.  This isn't a win for the districts;  it did not affirm their right to make the mandates.  Abbott is being forced to go through the normal appeals process, through lower courts.  MUCH slower process.  It may also push more districts to pass their own mandates.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

That's simple assault.  Good luck finding a judge in Texas who'd make that ruling, though.

Under TX law it isn't misdemeanor assault. 

It's automatically a felony assault because it was done to a public employee while that person was working.

If the DA wanted to be really nasty about it, he could try for felony assault with a deadly weapon since the object of the assault was to infect the teacher with a deadly disease. That's tactic has been used successfully in rape cases where the attacker has AIDS so an aggressive prosecutor could try for it here.

Of course it being TX, I'd assume the DA will throw a ticker tape parade for the person who committed the assault rather than prosecuting but that's another matter.

The teacher and the teacher's union could also sue the attacker in a civil case.

Hospitals in North Texas have "quietly developed" a plan to allow doctors to take vaccination status into account when deciding how to triage intensive-care beds if the coronavirus pandemic overwhelms ICUs.

https://www.rawstory.com/texas-hospitals/

So basically the plan is that in North Texas if two patients need an ICU bed and only one bed is available (like is happening in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and perhaps elsewhere), the person who got vaccinated will get the bed.

I have to say that sounds 100% fair to me: the more responsible person gets the bed and the irresponsible person doesn't.

11 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I can...somewhat...understand the assertion that not wearing a mask is a matter of personal choice...but it is reckless, in my mind, to put *kids* at risk.  And shows, at least to me, callous selfishness.

A "personal choice".  Kind of like whether to wear a seatbelt, smoke tobacco, smoke marijuana, drink alcohol, drive 55, urinate in the street, yell "fire" in a crowded restaurant or wear a shirt and shoes to the restaurant?  Clearly we would never DREAM of restricting those rights to personal choice, so how can we possibly mandate mask-wearing?

23 hours ago, archer said:

Hospitals in North Texas have "quietly developed" a plan to allow doctors to take vaccination status into account when deciding how to triage intensive-care beds if the coronavirus pandemic overwhelms ICUs.

https://www.rawstory.com/texas-hospitals/

So basically the plan is that in North Texas if two patients need an ICU bed and only one bed is available (like is happening in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and perhaps elsewhere), the person who got vaccinated will get the bed.

I have to say that sounds 100% fair to me: the more responsible person gets the bed and the irresponsible person doesn't.

I wonder how that interacts with consideration that unvaccinated patients who lost a game of Covid roulette mostly won't be competing with vaccinated Covid-19 patients for ICU beds; they'll be competing with people who need treatment for heart attacks, strokes, traumatic brain injuries, cancer, etc.

44 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I wonder how that interacts with consideration that unvaccinated patients who lost a game of Covid roulette mostly won't be competing with vaccinated Covid-19 patients for ICU beds; they'll be competing with people who need treatment for heart attacks, strokes, traumatic brain injuries, cancer, etc.

Is that the case?

At this point...and for, heck, over a year now...I was under the impression that the ICU problem was because of Covid patients.  They've been dwarfing ICU cases from *all other* sources by a wide margin.

And as I read the story?  I think the intent is to say that non-vax Covids are the LOWEST priority for the ICU beds.