Coronavirus

Steve

Story in the NYT this morning...the Federation of State Medical Boards is suggesting their member states to consider penalties, including revoking licenses, for doctors who spread disinformation and lies about Covid-19.  The AMA calls doing so a violation of medical ethics.

The damage has already been done, but hopefully this'll happen.  I'd rather it went further, but it'd be hard to charge these scammers (and they are profiting from it) with the serious charges I think they deserve.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

(I imagine a ventilator is rather more uncomfortable than a mask as well)

And a bit more expensive.

Delta Airlines announced that they would start charging an extra $200 a month to employees who have not been vaccinated.  This may not withstand legal challenges, but the reason?  The average hospital bill to Delta from Covid-19 has been $50,000.  And everyone who had to be hospitalized, had not been vaccinated.

$50K buys a lotta masks...and a new truck along with em...

The only thing that I have about masks is that they (especially the disposable) have an appearance of separation.  With so many people coming out with masks that are rather fancy,  that's been making it so that I would consider going for one even after the restrictions are permanently removed. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/unvaccinated-unmasked-teacher-spreads-covid-19-elementary-school-students-cdc-n1277852

No printable words to describe my reaction to most of the story.

But then there's this part at the end of the story where the CDC basically admits that a 72% vaccination rate in the county isn't enough to stop community transmission...which is what I've been saying since March 2020. If you have a virus that's as infectious as measles, you need a 90%+ vaccination rate.

3 hours ago, archer said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/unvaccinated-unmasked-teacher-spreads-covid-19-elementary-school-students-cdc-n1277852

No printable words to describe my reaction to most of the story.

But then there's this part at the end of the story where the CDC basically admits that a 72% vaccination rate in the county isn't enough to stop community transmission...which is what I've been saying since March 2020. If you have a virus that's as infectious as measles, you need a 90%+ vaccination rate.

I hear ya.  My printable reactions...

#1:  Can the teacher be fired?  Probably not.  Can the teacher be sued?  Also probably not  The grounds for either or both, tho, are the fact that she went to work *knowing* she was unvaccinated and suffering from symptoms that *could be* Covid.

#2:  That school district had better pass a vaccine mandate ASAP.  If it takes an emergency board meeting, call it now.

#3:  ANY board member who doesn't push for a mandate now should be the subject of a recall election.

It probably hasn't helped, PG. The problem is, this virus was only identified in 2019. The CDC and virologists generally have had to learn about it on the fly, and base their advice on the best science available at the time. Two things making that harder are the virus's knack for mutating into something even worse, and the refusal of so many people (in the US and some other countries) to follow medical advice, altering the environment for the virus to thrive in.

I saw this today and thought it good enough to share.  Source is:  'Freedom Cafe' description is a perfect response to arguments against mask requirements - Upworthy 

"Welcome to the Freedom Cafe!  We trust you to make your own choices if you want to wear a face mask. And, in the same spirit of individual liberty, we allow our staff to make their own choices about the safety procedures they prefer to follow as they prepare and serve your food."

"We encourage employees to wash their hands after using the bathroom, but understand that some people may be allergic to certain soaps or may simply prefer not to wash their hands. It is not our place to tell them what to do."

"We understand that you may be used to chicken that has been cooked to 165 degrees. We do have to respect that some of our cooks may have seen a meme or a YouTube video saying that 100 degrees is sufficient, and we do not want to encroach on their beliefs."

"Some of our cooks may prefer to use the same utensils for multiple ingredients, including ingredients some customers are allergic to. That is a cook's right to do so."

"Some servers may wish to touch your food as they serve it. There is no reason that a healthy person with clean hands can't touch your food. We will take their word for it that they are healthy and clean."

"Water temperature and detergent are highly personal choices, and we allow our dishwashing team to decide how they'd prefer to wash the silverware you will put in your mouth.

"Some of you may get sick, but almost everyone survives food poisoning. We think you'll agree that it's a small price to pay for the sweet freedom of no one ever being told what to do - and especially not for the silly reason of keeping strangers healthy."

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Funny, a week ago Sunday, our Bishop got up at the end of the service and pleaded with the congregation to get vaccinated and to wear masks so that we wouldn't have to go back to having church over Zoom. Different perspectives, I guess.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

The story has the group's CEO trying to justify the action.  Worth reading in and of itself.

Yeah, sorry Mr. Miller, but you're a tool. You're a tool, you're a tool, you're an enormous tool.