Coronavirus

Steve

52 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Hospital being forced to give dewoming drug to COVID patient.  

I guess guzzling bleach didn't work.

Though I liked seeing this part:  "As part of the complaint filed to the judge, Julie Smith signed a full release that relieved West Chester Hospital of any liability related to the ivermectin treatment."

Well, there's a judge who needs to be recalled in the next election cycle. Sadly, this being Ohio, it's highly unlikely that that will happen.

People who don't trust doctors when they say COVID vaccines are safe and effective, are turning to a livestock anti-parasite drug they read about on somebody's blog. I can't follow the mental gymnastics required to get to that place.

But what incenses me is that people with supposed medical degrees are actively promoting a medication for this virus for which no evidence exists that it works, that hasn't been government approved or even studied by qualified doctors for this purpose, that has known risks and contraindications especially for seriously ill patients, and which may interfere with other treatments that could actually help. Where in Hell did these people get their training?! This is an affront to fundamental principles of science and medical ethics! :thumbdown

An article in the August '21 Harper's may help. It's primarily about the recent fad for quoting Hannah Arendt re: fascism, totalitarianism, and lies by governments. (Summary: People quoting Arendt to condemn Donald Trump are mis-applying what she wrote.) But one subject is about the state of mind people often fall into when they have been lied to about something big, or lied to many times: a condition of all-encompassing disbelief and cynicism. Anything might be a lie, and probably is; the effort to sift truth from falsehood is futile; so while nothing is true, anything is possible.

Though this goes beyond the article, it follows that the normal, sane standards of competent authority are turned upside down. The more the source of a claim is perceived as an established authority, the less it is believed -- because the Establishment, of whatever kind, must be lying to maintain its position of presumed power. Conversely, the suppressed message is more likely to be true, precisely because it is suppressed. Ad if you don't know anything about the subject, whether it's science, medicine, or what-have-you -- how are you to recognize deranged nonsense when you hear it? Why wouldn't a malaria drug, a deworming drug, or, heck, shooting up with bleach,  be effective against Covid?

(Or, getting back to Arendt, why wouldn't you believe a blustering madman who claims all your problems are caused by Jews? [Hitler] Or counterrevolutionary capitalists? [Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot] Or Communists? [McCarthy] Or gays, or Central American migrants, or witches. You are the perfect citizen for a totalitarian state and its world of ideological fantasy, because you will never break and say, "No, this isn't true.")

Unfortunately... Between government, political provocateurs and advertising, we swim in lies. And I suspect we all know it. Is it any wonder that some people drown?

Dean Shomshak

Direct from the UN about the mu variant

CDC's variant proportions tracker -- data updated weekly, last updated for week ending August 28.  Mu is not on that tracker as I type this.

Looking at that proportions tracker ... it tells you quite directly how fast a virus evolves.  In mid-June the delta variant was roughly a quarter of all infections.  A month later it was over 80%, and in the last update it was over 99%.

I don't find anything on the CDC site today mentioning the mu variant.  I expect that will change soon.

Opening para of an opinion piece in the NYT today, written by a Christian member of the faculty at Duke Divinity School:

Religious exemptions to employer mandates are a precious right in our democracy. This is why it is especially important not to offer such exemptions to coronavirus vaccine mandates. They make a mockery of Christianity and religious liberty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/06/opinion/religious-exemptions-vaccine-mandates.html

On 8/31/2021 at 5:05 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

Hospital being forced to give dewoming drug to COVID patient.  

I guess guzzling bleach didn't work.

Though I liked seeing this part:  "As part of the complaint filed to the judge, Julie Smith signed a full release that relieved West Chester Hospital of any liability related to the ivermectin treatment."

New news on this front: Judge says Ohio hospital cannot be forced to use ivermectin to treat Covid, reversing earlier decision

Among the comments from this judge: Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Michael Oster Jr. wrote that there “was no doubt that the medical and scientific communities do not support the use of ivermectin as a treatment for Covid-19.”

2 hours ago, Tom Cowan said:

Thank the anti-vax crowd.

There are 5 states with less than a 40% vaccination rate...they're all quite similar, percentage-wise (39.8% to 39.3%), and the lowest in the country.  West Virginia, Idaho, Mississippi, Alabama, Wyoming.

What's exacerbating the problem is burnout.  It's been 18 months of relentless, intense pressure in the ICUs, so...we can't be surprised at that.  

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

This virus is going to be intensely studied for years to come.  Yes, there's the "thank you, Captain Obvious" angle to that statement;  treatments and preventatives will be a huge subject for some time.  But it's also a very bizarre disease, where medical researchers will want to investigate what it does, how it does it, why it does things like this in a small number of cases, etc.