Coronavirus

Steve

Key word there is MIGHT.  Best I can tell, while some are saying the FDA is approving the drug...most others are NOT.  So, yes, I'm glad to hear the results, but...don't think we'll have this broken in a couple of weeks.  

I also don't say this to criticize;  it's not aimed at anyone.  A problem that will grow is the pressure to deploy something...anything...to try to get back to something like normal.  With mounting, soon to be massive job losses, loss of services, fear, and frustration, it's inevitable.  And of course, just the sheer numbers.  I'm actually more optimistic about the treatments they're trying, because they're well known generally.  How they interact with corona...that's not, but monitoring things will be much simpler, I would think.

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

On the super positive side they've run case studies in three different countries and they're having 100% success rate with Chloroquine (Malaria drug) and Azithromycin (z-pack - common as common gets).

They're currently trying to race approval through the FDA and get local manufacture of the Chloroquine in the USA.

This thing might be beat in the very near future.

Apocalypse averted.

Chloroquine is lethal with as little as double the recommended daily dose i.e. two grams rather than one. The drug is known to have short-term side effects such as nausea, diarrhea and tinnitus while long-term use can irreversibly impair eyesight. It’s forbidden for pregnant women as it can cause congenital defects in babies. China Health Commission revised the dosage in a Feb. 29 notice tightening chloroquine use. The drug cannot be given to pregnant women, those with heart disease, terminal liver and renal disease, retina and hearing loss and patients on antibiotics such as azithromycin and steroid.

A woman in Wuhan proved how lethal chloroquine can be when it’s taken beyond the recommended dose. On Feb. 25, Shanghai-based The Paper reported that she took 1.8 grams of the drug she ordered online after suspecting she had the coronavirus. She did not, but the drug caused her to develop malignant cardiac arrhythmic, which can cause sudden death, and she was admitted to the intensive care unit.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/covid-19-drug-touted-by-trump-and-musk-has-one-problem-two-grams-can-kill-a-human

Hope is good, but we're too accustomed to thinking science can develop a magic bullet to solve any problem. Reality has repeatedly demonstrated it usually takes more time and work, the result isn't perfect, and often causes as many problems as it solves.

Well, let's see... Family check...

Mom and Step-dad are in the high risk group but both are retired.  Except for step-dad's obsessive need to grocery shop (even when there's no apocalypse) he won't contact nearly anyone.

Cousin and his girlfriend... My cousin is still working at his golf course, not sure why that's open, guess it's not a contact enough sport.  His girlfriend had her restaurant fold.  Not close down temporarily, just close for good because of this, so she' unemployed.

My brother worked for the same catering company since high school.  So.. 40 years?  Well, they went under.  The apocalypse will not be catered.  His wife is on the east coast with her dad who is high risk.

I work for a federal agency that has been mentioned prominently in the president's recent speeches.  I still go to work.  I'm one of the few in the office who has things they have to do in person, while everyone else telecommutes.  I run into maybe two human beings (other employees) during the commute/work/return commute day.

So it's the collateral damage, not the virus that's affecting my clan.  Went from 2 retired, five working, to 2 retired, two unemployed, 1 temporarily unemployed, 2 working.

I could use the time off but can't do it.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

So it's the collateral damage, not the virus that's affecting my clan.  Went from 2 retired, five working, to 2 retired, two unemployed, 1 temporarily unemployed, 2 working.

This is my concern for the quarantine efforts.  How much financial ruin can we absorb before the remedy is worse than the disease?

8 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Who here is already under a shelter-in-place order? And how are you coping if you are?

I’m under one here in California. My refrigerator chose this week to die, and then the order went out to close down the state one day before a new one could be delivered from Best Buy. I have to go out every couple of days for ice now to keep milk and eggs in the house.

I’ve been telecommuting all week for my job, and it’s actually been pretty productive.

Our governor made an announcement at 1:30 PM that non-essential business really need to close. My boss's boss then decided that maybe property IT Techs shouldn't come in, but we should still work from home 40 hours a week because we're still getting paid. Since we were the "boots on the ground", there's a very limited set of things that we can do from home that's not covered by the help desk. Oh, and as of right now, we don't have remote access to our workstations. I've got my work phone, so I can read and send emails, texts, and the like, and I can see our ticketing system, though I probably won't be able to do anything about the tickets. I figure that things will settle by Monday, and I'll know something more about what tasks I'll be expected to do.

Also under the California shelter-in-place order. My wife is a special needs educator and is doing everything via Zoom including meeting with parents and other teachers. I'm a software implementation engineer, so I was already working periodically from home, so this has had zero impact on me, other than now being permanently home until further notice. However, most of my customers are healthcare, so as you might imagine, all the hospitals are canceling their projects and thus my customer work is now just trickling in if at all. It's giving us a lot of time to get internal initiatives completed before the tsunami of work hits us hard. I am far more concerned about my parents and in-laws who live in Kentucky and Tennessee respectively. They have no immediate family and if they are hit by it, it is going to be difficult in many ways.

The U.S. case rate is now equivalent to that of Spain.  At the 18-day mark, the three worst trajectories are China, Spain, and the U.S.  Germany, Italy, and Iran are the next three.

Hong Kong still has few cases but their graph is starting to curve upward.

Turkey has gone from 100 to 670 cases in two days.

57 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I hear there's a panicked order for down coats from the Nether Realms....

It is not that cold in my basement.

And with the fingerless gloves that I got for Christmas, and a sweatshirt, I can spend extended time down there.  Which I will have to, since that's where I'll be teaching my class down there.