Coronavirus

Steve

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

Sometimes, the problems solve themselves.

Is it bad to think this way?

Yes, but there are limits to how long anyone can put up with their stupidity and the damage it does to *everyone*.  Story emailed from NYT broke down rates at more local levels...the red/blue state split is sharp, but as one can expect, breaking it down to county level it's even more dramatic.  

I don't think any of us here feel that, without the anti-vax movement, we'd be mostly back to normal.

15 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Yes, but there are limits to how long anyone can put up with their stupidity and the damage it does to *everyone*.  Story emailed from NYT broke down rates at more local levels...the red/blue state split is sharp, but as one can expect, breaking it down to county level it's even more dramatic.  

I don't think any of us here feel that, without the anti-vax movement, we'd be mostly back to normal.

Yeah, my wife's wanting to go visit a cousin in TN who told her that there wasn't anyone in her county who has COVID (when on national hotspot maps, it's showing that area covered up in new cases).

So I found the TN health department's website which shows a county-by-county breakdown of cases and it showed her very rural low-population county with hundreds of new cases per week.

Turns out she wasn't aware because it isn't mentioned in her local news sources.

She and her husband both has COVID last year and he's been one of those long-haul permanently damaged cases.

Their local doctor is anti-vax and advised neither of them to get vaccinated because of the "dangers" of the vaccine...with her husband having on-going breathing problems.

Personally, I'm getting more in the mood for torches and pitchforks than with "increased sanctions by social media outlets" as a way to deal with anti-vaxxers....

9 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I'd love to be proven wrong, but at this point I see no other way for the United States out of this paralyzing national mass delusion, than for enough of the deluded to die off, either from this virus of from natural causes. It will take at least a generation to purge the effect of so many lies.

2 hours ago, archer said:

Yeah, my wife's wanting to go visit a cousin in TN who told her that there wasn't anyone in her county who has COVID (when on national hotspot maps, it's showing that area covered up in new cases).

So I found the TN health department's website which shows a county-by-county breakdown of cases and it showed her very rural low-population county with hundreds of new cases per week.

Turns out she wasn't aware because it isn't mentioned in her local news sources.

This is the conduct of state-controlled media in dictatorial nations. Ignore any developments which would inconvenience the faction you're aligned with.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'd love to be proven wrong, but at this point I see no other way for the United States out of this paralyzing national mass delusion, than for enough of the deluded to die off, either from this virus of from natural causes. It will take at least a generation to purge the effect of so many lies.

I'd love it too, but the death rate won't be high enough.  This isn't a single generation;  the movement won't end, say, when Trump's gone.  And it's getting worse, in that they now have a fairly sympathetic Supreme Court.  It isn't clear that this Court will let them do everything they want...probably not...but the line has definitely shifted significantly to the right.  Now combine this with their extensive propaganda machine, and the lies will perpetuate until they can be crushed.  THAT would require a whole bunch of clear, direct evidence that, say, multiple Fox hosts, Murdoch, the indie hosts like Limbaugh, etc. have been conspiring and lying for decades.  They have to be completely discredited at their core.  And that...is probably impossible.

Just look at how readily they deny, dismiss, or outright ignore the Covid death facts.  If that can't move them, nothing can.

Do not overlook the provocations from the Russian trollbots.  I am almost to the point of advocating a nuclear strike on major cities in Russia to remove the dictator and and his security system, and the technology assets under their control, for the malicious, deliberate destabilization they are carrying out.

19 hours ago, archer said:

She and her husband both has COVID last year and he's been one of those long-haul permanently damaged cases.

Their local doctor is anti-vax and advised neither of them to get vaccinated because of the "dangers" of the vaccine...with her husband having on-going breathing problems.

Personally, I'm getting more in the mood for torches and pitchforks than with "increased sanctions by social media outlets" as a way to deal with anti-vaxxers....

I say this with a lot of love for some who are Tennesseans like myself...

should you see our 'Welcome to Tennessee' or 'You are now Entering  Tennessee"  signs on the road ahead of you?

Immediately pull a U turn and save yourselves.

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

Do not overlook the provocations from the Russian trollbots.  I am almost to the point of advocating a nuclear strike on major cities in Russia to remove the dictator and and his security system, and the technology assets under their control, for the malicious, deliberate destabilization they are carrying out.

I know that was hyperbole, but that kind of talk still makes me uneasy.

A hackers look inside the anti-vaxx group named "America's Frontline Doctors"

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/28/covid-telehealth-hydroxychloroquine-ivermectin-hacked/

Includes data on how many patients have paid them for consultations and quack remedies.

Also includes text of the new disclaimer on the doctor's small role in the process which absolves the doctor of any blame if the patient actually takes any of the "cures" that the salesmen recommend. (The process appears to be the dupe pays $90 to talk to a salesman who sees which variety of snake oil the dupe is open to purchasing. The salesman then recommends that snake oil cure. The patient then fills out a form to request a doctor write a prescription whenever the recommended "cure" is some prescription medicine which doesn't affect COVID.)

Lady P has an acquaintance who is a chiropractor. He's been telling people that with regular adjustments and certain supplements (which he may or may not sell at his practice, I honestly don't know), the human immune response can easily handle COVID-19. Ergo, it's not necessary to get vaccinated.

On 9/23/2021 at 4:01 PM, Pariah said:

One of Lady P's oldest friends is in the hospital with COVID-19. He's been there for several days, and a couple of days ago he went on a ventilator. He has pneumonia and may be developing blood clots. He's strong, but the prognosis isn't good.

He's gone.

So sad. So stupid. So unnecessary. 

2 hours ago, archer said:

A hackers look inside the anti-vaxx group named "America's Frontline Doctors"

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/28/covid-telehealth-hydroxychloroquine-ivermectin-hacked/

Includes data on how many patients have paid them for consultations and quack remedies.

Also includes text of the new disclaimer on the doctor's small role in the process which absolves the doctor of any blame if the patient actually takes any of the "cures" that the salesmen recommend. (The process appears to be the dupe pays $90 to talk to a salesman who sees which variety of snake oil the dupe is open to purchasing. The salesman then recommends that snake oil cure. The patient then fills out a form to request a doctor write a prescription whenever the recommended "cure" is some prescription medicine which doesn't affect COVID.)

Didn't we point out this was happening, at least with some individual doctors, some months back?  Pretty sure of that.

But this shows a much higher degree of collusion than I recall, and would seem to form a de facto conspiracy to defraud.

54 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Didn't we point out this was happening, at least with some individual doctors, some months back?  Pretty sure of that.

But this shows a much higher degree of collusion than I recall, and would seem to form a de facto conspiracy to defraud.

Once you start talking about and organization which is colluding to commit fraud, that's automatically a slam dunk RICO case, basically reason the law was passed.

I don't really understand the government's willingness to go after individuals on RICO grounds on the flimsiest excuses that the might be involved in the illegal drug trade (by having a few thousand dollars of cash on them, for example) but do backflips to avoid RICO investigations of actual organizations which might be criminal.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

Necessary but not sufficient...altho nothing in the story says the punishment will end there, per se.  But it probably will.  You'd think some form of crime was being committed, and even if she never goes to jail, a solid conviction, preferably on a felony charge if one can be laid, sends a MUCH stronger message than a license suspension.