Coronavirus

Steve

We Knew Bolsonaro Was Guilty. Now We Have 1,288 Pages of Proof.

If my country had managed just an average response to the pandemic, over 400,000 Brazilians would still be alive. That’s the stark conclusion of the epidemiologist Pedro Hallal, whose testimony, along with many others, is collected in the final report on the government’s handling of Covid-19. Released last week, it’s the culmination of a riveting monthslong congressional inquiry.

We don’t know, of course, exactly how many of the country’s 606,000 deaths could have been averted: Mr. Hallal’s is just one estimate. But the truth is that we don’t have an average president. Not even a slightly bad one. We have Jair Bolsonaro, a man who maintains that the primary victims of Covid-19 have been “the obese and those who became frightened.”

It was about time someone documented Mr. Bolsonaro’s catastrophic stewardship of the country through the pandemic, and the 1,288-page report does just that. (I read it and I’m still burning with rage.) Painstakingly assembled, it details how Mr. Bolsonaro actively helped to spread the virus, no matter the cost to human life. And it recommends that he be charged with nine crimes, including irregular use of public funds, violation of social rights and, most damningly, crimes against humanity.

There is no doubt in my mind that Bolsonaro is guilty of crimes against humanity;  I've said that several times.  If no charges can be brought in Brazil, then yes, I'd love to see the International Criminal Court bring him and the others mentioned to trial...but that seems unlikely.  I don't know the mandate of the ICC, but it doesn't feel like this is in that mandate.  Most of what's in there amounts to corruption...of a particularly heinous type, but corruption, profiteering, and incompetence.  The charge of genocide against the indigenous people...that was removed.  That's the one where an ICC case might well exist, it feels like.

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

By this time tomorrow, more or less, we will pass an awful marker.

5,000,000 people dying from Covid-19.

And in less than 2 weeks, we will surpass 250,000,000 cases.

I don't track or mark most of the statistics much any more, but these 2 strike me.  It feels appropriate to note them.  Light a candle.  Spend time reflecting.  Pray, if you like.  

In April of 2020 the U.S. death toll stood at 12,748, approaching the death toll of the Mexican-American War.  I was mocked in other venues for making this comparison and being alarmist.

Since then the U.S. covid casualty count has exceeded that from every U.S. war and every U.S. pandemic.

Since [institution]'s random COVID-19 testing was implemented in early October, no faculty or staff members have tested positive as part of the program. With gratitude for these successful results, the university is pleased to announce that faculty and staff surveillance testing is suspended, effective immediately. The small number of faculty and staff with approved medical or religious exemptions will continue to test weekly.

:celebrate  My employer, an announcement made today.

So I started fighting off my annual November head cold a couple of days ago. Lady P was concerned, so we all went and got tested this morning. She and the kids came back negative. I came back positive.

It's the weirdest thing. I haven't had any of the so-called typical covid symptoms. My smell and taste are just fine, I haven't had a fever, etc. It has just felt like a bad cold. But the test came back positive all the same.

I did receive the vaccine in January and February. That's the soonest it was available in my area, and because I'm a public school teacher over 50 I was on the high priority list. I assume, or maybe I'm just hoping, that's why my symptoms have been comparatively mild.

So I'm in quarantine for the next 10 days, and unfortunately my family is too. I hate that my wife and my kids are all missing school next week because of me. I confess, I'm not thrilled with the idea of missing a week of school myself, but I'll figure it out. I swear, being a teacher is the only profession where it's harder to stay home than to actually go into work.

Wish us luck, everybody!

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

So I started fighting off my annual November head cold a couple of days ago. Lady P was concerned, so we all went and got tested this morning. She and the kids came back negative. I came back positive.

It's the weirdest thing. I haven't had any of the so-called typical covid symptoms. My smell and taste are just fine, I haven't had a fever, etc. It has just felt like a bad cold. But the test came back positive all the same.

I did receive the vaccine in January and February. That's the soonest it was available in my area, and because I'm a public school teacher over 50 I was on the high priority list. I assume, or maybe I'm just hoping, that's why my symptoms have been comparatively mild.

High probability that is the reason. That was the priority for the vaccines, to keep vulnerable people out of the ICU, and the morgue. Under the circumstances you have good reason to be optimistic.

I hope you're back with the ungrateful little wretches your students soon. :thumbup:

Hey!  We weren't ungrateful, we were just selfish, self-centered reflections of our generation.  I mean, really..."ungrateful" suggests we paid attention to our teachers.......

(How many of us could name...oh, let's say, 10 teachers from middle school through high school?  Probably, if I worked at it, but 10 would take some effort.)

Let's see, just offhand I can name three science teachers, two math teachers, two English teachers, and two social studies teachers from high school. I can also name a science teacher and a PE teacher from middle school and my 4th and 5th grade teachers from elementary school. 

(I may have an unfair advantage in this. Since my Mom was a teacher for almost 30 years, some of the aforementioned teachers were family friends.)

Spoiler

Mrs Hammond

Mrs Fosburg

Mrs Marquis

Mrs Ahern

Mr LaCroix

Mr Godwin

Mrs Holbrook

Mr Driscoll

Mrs Silva (was homeroom teacher all 4 years of high school and also my AP History teacher in my senior year), Mr Burke (chorus teacher), Mrs Burke (religion teacher), Mr Booth ([EXPLETIVE] drama AND psychology teacher)