Coronavirus

Steve

9 hours ago, Simon said:

And...just tested positive (home test, so no info on variant).

Mild symptoms -- mostly a minor head cold so far (low grade headache, congested sinuses, and fatigue).  Maybe shortness of breath, but not really noticeable.  Hoping it stays this way.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Lots of fluids, lots of rest, lots of Disney+. Hey, it worked for me.

1 hour ago, Greywind said:

1456605101_ScreenShot2021-12-24at4_37_45PM.thumb.png.b0acd4dc7e7fc09d782845d6cb9caeac.png

Sweden's waves lag Austria's by about a month, so Mr. Durden has shrewdly published his article in between. 

Of course the bigger scandal is the story that Sweden imposed no restrictions--certainly they did so for a few weeks at the start of the pandemic, but as soon as they got a clue they quickly restricted large gatherings, closed bars, forced reduced restaurant capacity, and closed their borders.  Many of these measures were rescinded in the summer so it'll be interesting to see what this graph looks like in February.

I especially liked Durden's claim that influenza was "displaced" by the coronavirus, when what actually happened was that the NPIs worked better against flu than against covid.  It's possible that one of the four main lineages of influenza was eradicated by the lockdown measures, but time will tell.

55 minutes ago, Greywind said:

Makes me wonder why you fear a different opinion.

I don't fear a different, legitimate opinion.  I do fear disinformation.  The sites you've posted are clearly alt-right disinformation sites.  The damage that's already been done by their campaign gives me a zero tolerance policy.

47 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I don't fear a different, legitimate opinion.  I do fear disinformation.  The sites you've posted are clearly alt-right disinformation sites.  The damage that's already been done by their campaign gives me a zero tolerance policy.

As Old Man pointed out, the article is deliberately misleading, as a cursory examination of the data on the graph shows. That isn't opinion, that's demonstrated by the example provided.