Coronavirus

Steve

5 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I was basing the "justice" part on this:

Sorry for the confusion, Sir.  

I am familiar with his unconscionable actions.  I was referring to calling it "poetic justice" as opposed to the cheering and gleeful celebrations found elsewhere on the internet.  I one-hundred percent think these people need to be held accountable for such blatantly crass action.  I just don't think killing them-- while quite final, as solutions go-- is really going to help.  

5 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I was basing the "justice" part on this:

"...he called in to the Zanzara radio program ... and openly told listeners he was seriously ill, with a high fever, but had made a point to stroll through a crowded grocery store maskless."  (emphasis mine)

This goes beyond monumental stupidity or willful ignorance and straight into deliberate, premediated malice.  Even if one accepts the idiot's assertion that COVID doesn't exist, he knew he was sick (presumably with flu? which is still potentially deadly) and went around *trying* to infect others.  To me, this is akin to that guy who knew he had AIDS but continued having unprotected sex and spreading it to many, many others.   You're a much better person than me, Duke, because I really feel the gene pool is a bit cleaner without someone like this swimming around in it.

Which is why I don't think it was justice.

He spent the last, what was it, 22 days in the hospital.  Resources are greatly strained as it is.

I am of the opinion that...while it's extreme, it is possible for someone to forfeit his right to be considered human.  Granted, determining who should have this kind of authority, and the grounds under which such a penalty could be applied, would be massively problematic.  

First day out of self-isolation.  Never got much worse than a middling head cold...and I apparently isolated well enough that my wife never caught it (she's been testing throughout -- all negative).

Thank you vaccines and booster for what seems to have been a very mild case.  Apart from 10 days of enforced boredom (where I never left the bedroom), not too bad....and the enforced boredom was likely something that I kind of needed...

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Had my booster shot yesterday. I experienced absolutely no symptoms. I feel oddly disappointed.

Well, symptoms do tell you that the vaccine did something.  My only symptom has been lingering soreness at the injection site for the rest of the day, which was enough to assure me that there was a reaction but not inconvenience me.  

About the only good news.

From WorldOMeters:  almost 2.5 million new cases in the US in the last *week*.  By comparison, a year ago, the highest was a bit under 1.8 million.

US hospitalizations have exploded as well:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/current-covid-patients-hospital?country=USA

And note that this spike probably does not fully reflect the explosion of new cases;  I doubt there's been enough time for that.  (Especially given that there've been literally a million new cases *yesterday and today*.)

Worldwide, daily new cases hit almost 2 million *today*.  Dec. 28th was, it looks like, the first day to ever surpass 1M, at 1.3M and some.  Almost 1.9M today.  

Stay home this New Year's, folks...or with a group of friends you can trust to be vaccinated, and hopefully to NOT BE IDIOTS.  I know it bites;  I want this over too.  But this spike is like nothing we've faced to date.  We can hope it won't last, but for now...?  With the typical drinking (heavy) that goes on?  Not a chance.

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Had my booster shot yesterday. I experienced absolutely no symptoms. I feel oddly disappointed.

Getting mine tomorrow - Alberta Health Services will be delivering shots on New Year's Day.

The health care workers are in desperate need of a respite - help them out by doing your best not to catch or transmit the virus, OK?