Coronavirus

Steve

While reading about something else altogether, I blundered upon a probably relevant historical episode for comparison to the current pandemic.  I had not previously heard of the pandemic of 1890, but it seems to have rather more in common with the as-yet-ongoing pandemic than the influenza pandemic of 1918 does.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

While reading about something else altogether, I blundered upon a probably relevant historical episode for comparison to the current pandemic.  I had not previously heard of the pandemic of 1890, but it seems to have rather more in common with the as-yet-ongoing pandemic than the influenza pandemic of 1918 does.

I read an article a month or two ago that explicitly spelled out the similarities between the current pandemic and that one. It was a little disheartening because the Russian flu was probably a coronavirus and is probably still going around. 

Reactions to the vaccines have been unpredictable. My only significant effects came from my first shot, and they weren't unexpected or lingering. Second was far milder, and my first booster had no perceptible effects.

I'm getting my second booster tomorrow. I had a choice between Pfizer or Moderna (my first two shots were AstraZeneca, my booster was Pfizer), and I picked the Moderna vaccine because research suggests using different vaccines increases the immune response. But I don't know how I'll react to this one, so I cleared my schedule for Monday.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:29 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Reactions to the vaccines have been unpredictable. My only significant effects came from my first shot, and they weren't unexpected or lingering. Second was far milder, and my first booster had no perceptible effects.

I'm getting my second booster tomorrow. I had a choice between Pfizer or Moderna (my first two shots were AstraZeneca, my booster was Pfizer), and I picked the Moderna vaccine because research suggests using different vaccines increases the immune response. But I don't know how I'll react to this one, so I cleared my schedule for Monday.

Following up in case anyone's curious: I started feeling some symptoms about ten hours after the shot: runny nose, slight hoarseness (both mostly gone now), and a little pain in my shoulder. The pain has increased overnight, but is still tolerable and not impairing. Overall I think I got off pretty lightly, but I'm glad there were some noticeable effects, as that implies the vaccine is working.

Just sharing this here in case it helps somebody else:  I started feeling a scratchy throat on Sunday, and took an at-home COVID test which returned a negative result.  My symptoms erupted into what seemed to be a full-on head cold by the next day, and continued unabated Tuesday.  Someone suggested that I test again, which I did, and: strongly positive result this time.  Some follow-up Googling educated me that this is at least not uncommon with Omicron, where symptoms can start while the viral load is still low enough not to be picked up reliably by at-home tests.  Re-testing on the 3rd or 5th day after symptoms begin may be advisable.

(I'm not a health care professional, this is just from my own experience, etc., etc. - again, just putting it out there to help anyone else who may not have been aware of this.)

I'm fully vaccinated & double-boosted.  The symptoms have remained at bad-cold levels so far, thankfully - no shortness of breath or anything more serious.  I just get to play the isolation game, oh boy.

20 hours ago, rravenwood said:

Just sharing this here in case it helps somebody else:  I started feeling a scratchy throat on Sunday, and took an at-home COVID test which returned a negative result.  My symptoms erupted into what seemed to be a full-on head cold by the next day, and continued unabated Tuesday.  Someone suggested that I test again, which I did, and: strongly positive result this time.  Some follow-up Googling educated me that this is at least not uncommon with Omicron, where symptoms can start while the viral load is still low enough not to be picked up reliably by at-home tests.  Re-testing on the 3rd or 5th day after symptoms begin may be advisable.

(I'm not a health care professional, this is just from my own experience, etc., etc. - again, just putting it out there to help anyone else who may not have been aware of this.)

I'm fully vaccinated & double-boosted.  The symptoms have remained at bad-cold levels so far, thankfully - no shortness of breath or anything more serious.  I just get to play the isolation game, oh boy.

55 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Well, I've got it, and I can say I'm not enjoying it. It would be much worse if I didn't have the shots I know but I do feel like grumbling anyway

Wow, lots of careful folks seem to be getting it now. I hope you both get better soon. :(

(I have dental surgery scheduled for next Wednesday. It's either that or lose my two lower front teeth. But oh how I dread it...not so much for the considerable pain I'll be in afterward, but the chance I'll get COVID while I'm there with my mouth hanging open for a couple of hours.)

22 hours ago, rravenwood said:

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

Well, I've got it, and I can say I'm not enjoying it. It would be much worse if I didn't have the shots I know but I do feel like grumbling anyway

I know it won't make either of you feel better, but I just want to remind everyone that this was the actual objective of the vaccination program: to get to the point where COVID is for most people an aggravation, rather than a trauma and possible mortal threat. It's a huge step forward.

36 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I know it won't make either of you feel better, but I just want to remind everyone that this was the actual objective of the vaccination program: to get to the point where COVID is for most people an aggravation, rather than a trauma and possible mortal threat. It's a huge step forward.

You're right. I'm not in the best shape. At one time, getting this might have been a death sentence.