Coronavirus

Steve

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

That's two people who self-poisoned versus the reportedly 100% success rate of doctor-supervised patients on the Chloroquine + Azithromycin cocktail.

Sadly, more panic-buying in that story.

Humans are awful when they're in herd-panic mode.

11 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

That points out one of the big problems of this crisis: How do people without shelters of their own shelter in place? This could add elements of a humanitarian crisis to an already difficult situation. When not managed properly, a homeless shelter could be a place where the virus spreads like wildfire. Given that a lot of homeless people are medically vulnerable for innumerable reasons, and are often distrustful of local authority because of things like what's happening in Paris, the potential suffering is frightening to imagine.

My wife volunteers with the homeless each week, taking them a (usually) hot meal, and other supplies. This past week, it was just sack lunches. And bags of sack lunches for dropping of at the camps. 

She says she feels safer among the homeless (who generally don't congregate more than a dozen or so) than the general public at the grocery store.

21 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

That's two people who self-poisoned versus the reportedly 100% success rate of doctor-supervised patients on the Chloroquine + Azithromycin cocktail

Two vs. six, then.  Hopefully there will be a more statistically significant sample size soon. 

40 minutes ago, mattingly said:

My wife volunteers with the homeless each week, taking them a (usually) hot meal, and other supplies. This past week, it was just sack lunches. And bags of sack lunches for dropping of at the camps. 

She says she feels safer among the homeless (who generally don't congregate more than a dozen or so) than the general public at the grocery store.

As Fred Rogers said, we must look for the helpers in times of crisis and fear. I'm not going to use cliched phrases here, but all I can say is that this gives me hope for the world. If she still does it, I hope nobody will accuse her on non-essential travel. What she does is the very definition of essential, a lifeline for people who do not have one. Than God for people like her.

Look for the Helpers.

9 hours ago, Bazza said:

Oldie, thanks for in many cases being the resident NGD reporter on this story. #muchAppreciated 

22 minutes ago, Old Man said:

You’re welcome, it’s just how I cope. 

You too?

I just spent about twenty minutes answering sports and literature questions on Quora, including thoughts on a potential Tokyo Olympics in the middle of this crisis. Normally sports while the nation or world is in crisis is a welcome support, but this is no ordinary crisis. It is a crisis like no other I have experienced in my lifetime of more than half a century, and it will not resolve itself by the time they want to put on the games.

French hospital that ran original hydrochloroquine+azithromycin trial to employ it on all their coronavirus patients

Translated:

Covid-19 coronavirus outbreak

In the current context of the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus epidemic on French territory and worldwide.
In accordance with the Hippocratic Oath that we have taken, we obey our duty as a doctor. We provide our patients with the best care for the diagnosis and treatment of a disease. We respect the rules of the art and the most recently acquired data of medical science.

We have decided :
· For all febrile patients who come to consult us, to carry out tests for the diagnosis of infection with Covid 19;
· For all infected patients, many of whom are not very symptomatic, have lung lesions on the CT scan, as soon as the diagnosis is made, to offer:
- treatment with the combination hydroxychloroquine (200 mg x 3 per day for 10 days) Azithromycin (500 mg on the 1st day then 250 mg per day for 5 more days), as part of the precautions for use of this combination (with in particular an electrocardiogram on D0 and D2), and outside of Marketing Authorization. In cases of severe pneumonia, a broad-spectrum antibiotic is also used.

We believe that it is not ethical that this combination should not be systematically included in therapeutic trials concerning the treatment of Covid-19 infection in France.

Pr Philippe Brouqui, Pr Jean-Christophe Lagier, Pr Matthieu Million, Pr Philippe Parola, Pr Didier Raoult, Dr Marie Hocquart

Bolo, that's hard. And since my own mother is in a building where nobody can enter and she is in the vulnerable population (I am too, but she is in it far more) I fear she could pass there and I will never see her before she goes. We do talk every day and she does sing to me, I'm just wishing I could visit and watch a movie with her on Netflix (The Two Popes sounds like something she'd enjoy).

Fortunately, my mother is still healthy and communicative. So I'm not on the same razor's edge that you are.

This virus and related events are going to cause a lot more trouble, anxiety, and heartbreak before it's through.

49 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Sympathies to Bolo.

Consider this. What on earth would we have done in a pre-internet era ?

My brother made a similar comment.  He just closed on his first house Wednesday;  now he's got to figure out furnishings and stuff, within the context of the current shopping situation.  His was, what would we have done if this was 25 years ago...which is about the same, as it's the dawn of the net pretty much.  

The worst aspect of that would be, no genetic sequencing to speak of.  Vaccine?  Not 18 months, more like 10 years.  Drug treatment?  Not sure here, but would almost certainly be more blind.  Secondary aspect is, labs can't talk to each other in near-real-time easily...conference calls don't work as well as papers put onto the net.  Recognizing that a problem exists would take longer than it did...and thus, ANY chance to even slow down containment would probably be lost.  It feels like testing would be much less developed...so, again, containment would be nigh impossible.  

My general feeling is we'd be looking at maybe 20x the number of deaths in East Asia, and 10x the number in Europe.  And FAR more panic.  Some places wouldn't be on lockdown, they'd need full-scale martial law.