Coronavirus

Steve

Absent due to advert block on my PC, I have returned.

USA through 100 million cases and 100 million recoveries and over 1 million dead.

India has over half a million dead

Russia has close to 400 thousand dead.

Mexico has over 325 thousand dead

Britain and Peru have over 200,00 dead

France, Germany, Italy, Argentina, Turkey, Iran, Indonesia, Colombia, Poland, Ukraine, South Africa and Spain all have over 100,000 dead.

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Long Lasting Covid is terrible, Long Lasting Stupid is worse

53 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Wow. Banning vaccines that hundreds of millions of people have taken, and that represent a significant step forward in our fight against disease. Brilliant idea!

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

These are the same people who wanted to make dihydrogen monoxide illegal, aren't they?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 6-Year-Old Son Died. Then the Anti-vaxxers Found Out.

My 6-year-old boy died in January. We lost him after a household accident, one likely brought on by a rare cerebral-swelling condition. Paramedics got his heart beating, but it was too late to save his brain. I could hold his hand, look at the small birthmark on it, comb his hair, and call out for him, but if he could hear me or feel me, he gave no sign. He had been a child in perpetual motion, but now we couldn’t get him to wiggle a finger.

My grief is profound, ragged, desperate. I cannot imagine how anything could feel worse.

But vaccine opponents on the internet, who somehow assumed that a COVID shot was responsible for my son’s death, thought my family’s pain was funny. “Lol. Yay for the jab. Right? Right?” wrote one person on Twitter. “Your decision to vaccinate your son resulted in his death,” wrote another. “This is all on YOU.” “Murder in the first.”

I’m a North Carolina–based journalist who specializes in countering misinformation on social media. I know that Twitter, Facebook, and other networks amplify bad information; that their algorithms feed on anger and division; that anonymity and distance bring out the worst in some people online. And yet I had never anticipated that anyone would mock and terrorize a grieving parent. I’ve now received thousands of harassing posts. Some people emailed me at work.

For the record, my son saw some of the finest pediatric-ICU doctors in the world. He was in fact vaccinated against COVID-19. None of his doctors deemed that relevant to his medical condition. They likened his death to a lightning strike.

Strangers online saw in our story a conspiracy—a cover-up of childhood fatalities caused by COVID vaccines, a ploy to protect Big Pharma.

To them, what happened to my son was not a tragedy. It was karma for suckered parents like me.

Although some abusive posts showed up on my public Facebook page, the problem started on Twitter—whose new CEO, Elon Musk, gutted the platform’s content-moderation team after taking over.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Remco Evenepoel was leading the Giro d'Italia cycle race in Italy. He tested positive for Covid and is now out of the race. The virus will have significant effects on all sporting events but this is the first major example I can think of. Some racers have had to be withdrawn in the past few years yes, but not when they were in the lead.

Related story:
https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a43878141/covid-19-cases-giro-ditalia-riders-2023/

According to Cycling News, Evenepoel is the 7th rider who has tested positive and forced to withdraw.  IIRC, COVID had a nasty impact on last year's Tour...didn't take out a leader/favorite, but hurt some teams.

Yeah, the Bicycling story suggests some measures may need to be reinstated, and that was before these last few withdrawals.

I just woke up from Covid myself.  Been out of -- well, reality, I guess-- for about five days.  Woke up a ln hour ago, posted a comment, dozed off, work up and poated this, now back to bed.

This might be the final straw getme banned, but this bug has kicked my ass in a way that no physical pummelling ever could have.

4 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I just woke up from Covid myself.  Been out of -- well, reality, I guess-- for about five days.  Woke up a ln hour ago, posted a comment, dozed off, work up and poated this, now back to bed.

This might be the final straw getme banned, but this bug has kicked my ass in a way that no physical pummelling ever could have.

Ugh!  Get better soon Duke, we will be counting the words in your posts to determine your journey back to health.

I have, so far, remained Covid-free despite the best efforts of my wife and son....