Coronavirus

Steve

20 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

Nevada just banned the use of Chloroquine and/or Hydroxycholorquine for treating Covid-19.

Seems like that should be up to the doctors.

Especially in the severe cases where the potential side-effects of the treatment are ... not dying or - at worst - still dying?

It's to stop people from hoarding the drugs before the efficacy of the treatment is established. https://www.fox5vegas.com/coronavirus/nevada-gov-sisolak-signs-directive-to-avoid-drug-hoarding-amid/article_e9b56a90-6e1a-11ea-9fd1-53f850dda675.html

1 minute ago, RPMiller said:

Wow! That is a pretty serious position to take before the science is even finished on it. Talk about knee-jerk reactions. I wonder who's going to be accountable for that decision. Good thing it's an election year.

Governor Sisolak is up for re-election in 2022. I voted for him for governor, and I was aware of his record as a member of the Clark County Commission. Unless things change greatly, I would probably vote for him again.

27 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

Nevada just banned the use of Chloroquine and/or Hydroxycholorquine for treating Covid-19.

Seems like that should be up to the doctors.

Especially in the severe cases where the potential side-effects of the treatment are ... not dying or - at worst - still dying?

A ban can be reccinded, or over ridden. I suspect it was to avoid quack treatments, or the like from getting too wild...

7 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

It's to stop people from hoarding the drugs before the efficacy of the treatment is established. https://www.fox5vegas.com/coronavirus/nevada-gov-sisolak-signs-directive-to-avoid-drug-hoarding-amid/article_e9b56a90-6e1a-11ea-9fd1-53f850dda675.html

Okay, then I take back my shocked response. That is a reasonable reason. If it is for the good of the people and not as a knee-jerk reaction, and can be lifted to allow actual testing to take place, I'm fine with that. I just have plenty of experience with government bureaucracy and the healthcare system and it has left a bad taste in my mouth. But those situations weren't looking out for the citizens' well-being. This one sounds like it is.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:04 AM, Drhoz said:

Unfortunately, my wife is a school teacher, and it's impossible to keep the little stench-goblins away from each other, and our idiotic government refuses to close the schools claiming it would be too hard for any health-worker parents to find child care, and "education is important". 

Here's hoping one of the important things they're being educated about is how to take care of themselves while their parents are sick in bed with COVID-19, and their grandparents are in the hospital or dead.

Not sure if this should go here or in Quotes.

"So when are the health insurance people going to start yelling 'Act of God' over this virus?"

"Once the hospitals are way overloaded." was the reply.

Overheard when shopping.  I hope it is not how it goes down.

Edited by Tom Cowan
2nd thoughts after cooling down

My state, Idaho, just joined the "stay at home by order of the governor" club. My boss says to plan on coming in, and that he will be the one to say if that really applies to us. "Governor Little didn't know if the liquor stores would stay open. We process nuclear waste. we're a little more important than liquor stores."

Well...I got my back and neck adjusted Monday, the usual thing....but good timing.  New Mexico has banned non-essential medical treatment.  Anything that can be delayed for up to 3 months without undue risk counts...so figure that's the common stuff like routine chiropractic adjustments, dental cleanings, and checkups.  

16 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

My niece has lupus. I hope her doctor isn't this foolish.

It wasn't an individual doctor, it was Kaiser Permanente.  And this is why, for example, the Nevada decision to ban chloroquine for use with Covid isn't merely sensible, but necessary.  Ever since the stories first broke about the possible therapeutic value, the panic-buying for these drugs has been akin to that for toilet paper.  The lack of supply for lupus and other patients for which it is a necessary stabilizing drug, was voiced as a serious concern.

7 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

It wasn't an individual doctor, it was Kaiser Permanente.  And this is why, for example, the Nevada decision to ban chloroquine for use with Covid isn't merely sensible, but necessary.  Ever since the stories first broke about the possible therapeutic value, the panic-buying for these drugs has been akin to that for toilet paper.  The lack of supply for lupus and other patients for which it is a necessary stabilizing drug, was voiced as a serious concern.

And I hope what I'm smelling isn't the management of a private health care network anticipating a more lucrative short-term market for the drug. :(

21 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

It wasn't an individual doctor, it was Kaiser Permanente.

Yeah, I noticed after I read into the article. I work in a hospital, where "provider" is synonymous with "doctor" for the most part. Either way, I hope she doesn't fall prey to the stupidity of hording unproven medicine she needs.

17 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

And I hope what I'm smelling isn't the management of a private health care network anticipating a more lucrative short-term market for the drug. :(

Thought of that.  Could well be, but if it's tried?  That would be profiteering, and I suspect there will be many, many pairs of eyes watching out for that, especially with regard to drugs.  

FDA might need to step in to take Nevada's step...limit things to clinical trials, bar it from use as a Covid treatment until such time as it's shown to work.  What I've seen is that the root problem is it's being taken as a preventive measure, and that's what's killing the supply.  So stopping that should ease the situation.