Coronavirus

Steve

I suppose gallows humor is one way to cope. People have now died in Oregon and Clark County, across the river in Washington State, has cases.

I'm concerned because my mother and I are scheduled to go to a concert Friday and we really don't want to miss it in spite of the panic -- but it's in a public space (a church) and 200-300 people will be attending. She's 76, diabetic, and in a wheelchair.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I suppose gallows humor is one way to cope. People have now died in Oregon and Clark County, across the river in Washington State, has cases.

I'm concerned because my mother and I are scheduled to go to a concert Friday and we really don't want to miss it in spite of the panic -- but it's in a public space (a church) and 200-300 people will be attending. She's 76, diabetic, and in a wheelchair.

Gallows humor is a pretty typical reaction yes. And not without merit.

I've got family members who are in their mid to late 70s as well...and I do worry for them. I hope the concert goes well for you and your mother.

Apparently it's gotten pretty ugly in Italy:

All ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes.

Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest.

This was a pretty intense flu season (although not as bad as 2017-18) influenza "B" was heavily culpable. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year%3famp=true

Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year. 

Essentially, the entire nation of Italy has been quarantined by its own government.

In the USA, the eMLS esport championship tournament sponsored by Major League Soccer have been postponed but not canceled.  It was originally part of the cancelled SXSW music/cultural festival in Austin. A date and venue have not been set for a second attempt, which seems to be the norm pretty much everywhere. (This is mainly of interest to me because I attended the Series Two finals in Portland last month and had a blast. And I did not catch the flu or any flu-like disease.)

In Portland, Gamestorm, the biggest tabletop game event of the year in the city, is going ahead -- partly because a postponement would be financially crippling to the fan-run convention.