Coronavirus

Steve

Op-Ed in NYTimes this evening discusses Europe's reaction to the economic downturn...pay companies to keep workers on the payroll...versus the US response of cutting the job and paying unemployment.  The former does feel much more likely to lead to a faster turnaround, as the corporate knowledge loss won't be nearly as high, and there won't be as much low productivity due to needing to train replacements.  Yeah, sure, many will go back to their old jobs, but not all sectors will recover in the same timeline, so many will change jobs.

Have you guys seen your local retailers who are still open changing how they interact with their customers? Almost all of the ones I've gone into over the past week have their employees wearing gloves and masks, have put out hand sanitizer that they request people use when they enter, and/or ask people to pay with a debit/credit card or cellphone tap rather than exchange cash. A chain grocery store in my neighborhood has erected plexiglass shields at the checkout counters between the public and their clerks, and has a security person in mask and gloves making sure people in line stay at least six feet apart.

My daughter's employer (a big pet and pet supply chain) has moved to preferring curbside pickup of orders made by phone, which keeps customers in their cars.  By the nature of their work, they did lots of sanitizing and disinfecting already.

15 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Have you guys seen your local retailers who are still open changing how they interact with their customers? Almost all of the ones I've gone into over the past week have their employees wearing gloves and masks, have put out hand sanitizer that they request people use when they enter, and/or ask people to pay with a debit/credit card or cellphone tap rather than exchange cash. A chain grocery store in my neighborhood has erected plexiglass shields at the checkout counters between the public and their clerks, and has a security person in mask and gloves making sure people in line stay at least six feet apart.

Natural Grocers has erected the shields, I'm told;  haven't been in there since they sent out some email where that was one point.  They and the Albertson's are also asking people to do their own bagging...but this hasn't taken root quite yet in the Alby's.  Some of the checkers were wearing gloves, some weren't.  

I was also talking to one of the guys in the meat department...LONG time employee.  Yes, we maintained social distance.  :) I mentioned considering coming by first thing in the AM...but already had warnings that the lines were beyond insane.  He said, the worst he'd ever seen in his 40 years.  People haven't learned how to cope yet...and unfortunately, I fear they're slow learners.  Heck, it took me decades to actually start planning ahead, and more "oh man I'm out of...." just as I needed it, than I ever wanna mention.  

42 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Natural Grocers has erected the shields, I'm told;  haven't been in there since they sent out some email where that was one point.  They and the Albertson's are also asking people to do their own bagging...but this hasn't taken root quite yet in the Alby's.  Some of the checkers were wearing gloves, some weren't.  

I was also talking to one of the guys in the meat department...LONG time employee.  Yes, we maintained social distance.  :) I mentioned considering coming by first thing in the AM...but already had warnings that the lines were beyond insane.  He said, the worst he'd ever seen in his 40 years.  People haven't learned how to cope yet...and unfortunately, I fear they're slow learners.  Heck, it took me decades to actually start planning ahead, and more "oh man I'm out of...." just as I needed it, than I ever wanna mention.  

Well, they were going on constant, disinfect at the local grocery store.  Which helped my already raw throat/lungs from the work disinfectant, oh so very much.

My throat is feeling better from a day off today, but I am starting to get worried that even if I don't catch the thing, I will come out with breathing problems, anyway.  (hoping that the annual allergies have been an exacerbating factor)