Coronavirus

Steve

49 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Eighty-patient hydrochloroquine + azithromycin trial results

No control.  Think this is the same French hospital as before.

spacer.png

The lack of a control group is concerning, but how cruel would it be to give a dying person a placebo and tell them they'll die without it?

I'm not so much worried about getting people's hopes up if they find it doesn't work, as I am about the tendency of people to self-mediocate when they feel the science has failed them. The homeopathic industry is probably doing booming business right about now.

Today at a grocerystore I found that rarest of items, a roll of paper towels! They were store brand, and about five were left. I took one, giving it to an older person who was having trouble reaching one, and took one for myself. One was the limit the store imposed, and I was fine with that.

At the same store I also found "old-fashioned" style pancake syrup, flavored with brown sugar and molasses rather than imitation maple. Tempted, but I passed it up.

I should really stop venturing out like this, but at least I now have enough soda to last me through the weekend -- just...

well, yeah, the bubonic plague killed off like what 40-50 % (more?) of the population of the areas they swept through.

Where in America, the number of confirmed corona cases still only amount to maybe  1 in 3500 people or something, and only 2% or so will die.

Though, I guess on a worldwide basis, I have said we have been spoiled since the Spanish Flu.  At least I cant think of any.  Bird flu,  SARs and what not never really got going the way this has.  Asian flu and some others have come and gone, and left people sick, but they weren't prolific killers, I don't seem to remember.

So, in some ways probably some panic is because we really haven't actually seen the way a deadly pandemic operates in real time (any living from the Spanish Flu days being obviously too young to remember at this point)