Coronavirus

Steve

14 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Sports going away is the moment we realized "Dang, this just got real!". It may have been the impetus that led us to where we are today, with daily briefings, shelter-in-place orders, and taking it seriously.

And that's why the NBA shutdown was the first domino, IMO.  It became the reference point, too, for that Thursday's termination of all the conference tournaments, and as the first of those were announced, the other leagues and associations followed.  

And yes, it was, I think, the 4x4 smash upside our collective heads.  It could NOT be ignored.

We should clearly be adopting the high-tech Coronavirus combating methods of India (less than 1,000 cases) and Libya (only **3** cases!).

Far too many countries are posting tiny, tiny numbers which make me pretty certain they are simply not testing for the virus with any regularity at all.  Or, worse, they're lying about the numbers.

Additionally, our purchase of Xena the German Pinscher got cancelled today as Kaufman county got their shelter-in-place order.

Hopefully, that'll be the worst thing we experience with this mess as my wife and I are both in high-risk categories.

In a bit of morbid curiosity I occasionally turn on my webcam at work and watch the unlit empty building on one monitor as I code.  :(

Police break up 'illegal' house party that violated N.J.'s stay-at-home order

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy tweeted this:

Can’t believe I have to say this at all, let alone for the second time. But here we are. NO CORONA PARTIES. They’re illegal, dangerous, and stupid. We will crash your party. You will pay a big fine. And we will name & shame you until EVERYONE gets this message into their heads.

India is a bit of a weird situation.  Some places are fairly modern, some places are still living in medieval type situations.  I don't know if they'd have the ability to widespread test a billion people.  Could be a lot of people are getting the "flu" and there is no choice but to hope for the best that it is.  So, it might not be an intentional numbers lie.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Police break up 'illegal' house party that violated N.J.'s stay-at-home order

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy tweeted this:

47 guests, in a 550' apartment?   That's ridiculous to begin with...

If anyone at that party comes down with CV and dies from it, not that I'm hoping or wishing for it but...can we nominate them for a Darwin Award?

EDIT...late thought.  There's gonna be one punishment I can pretty much guarantee.  Apartment means renting.  Renting means landlord.  Can you spell "eviction"?  

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I know it is almost absolutely necessary under these conditions.  But these occasions gets the police state senses tingling (just saying)

Shouldn't.  They are in direct violation of orders prohibiting the action they're taking.  Those orders have the force of law.  Description of the order from nj.gov:

In effort to strengthen the existing social distancing measures in place, the order also prohibits all gatherings of individuals, such as parties, celebrations, or other social events, unless otherwise authorized by the Order. When in public, individuals must practice social distancing and stay at least six feet apart whenever possible, excluding immediate family members, caretakers, household members, or romantic partners.

So they're not simply breaking both aspects, but completely flouting them.  

If I'm the DA, I dunno what charges I'd lay;  not that familiar with the law.  BUT...each and every person there almost has to get tested, IMO......and I charge the *host* a set amount for this.  As a fine, as part of his punishment.  Or maybe 2/3 to him (for everyone), and 1/3 to every party attendee individually.  That latter might not be an option if they don't want to charge every attendee...but that might be a blanket deal for NOT charging them with a crime.

I suppose it's a silver lining that when a tornado collapsed my city's airport and part of the main shopping mall today, the shutdown of air travel and non-essential businesses thanks to the virus seems to have spared us from potentially hundreds of casualties that might have happened on a normal Saturday in March. There are only reports of six injuries so far, which is a miracle considering the amount of property damage.

https://www.kait8.com/2020/03/28/tornado-warnings-issued-throughout-region-craighead-poinsett-counties-pm/