Coronavirus

Steve

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

EDIT:  Mortality rates by country.  Same data source.

Cases Deaths Rate
World 746178 35347 4.74%
USA 145131 2608 1.80%
Italy 97689 10779 11.03%
Spain 85195 7340 8.62%
China 81470 3304 4.06%
Germany 63929 560 0.88%
Iran 41495 2757 6.64%
France 40174 2606 6.49%
UK 22141 1408 6.36%
Switzerland 15526 333 2.14%
Belgium 11899 513 4.31%
Netherlands 11750 864 7.35%
S. Korea 9661 158 1.64%
Austria 9520 108 1.13%
Turkey 9217 131 1.42%
Canada 6671 67 1.00%
Portugal 6408 140 2.18%

I was looking at that this morning and I thought:  Germany must be doing some bleeding-edge treatment to have such a low rate.  Turns out they were testing more aggressively than most other countries.

If their medical treatments have any advantage at all its that they're identifying sick people earlier.

It just feels insane that Italy has a mortality rate more than 10x higher than that of Germany.

From a planning perspective, it also says that if we want a more reliable estimate of the mortality rate of the virus......we have to take the Chinese data out.  It is completely unreliable.

You'll want to take the U.S. data out too, then.  It's no more reliable.  Many states (including mine) are not even testing, and there is some evidence that red states are suppressing their true numbers to appease their master.

The mortality rates are premature.  

I don't buy that states are suppressing true numbers for political reasons;  that itself just feels like the flip side of the "oh there's nothing wrong" argument.  That they're saying "of course it's a mess and if they're not reporting big numbers they're obviously lying."  

The Italian death rate...pretty new article talks about it here:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/europe/italy-coronavirus-cases-surpass-china-intl/index.html

Larger numbers of older people.  Probably worse, testing hasn't been broad enough...and MANY more have it than have been tested.

8 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Can any of you folks with more desk time that I have during the day point the way to a similar thread on any forum or website that wants to keep up spirits, share the news, but leave the farcking politics the track out of it?

Duke, this is a totally political thing and, as it gets more serious, will become more political.

I think you are too late to find anything politics-free.

Doc

We pause for a very special moderator advisory

Okay , while I understand it is hard to avoid this getting political at times, the Duke has a point ..and I think some folks are forgetting what Simon said on page one of the Political discussion thread which I will quote below...

OK...it's unlikely that we'll be able to get away without any political discussion taking place in the forums (despite the fact that the forums are for an RPG and there are plenty of other arenas for political discourse) -- so we're going to make a dedicated spot for them to take place.  With rules that will be followed.

Before I get into the rules, a little bit about self-policing.  You guys are a good group.  I'm assuming that, political differences aside, you'd like to keep each other around.  So you're going to be the first level of checks that will take place.  This is the ONLY US political discussion thread that is going to be around.  If you see someone start another thread for politics, or if you see another thread head that direction, it's in your best interest to shut it down quickly.  Once I get wind of it, the thread originator (or poster who diverted the thread) will be moderated or banned from the forums (depending on the nature of the post). No arguments, and no discussions.

So, perhaps try to down play the political side of things at least in this thread, and then go write the political view heavy posts in the other one.

I don't have links handy with the actual info, but I saw promising results the other day written up about the effectiveness of that experimental combination of malaria and lupus treatment drugs. Particularly that it was cutting hospitalization times to less than half of the standard in other patients, which has good ramifications for the effective capacity of hospitals to treat more patients as well as for the recovery of the individuals being treated.

Here's hoping the combo doesn't turn out to be highly carcinogenic or have some other medium to long term effect that would dampen its usefulness as a treatment.

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I don't have links handy with the actual info, but I saw promising results the other day written up about the effectiveness of that experimental combination of malaria and lupus treatment drugs. Particularly that it was cutting hospitalization times to less than half of the standard in other patients, which has good ramifications for the effective capacity of hospitals to treat more patients as well as for the recovery of the individuals being treated.

Here's hoping the combo doesn't turn out to be highly carcinogenic or have some other medium to long term effect that would dampen its usefulness as a treatment.

I couldn't find a website with a strong Newsguard rating yesterday, but I was able to verify it on Medscape today (you have to register - which is annoying) and they clock in at 92.5/100.  French24 is also highly rated by Newsguard.

Anyway - Looks like France did indeed sanction the use of hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin.

The article (link below) does show some of the controversy on the study of 80 patients by Didier Raoult, MD.  Mostly in the area of not having tight controls on the study.

On page 3 of the article they mention that they got cleared to have the medication available 48 hours ago.

The author goes on to rag on the study a bit, but states they also believe that hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin is going to be effective.

Other studies are discussed.  It is a site for medical professionals so be ready for a jargon rich environment.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927758#vp_1

PS:  It was Dr. Didier Raoult's study which showed 78 out of 80 patients recovered on the treatment and were recovering in 5 days instead of the average 14.

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Those results from from the hospital in Marseilles.  Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin....AKA HCQ-AZ, cuz that first in particular is hard to type. :)  The criticism is that these have had no control groups, so it's not clear whether the drugs actually helped that much.  I do accept that there's positive enough news here to warrant larger-scale and more formal testing, tho, to consider it.

And just seen...the FDA has gone ahead and allowed it to be stockpiled (NPR story), and according to a WaPo story, apparently used on a trial basis.  

BE WARNED, tho, that these drugs carry some very, very nasty risks...including inducing a fatal heart attack.  SO screening is necessary.