Coronavirus

Steve

5 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The USA is, according to this data, actually losing hospital capacity.

Isn't it?  We've lost two hospitals here over the last 5-6 years and the Kaiser one is going to be next.  Hospitals aren't profitable under the current system, squeezed between patients with no savings and insurance providers that refuse to pay out.

46 minutes ago, pinecone said:

I live in a "indipendant" living facility. We are locked down, people are actively fearful, From what I hear, it is a "bad" flu in the young, but deadly to over 50's and very young children. I've cancelled the Wednesday D&D game till summer comes (or a vacine)

My best wishes in this dark time.

56 minutes ago, pinecone said:

I live in a "indipendant" living facility. We are locked down, people are actively fearful, From what I hear, it is a "bad" flu in the young, but deadly to over 50's and very young children. I've cancelled the Wednesday D&D game till summer comes (or a vacine)

FWIW the virus has apparently killed no one under the age of 10.   I'm glad your facility had the foresight to lock down, though.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Isn't it?  We've lost two hospitals here over the last 5-6 years and the Kaiser one is going to be next.  Hospitals aren't profitable under the current system, squeezed between patients with no savings and insurance providers that refuse to pay out.

Which is perplexing to me, as from my experience they fleece patients for all they can get.  Although, an increase in  insurance providers refusing to pay out, may be somewhat a backlash on that.  (if there has been a recent increase over that 5 years or so)

The San Francisco Archdiocese has closed 90 parochial schools in the Bay Area, Several colleges and businesses have done the same. The Opera House has cancelled all events until later this month. The executives in my sister's business have ordered everyone to work from home for the next two weeks. The senior center where my mom goes is also closed.

7 hours ago, tkdguy said:

The San Francisco Archdiocese has closed 90 parochial schools in the Bay Area, Several colleges and businesses have done the same. The Opera House has cancelled all events until later this month. The executives in my sister's business have ordered everyone to work from home for the next two weeks. The senior center where my mom goes is also closed.

But the Golden State Warriors, who recently built a new arena in San Francisco proper (they used to play in Oakland), are going forward with games -- under intense criticism from local authorities. Every Warriors home game brings in .$3.2 to $3.8 million, so the club has a major incentive to keep playing.

Hockey's San Jose Sharks have been considering playing home games without fans.

It's ironic that the virus threatens events that have been, in the past, enormously therapeutic to cities and even nations during a crisis.

12 hours ago, pinecone said:

From what I've read the children barely show symptoms from COVID-19.  They become infectious, but they often don't get seriously sick themselves.

This disease seems designed to implement the rules of Logan's Run.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:19 PM, RPMiller said:

Personally, I'm loving all the fear. My flights have been far less crowded. I'm expecting to get first class upgrades for my flights next week, but we'll see.

Hell, once the plane takes off just pretend to sneeze on the guy sitting next to you and you’ll get the whole row to yourself.

But don’t do it before takeoff or they’ll throw you off the plane.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints just announced that its April General Conference--an event that brings tens of thousands of people to Salt Lake City twice each year--will be conducted entirely virtually. Church leaders, speakers, the choirs, and the support personnel necessary to produce the broadcast will be present at the Conference Center (a 21,000-seat facility) downtown. But the public will not be admitted to the Conference Center, nor to any local chapels or other Church buildings. The direction from Church leaders is to follow the proceedings at home, on television or online.

To my knowledge, nothing like this has ever been done in the 190-year history of the Church.

With almost 1000 new cases just today, Italy surges into second place, crossing the 10,000 case threshold!  But France, Spain, and Germany look to be gaining steam themselves, and indeed many countries in Europe are starting to pick up the pace; even Norway and Switzerland are now putting up 100 cases a day.  Meanwhile America continues to display an unbelievably incompetent response that could put them among the leaders in a couple of weeks, and no one knows what the hell is going on in Iran.  It's still anyone's race!

10 minutes ago, Old Man said:

With almost 1000 new cases just today, Italy surges into second place, crossing the 10,000 case threshold!  But France, Spain, and Germany look to be gaining steam themselves, and indeed many countries in Europe are starting to pick up the pace; even Norway and Switzerland are now putting up 100 cases a day.  Meanwhile America continues to display an unbelievably incompetent response that could put them among the leaders in a couple of weeks, and no one knows what the hell is going on in Iran.  It's still anyone's race!

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Oh wait.. we don't want to win this one.

My daughter's school board just sent out an email advising travelling families self-quarantine if they have gone to any of the big number countries.

Meanwhile we've had a confirmed case in the county that does not appear to be travel related.  Which means that person has been sharing it with everyone for a week or two.

Which means it's already here.

Either we self-quarantine everyone or we all pull out our metaphysical dice and make a CON roll.

More useless advice in the company cafeteria:  Food Prep:  Wash your hands before, ***during*** and after food preparation.

How does one wash their hands DURING preparing the food??  Do I prepare all food with Dawn and running water??

6 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

My daughter's school board just sent out an email advising travelling families self-quarantine if they have gone to any of the big number countries.

Meanwhile we've had a confirmed case in the county that does not appear to be travel related.  Which means that person has been sharing it with everyone for a week or two.

Which means it's already here.

Either we self-quarantine everyone or we all pull out our metaphysical dice and make a CON roll.

More useless advice in the company cafeteria:  Food Prep:  Wash your hands before, ***during*** and after food preparation.

How does one wash their hands DURING preparing the food??  Do I prepare all food with Dawn and running water??

Most "top chefs" will wash their hand constantly while preping, to avoid cross contamination. My girlfriend, like many before her, was weirded out by how much cleaning I do while cooking. I even clean utinsels while waiting for a boil.

3 hours ago, Tom Cowan said:

Well,

The World Health Organization has formally declared the COVID-19 outbreak a "pandemic."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/italy-passes-10-000-infections-082158239.html

IIRC the WHO's pandemic declaration ordinarily means containment has utterly failed and the focus needs to be on preparing health care systems to deal with the influx of dying victims.  They're making it clear that there is still value in continuing or increasing containment measures, though.