Jump to content

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Pariah said:

It's worth noting that  the United States has seven times as many people as Spain or Italy, give or take.

 

Curses!  Beat me to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

As of this moment at worldometers....and it's evening in Europe, reporting tends to slow more...

Italy + Spain:  212,000+ total cases

USA:  211,000.

 

We'll almost certainly blow past them before the reporting day is over...

 

And we're supposed to believe that China stamped this thing out weeks ago.

 

Meanwhile there are undercover reports of thousands upon thousands of people waiting in lines at cremation sites to get their relatives remains.

 

I've been watching some NTD News and the coverage felt pretty biased.  So I headed over to MediaBiasFactCheck and it turns out they're pretty solid overall, but are very anti-current-Chinese-regime as they were founded by Falun Gong members.

That being said - They have a lot of video coverage and interviews with people in China and I'm pretty  convinced the current Chinese numbers are not even 10% of the real numbers.

 

Also, I hope all of the help being sent to New York pays off.   They are going to be at serious risk of hospital overload which will send the mortality rate through the roof.

 

It seems like the mortality rate is 1.5 - 2.0% if advanced care is available and MUCH higher when its not.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

And we're supposed to believe that China stamped this thing out weeks ago.

 

In the immortal words of REO Speedwagon, "I don't believe it, not for a minute."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wimbledon cancelled.  Postponement, even if the fall allows tournaments to be played, would be a real bear.  Also, as pointed out, at B/R, you get into, say, late August, and sunset is an hour to hour and a half earlier.  That would make scheduling that much more difficult.  Rainfall also goes up a bit;  by itself, that might not be a big deal, it's from 1.6 to 1.8".  But coupled with shorter hours of light for scheduling, any early delay would be more impactful.

 

Need to go to market...been lazy so far.  Glad I was now.

UPS just dropped off the Porch Pirate Mother Lode.

A box, all white with big black printing on the top and all the sides:  Amazon Ultra Soft Toilet Paper.

OK, I can leave now.  Back soon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Pariah said:

It's worth noting that  the United States has seven times as many people as Spain or Italy, give or take.

 

I beat you to it, somewhere on the site (though I said US was Italy and Spain times 3)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh.

Trip cancelled.  Just sneezed.  Almost certainly NOT Covid;  it very much feels like just being very tired/not sleeping all that well.  Happens reasonably regularly.  But this is not the time to test that...and I don't feel like getting booted out the door if another one happens IN the store.  Again, probably not, but it's possible.  And it'd be embarassing as heck for me, and TERRIFY anyone around me at the time.

 

So...nope.  Soup assembled and on the stove.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting setup with a new 3D printer (courtesy of my brother’s company 3DUniverse) - going to start making N95 masks, faceshields, and potentially multiplexing connectors for the two ventilators at our local (rural) hospital. Should be an interesting way to spend the shutdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious about the routines your local supermarkets have adopted. Mine have instituted maximum-occupancy rules: people are lining up outside the entrance (six feet apart) to be let in to shop one at a time, only as someone else leaves. One market has an attendant at the door with hand-sanitizer spray for each person entering. They're also having customers bag their own items. Another market is asking people not to bring their own reusable cloth bags -- just take the store's bags. As the cashier who told me that remarked, "one more to send to the Philippines."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Getting setup with a new 3D printer (courtesy of my brother’s company 3DUniverse) - going to start making N95 masks, faceshields, and potentially multiplexing connectors for the two ventilators at our local (rural) hospital. Should be an interesting way to spend the shutdown.

Make sure to check with the hospital before you start. Depending on the filament used, they may refuse the masks because they are carcinogenic, but it depends on how desperate they are. I've inquired with my local hospital, and they said they would take face shields, but not printed masks. They'll take handsewn masks though. I've heard stories of other hospitals taking them though, so who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Curious about the routines your local supermarkets have adopted. Mine have instituted maximum-occupancy rules: people are lining up outside the entrance (six feet apart) to be let in to shop one at a time, only as someone else leaves. One market has an attendant at the door with hand-sanitizer spray for each person entering. They're also having customers bag their own items. Another market is asking people not to bring their own reusable cloth bags -- just take the store's bags. As the cashier who told me that remarked, "one more to send to the Philippines."

 

I haven't seen flow management yet, but I'm also avoiding early morning.  That's been the big crowds;  mid-afternoon when I generally manage to get out, is reasonably quiet.

Albertson's says no reusable bags on the conveyor belt...which is conservative but fine.  They allow customers to bag, using their own bags, at the far side....there's also a pull-out for bags.  
Nat Grocers asked customers to do their own bagging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Curious about the routines your local supermarkets have adopted. Mine have instituted maximum-occupancy rules: people are lining up outside the entrance (six feet apart) to be let in to shop one at a time, only as someone else leaves. One market has an attendant at the door with hand-sanitizer spray for each person entering. They're also having customers bag their own items. Another market is asking people not to bring their own reusable cloth bags -- just take the store's bags. As the cashier who told me that remarked, "one more to send to the Philippines."

 

It varies wildly.  Target and Costco open an hour early for the olds, which has the effect of forcing them to stand in long lines outside the store for an hour.  Otherwise the markets mainly control crowds through the simple expedient of having bare shelves.  Stores have been limiting quantities of staples like toilet paper, milk, eggs, Spam, and portuguese sausage, but they still run out.  Most have taped off lines on the floor to space customers out in the checkout lines.

 

I finally wore a mask and gloves to the market last night.  I felt really self conscious about it, until I got inside and saw that about half the other customers were doing the same.  It still made the whole trip feel like a moon mission, and not in a good way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our mayor died of Covid today.

 

Meanwhile, and idiot woman was run out of a grocery store--- coughing, hacking, and proclaiming "Y'all just needs ta stay back a little bit; you'll be fine, just stay back 'cause I got the virus.  i just needs to get a few things and I'll can go home..."

 

 

WTF?!

 

_This_ is why our efforts will not be enough:

 

 

Morons.   

 

 

Morons will undermine _anything_.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Our mayor died of Covid today.

 

Meanwhile, and idiot woman was run out of a grocery store--- coughing, hacking, and proclaiming "Y'all just needs ta stay back a little bit; you'll be fine, just stay back 'cause I got the virus.  i just needs to get a few things and I'll can go home..."

 

 

WTF?!

 

_This_ is why our efforts will not be enough:

 

 

Morons.   

 

 

Morons will undermine _anything_.

 

 

 

 

What's that old saying? Something about if you make a fool proof plan, someone will build a better fool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Simon said:

They’re good with them.  And TPU is not carcinogenic.

But what is your nozzle made from, what about your bed? It's easy to dismiss the particular filament, but you still have to consider all the chemical changes throughout the printing process, not to mention the sterilization of the process as well. Some hospitals won't accept any DIY components for the simple lack of sterilization used in the manufacturing process. But as I said, desperation can sometimes remove those barriers from consideration. I'm mentioning this not just for you, but for others that might read this and want to help their local hospitals, which I 100% recommend. Providers are literally giving their lives to save covid patients, so everyone's help is appreciated, but also consider the possible burden everyone may put on them if you don't go through proper channels and procedures.

That said, Dan, I hope you can really help relieve some of the burden, they need it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hermit said:

 

Something about if you make a fool proof plan, someone will build a better fool

 

Hermit, don't you know anything about watches and water? Some of them are...well...let's just say that some plans we execute are merely fool resistant instead of foolproof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

 

Hermit, don't you know anything about watches and water? Some of them are...well...let's just say that some plans we execute are merely fool resistant instead of foolproof.

 

Nope.  Lesson from Spider Robinson, Callahan's Con.  Not his best, but...

 

It's not enough sometimes to make a foolproof plan...when you have to deal with a total idiot.

 

IF the woman is actually found competent to stand trial, which is debatable to say the least, it might be interesting to see what charges get filed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Today my mother missed her usual daily call and has not resoponded to my phone calls.

 

I'm really, really worried.

 

Is there anyone (who you are on good terms with) in proximity to your mother that can somehow check in on her?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

 

Is there anyone (who you are on good terms with) in proximity to your mother that can somehow check in on her?

Nobody is allowed in her building except residents -- everyone is a senior citizen and the entire complex is effectively under quarantine.

 

Believe me, if I knew anyone in her building I could call I'd call them. The building management may be able to check on her in the morning.

 

Hopefully it's just a problem with her phone, but it's hard not to fear the worst at a time like this. Too many people are leaving this life alone these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...