Coronavirus

Steve

14 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

Then she asks if she can come over and visit my immuno-compromised wife and I.

????!!!

!@#$ no you can't come over and visit after asking that.  Shelter-in-place can only slow this disease down.  The stupid cannot be contained.

Human instinct is difficult to tame.

43 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

As I said in another thread ->

On 3/25/2020 at 8:16 AM, Ragitsu said:

We are seeing the end result of our nation's deep-seated fearmongering against government. This fear has been pushed on the populace - to varying degrees of effectiveness, depending on one's region - since Day 1. Witness a diminutive and impotent governing body that is struggling to contain an illness while economic highwaymen armed only with the implicit threat of death accost the average citizen for another silver more. There has been terror fomented over the idea that the G-Man is going to put us all in camps; meanwhile, the schizophrenic instigators of this terror clamor for a larger and larger armed force (despite the fact that we handily outspend the next few most powerful nations combined when it comes to armaments and volume of troops).

Civil liberties are bent and broken and not a single shot has to be fired. Prosaic threats to democracy can be handled by prosaic actions, but they will never be addressed so long as grown men and women focus on their fantasy of playing modern age Minutemen against black helicopters. There's a sickness in my nation: chalk it up to poor education, pollution (literal lead in the water, aerosol contaminants), inbreeding, abnormally large amygdalas, a heaping of conspiracy theories primarily tainted with fire-and-brimstone dogma and the worship of the almighty dollar.

Fear can make even the best of us make stupid decisions.*

For those already predisposed to paranoia, a situation like this is like gasoline to a flame.

--

*When I first said this, my phone replaced the first word with "Beer". Which I suppose is also true, but perhaps not as immediately relevant to the current conversation.

7 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

So this is #2.  There will be more.  I limited my thinking to bombings;  that was unwise, perhaps, but not that many people can try to do something like this.

With the impending financial impact and pain caused by loss of loved ones this won't be the last person who succumbs to murderous despair.  :(

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Fear can make even the best of us make stupid decisions.*

Indeed.

“Neither a man nor a crowd nor a nation can be trusted to act humanely or to think sanely under the influence of a great fear.”

---Bertrand Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel laureate (1872 - 1970)

4 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

With the impending financial impact and pain caused by loss of loved ones this won't be the last person who succumbs to murderous despair.  :(

Agreed. This is definitely affecting a lot of people at very deep psychological levels. Just today I was working with some healthcare providers and they were talking about what they are seeing across their patient population. Some are very angry, others are turning in on themselves. The providers of course have to take all this in stride, but I could tell, they are having a tough time as well. It is definitely going to lead to some PTSD for a lot of people, especially the care providers who are experiencing all the death right on the front line. I said it before, I'll say it again. They need all the support and help we can give them. Thankfully, my job is to do just that, but it is such a small drop in the bucket compared to everything else they are dealing with.

18 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

The only point of disagreement I have is, neither incident was despair-related.  The first incident was the Missouri bombing attempt:

The suspect, identified by authorities as Timothy R Wilson, had been under surveillance for months, which revealed him to be a "potentially violent extremist" who had expressed racial and religious hatred, the FBI said in a statement.

And this one is just a paranoid whackjob, who thought it was part of a government takeover.

There will, I fear, be many cases that do fit your pattern.  And couple that with a big spike in gun sales......

Some positive looking data from the last two days:

Yesterday's numbers for New York compared to today's (not yet complete) numbers for New York.

image.png.78942ec8abc187c46f3ae8bd4c3e0e55.png

image.png.a855fc929c4f9e30ac3b4982696106f9.png

New cases are up 7.1%, but new deaths is only about 30% of what it was yesterday despite having more active cases.

Not a long enough time span to be solid, but I'm hoping this means the new drug trials are having an impact.

57 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Not sure which is worse today: America adding 25,000 new cases, or France adding 1355 deaths.

Ouch.

Death rate per million worldwide may break 7 before the day is done.  It was...what, 4, last Thursday or Friday.  A statistical site had growth rates...the deaths around the world are doubling every 7 days right now.  Some places, of course, much worse than others.

Guess who's among the worst?

Also just found this.  Not claiming it's authoritative, or anything close, but their arguments are nowhere close to one-size-fits-all.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/1/21203198/coronavirus-deaths-us-italy-china-south-korea

Well.

NY Times is reporting WH is considering a face mask announcement.  Probably won't be required, so I'd guess...encouraged?  I dunno.  Experts are still somewhat divided.  It's not about keeping yourself safe...it's about not spreading it if you have it *and don't know it.*

My take today was...as long as I'm not interfering with the supplies needed for those with real need...it's probably a good idea.  And, I think it's likely enough to become policy.  So I did some checking online.  Amazon first.  Plenty of offers...almost all from China.  The kicker?  Estimated delivery for MOST of them was typically May 12th to late June.  If you've ever ordered direct from China, that kind of window isn't surprising....usually it's 4 weeks, but obviously now, all deliveries are being delayed.  (Amazon itself has been laggy;  given the computer power they have behind the scenes, that's frightening in its own right.)  

So I tried walmart.com.  They had some.  Item description said April 13th....as good as one can do, I suspect.  Click on thru.  Estimated delivery at the end...the 17th.  Ugh, but...right now, that's still understandable.  AND it's a DARN sight better than mid-May.

Also:  I did longer-term shopping.  Been doing salads and veggies for 3 days;  I did 5.  A few more vac-packed meats....turkey breast at one, and got some vac-packed sirloin steaks next door at Target.  These are great because they'll *keep* for 3 weeks.  I tend to get a day or two of "use now" proteins and rotate through "use soon" or these longer-term packs.  So the next trip out won't be till...next Tuesday, most likely.  

There have been a couple of unexpected benefits to the quarantine for me: We're sitting down and eating together as a family more often, and we're eating more fruits and vegetables and less take-out. We've been cooking our own meals.