I note that back in the Bad Old Days before there were vaccines for the "childhood diseases" -- measles in particular -- among the things parents did was keep their social contacts open and pay attention to what kids had what disease at any given moment, and how those kids were doing.  If they heard of some kids who seemed to be having an easier-than-usual case, then they would deliberately arrange for their own not-yet-immune kids to visit those sick ones while they were sick, in hopes that the less-bad case was a property of that particular infectious strain and not anything else.  So what you suggest is ... recovering old strategies for handling such a disease.

2 hours ago, pinecone said:

Most "top chefs" will wash their hand constantly while preping, to avoid cross contamination. My girlfriend, like many before her, was weirded out by how much cleaning I do while cooking. I even clean utinsels while waiting for a boil.

Fair enough, but we don't have chefs or even a cafeteria staff.  You have me imagining chefs walking around with a fishbowl full of pinesol strapped to their bellies which they dunk their hands in between sloshing pans and dicing food.  :)

Food prep for us is Microwave your home lunch before eating it.

Public events at my "park" are now. "Take out".

University of Tennessee is Online classes after spring break, until April 3rd.

As I suspected E3 has been cancelled officially.

The Lung perforations and scarring are worrisome.

2 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

At this point I wish I had the option of intentionally infecting and isolating myself until completely recovered—once you've bounced back from it you're not a hospitable carrier, right?

What I've heard is that having had COVID-19 provides no immunity to it, and may even make it more likely that the victim will be re-infected.

25 minutes ago, Zeropoint said:

What I've heard is that having had COVID-19 provides no immunity to it, and may even make it more likely that the victim will be re-infected.

I've heard the same, but cannot confirm.  Also rumored that if it doesn't kill you the first time, it will kill you the second time.

China appears to have turned the corner...https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

With over 64% of total cases (as of this post), and over 68% if deaths, they have over 75% of their cases recovered (almost 92% of recoveries to date) and less than 30% of active cases.  Hopefully, we will see other countries enter a similar curve.

Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz has tested positive.  Obviously this puts all the Jazz day-to-day staff at risk, as well as every opponent over the last few weeks.

This clearly means numerous teams will have to be tested, and it would be highly irresponsible to have them play.  Thus, the move to suspend the season after tonight's games (other than the Jazz game which was obviously postponed) is easy.  EDIT:  and yes, that is what they did.  The NBA has suspended the season until further notice.

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints just announced that its April General Conference--an event that brings tens of thousands of people to Salt Lake City twice each year--will be conducted entirely virtually. Church leaders, speakers, the choirs, and the support personnel necessary to produce the broadcast will be present at the Conference Center (a 21,000-seat facility) downtown. But the public will not be admitted to the Conference Center, nor to any local chapels or other Church buildings. The direction from Church leaders is to follow the proceedings at home, on television or online.

To my knowledge, nothing like this has ever been done in the 190-year history of the Church.

Nothing like this has been possible before now,. I do not know enough history to know how Conference was handled during the 1918-19 Spanish Flu pandemic, but I imagine Joseph F. Smith and Heber Grant (the Presidents of the Church at the time) were faced with some very hard choices.

I'm sure this was not an easy decision for the First Presidency to make. But I am willing to trust the judgment of the man who pioneered the surgical procedures that saved my mother's life just as I was joining the Church. I am referring, of course, to President Russell M. Nelson, who was a pioneering researcher and cardiac surgeon. The techniques he pioneered save millions of lives every year around the world.

20 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz has tested positive.  Obviously this puts all the Jazz day-to-day staff at risk, as well as every opponent over the last few weeks.

This clearly means numerous teams will have to be tested, and it would be highly irresponsible to have them play.  Thus, the move to suspend the season after tonight's games (other than the Jazz game which was obviously postponed) is easy.  EDIT:  and yes, that is what they did.  The NBA has suspended the season until further notice.

Stuff just got real, folks. America lives for sports. If the hockey and soccer leagues do the same thing it will be a pretty grim situation for sports fans.

1 hour ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Flights from Europe to the US will be suspended Friday at midnight, for 30 days  

Too little, too late. The virus is community spreading in multiple locations around the US and all that’s being done is cancelling sports events and concerts. We are critically behind on testing and unlikely to catch up. There is a real possibility that the current situation in Italy, where hospitals are overwhelmed and patients are dying as a result, will play out in the US within two weeks. 

Very real.

My take, tho, is the NBA did it because a player showed positive.  That's the first domino...one player testing positive means test much of the entire organization...and immediate families as needed.  AND, the big problem...test the recent teams Gobert played against.  

The other leagues may follow suit.  I'm watching the ACC tournament, and the halftime talk just know was whether the NCAA would flat-out cancel the mens' and womens' tournaments...after already saying attendance was gonna be *massively* limited.  Think I saw 125 tickers per school.   The HUGE FEAR is when you have one unknown case, it can so quickly spread.

I think the NBA had no choice;  some idiot analyst over at CBS SportsNet was showing he was a git, big time, failing to see the scope of the problem.  They *can't* continue until such time as they can determine the scope of the problem in their own house. 

The problem with trying to continue is if there's one case, then it can spread...and spread.  But until the population you're considering...teams and staff...shows the first case, then attempting to keep things as normal as possible is viable.  That said, every case like this, where a single case balloons to needing to make dozens or hundreds of tests, gives the counter argument to simply say no, we're not going to carry on.  

Here's an exercise for you.  Would you sit behind the bench of any team from the NYC area, the Bay Area, or Seattle?  If you have a kid of the right age, would you allow him/her to be a ball boy for a baseball or basketball game involving teams from that area?

If you're answering No...which is sensible, IMO...then you can't argue against suspending the games in the first place.

7 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

My daughter's school board just sent out an email advising travelling families self-quarantine if they have gone to any of the big number countries.

Meanwhile we've had a confirmed case in the county that does not appear to be travel related.  Which means that person has been sharing it with everyone for a week or two.

Which means it's already here.

Either we self-quarantine everyone or we all pull out our metaphysical dice and make a CON roll.

More useless advice in the company cafeteria:  Food Prep:  Wash your hands before, ***during*** and after food preparation.

How does one wash their hands DURING preparing the food??  Do I prepare all food with Dawn and running water??

I think they’re referring to washing up between stages of food prep.

Wash hands

Cut up chicken

Wash Hands

Make salad

I’ve worked in kitchens and it’s scary how many people act like washing up once at the beginning of the shift and once at the end is good enough.

9 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Dow futures plunged over 1000 points after Trump’s attempt to reassure America. 

I guess he thinks it will help maintain calm if he still flies to Las Vegas to speak to the Republican Jewish Coalition, with an estimated attendance of 1,500.

I don't suppose the irony of Donald Trump trying to calm the public's fears is lost on anyone.

The NBA suspending the season happened after the markets closed.

I think the implications, and thinking of this as a first domino, will mean tomorrow is gonna be a bloodbath at the markets.  Not 1000 points...a larger loss.  Michael's "this just got real"...yeah, for many people, this will be the slap in the face they can't ignore.

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Nothing like this has been possible before now,. I do not know enough history to know how Conference was handled during the 1918-19 Spanish Flu pandemic, but I imagine Joseph F. Smith and Heber Grant (the Presidents of the Church at the time) were faced with some very hard choices.

I'm sure this was not an easy decision for the First Presidency to make. But I am willing to trust the judgment of the man who pioneered the surgical procedures that saved my mother's life just as I was joining the Church. I am referring, of course, to President Russell M. Nelson, who was a pioneering researcher and cardiac surgeon. The techniques he pioneered save millions of lives every year around the world.

I do think the MLB shortened the season because of Spanish Flu, back then.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I guess he thinks it will help maintain calm if he still flies to Las Vegas to speak to the Republican Jewish Coalition, with an estimated attendance of 1,500.

I don't suppose the irony of Donald Trump trying to calm the public's fears is lost on anyone.

Trump has canceled the trip, and the RJC has canceled the meeting. https://news3lv.com/news/local/trump-cancels-trip-to-las-vegas-following-coronavirus-address

Yeah, that follows Trump's usual decision making process: (1) Make an impulsive public announcement without thinking through the consequences; (2) Hear someone telling him the consequences he should have considered first; (3) Announce that he's changed his mind.