Coronavirus

Steve

9 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

*shivers*

I am a person of faith myself, but I don't get this. Not at all. Yes, I love the people I go to church with. No, I don't love them so much that I'm going to risk catching a virulent disease in order to see them once a week. I don't see any kind of logic, faith-based or otherwise, that says that this is okay.

The worldwide leader of my church is a former heart surgeon. He and other church leaders, globally and locally, have gone to great lengths to make sure that church members can worship from home. Local leaders have also given us specific guidelines on how to take care of each other's needs without the benefit of physical proximity.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I am a person of faith myself, but I don't get this. Not at all. Yes, I love the people I go to church with. No, I don't love them so much that I'm going to risk catching a virulent disease in order to see them once a week. I don't see any kind of logic, faith-based or otherwise, that says that this is okay.

The worldwide leader of my church is a former heart surgeon. He and other church leaders, globally and locally, have gone to great lengths to make sure that church members can worship from home. Local leaders have also given us specific guidelines on how to take care of each other's needs without the benefit of physical proximity.

IMO, taking children to a church (or any building which is densely occupied) during a pandemic is tantamount to child endangerment.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Having seen more people wearing masks in shops, or out and about, I had to restrain myself from asking them to do Bane impressions.

Could Bane's mask be removed, or was it stuck to his face like Doctor Doom's? And if it couldn't, how could he eat or drink? Indeed, how did Doom eat and drink through that mask? 

38 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Could Bane's mask be removed, or was it stuck to his face like Doctor Doom's? And if it couldn't, how could he eat or drink? Indeed, how did Doom eat and drink through that mask? 

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts,
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax...
...For Mystery Science Theater 3000."

48 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

How is Darth Vader speaking while breathing? Has he mastered Force Ventriloquism?

19 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I know.  But that was deaths, not new cases, and that correction was, I believe, April 2nd.  That's the day they went from 509 deaths on the 1st, to 1355 a day later.  The death counts per day since have never been below 500...and 3 of the 5 days, have been over 1000.  

That's the other factor that makes me think it's possibly just very bad communication on their part.

Well, maybe like the deaths of the people in nursing home they had a group of positive screens they had not been reporting in their numbers and they belatedly factored them in.

48 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

So, what is the plan?  To have half of you work in morning  and the other half work in the afternoon to permit social distancing?

Dude, I don't know who first coined that "social distance" term, but I can't wait for this to be over just because of that:  I am sick to _death_ (go ahead; I'm sure y'all got jokes ;) ) of "maintaining a six-foot social distance."

I can't _wait_ to return to my usual eight-foot antisocial distance.......

1 hour ago, Ranxerox said:

Well, maybe like the deaths of the people in nursing home they had a group of positive screens they had not been reporting in their numbers and they belatedly factored them in.

The nursing home deaths weren't "confirmed" CV cases;  they didn't know what they didn't know for a while.

It may be related to a horrible fact...I grabbed some data from worldometers.  Turns out I grabbed the data for the 29 countries with the highest total cases.  They now have testing data per million people included.  OK...sort by that.  Throw out China because no one knows.  So...28 countries.  France is #21.

Country # of cases # tests/1M pop
Norway 6042 21009
Switzerland 23280 19867
Germany 113296 15730
Israel 9404 13557
Austria 12942 13408
Italy 139422 13349
Portugal 13141 12630
Australia 6052 12541
Denmark 5402 11050
Canada 19438 9591
S. Korea 10384 9310
Czechia 5312 9215
Ireland 6074 8604
Spain 148220 7593
Belgium 23403 7269
USA 427101 6647
Russia 8672 6237
Netherlands 20549 5926
Sweden 8419 5416
UK 60733 4155
France 112950 3436
Chile 5546 3159
Turkey 38226 2938
Poland 5205 2623
Iran 64586 2514
Romania 4761 2454
Brazil 16188 258
India 5916 121

Also says nothing good about Britain's NHS.  Or maybe something about the cultures...the people just aren't responding to the message, they're not getting tested when they should be?  Who knows.  I'm just hoping to look at the data and find some positives, and while I'd love to include France, as part of the bigger Western European countries bloc...can't do it with their data.

There's also an awful, foreboding aspect.  Bottom 2 countries there...Brazil and India.  Especially, to my mind, India...because the cities there are so big.  That's a series of tsunamis just sitting over the hornizon......

7 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Doom's mask isn't stuck to his face. He's taken it off in many comic issues. It just hides his disfigurement.

Bane's mask in The Dark Knight Rises provided a constant supply of anesthetic to numb him to pain. I saw nothing in the movie to suggest he couldn't take it off if he wanted to -- it's just harnessed to his head. But maybe someone else has more information.

27 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Also says nothing good about Britain's NHS.

A bit off-topic, but I hate looking for any news related to Britain:  I never know if it's under Britain, Great Britain, England (or other country name), United Kingdom, UK  (granted, those tend to be pretty close on the list, usually separated by "United States."  Is the "of America" just not important to the rest of the world?

27 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Or maybe something about the cultures...the people just aren't responding to the message, they're not getting tested when they should be?  Who knows.

Perhaps it's something like we have going on here (at least in Georgia):

Hi; I'd like to get tested.  What do I need to do?

Hang up, call this hotline number.  They will tell you to call us.

Well...  I'm talking to you right now...

Have you called the hotline?

Well, no--

You have to call the hotline first.  >click<

[call hotline]

Hi; I've potentially been exposed by a coworker who had a houseguest who was positive.  I'd like to get tested.

Are you showing any symptoms?

No; not yet.

So you're not sick at all yet?

No, Ma'am.

We have a limited number of test kits available, and we are distributing them as fast as we can.   We need to reserve them for patients who are symptomatic.

Beg pardon?  

You can't take the test unless your sick.

I thought early intervention was generally considered a good thing....?

No, Sir; we don't have the resources to squander on healthy people right now.

I don't know that I'm healthy.  I have been exposed; I'd like to know if I am putting my family in danger before I actually you know-- go home to them tonight.

If you're not sick, we can't test you.

I see.

[call clinic again]

Hi, do you whatever it is you need to test me?

Have you called the hotline?

Yes.

What did they tell you?

I have to be sick in order to get tested.

Are you sick?

Not yet; no.

[actual contempt] Then what do you want to get tested for?!

I'm pretty sure that's screwing up the numbers here in the US, or at least in the south.