• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fever broke last night. I'm going to be okay.

I tested positive.

Posted Images

Oregon Governor Kate Brown has ordered all public schools in Oregon, which are currently closed, to remain closed for the rest of the 2019-20 academic year.

This poses a lot of questions for next year, especially the seniors who have college admissions pending. Washington had already closed their schools, and a lot of other states are likely to follow suit. Schools are impossible to keep distance in and thus potential viral hotbeds.

Oregon so far as done a decent job of curve-flattening, but the warm weather we're having is causing people to go out when they don't need to and go into areas they really shouldn't (despite keep-out signs).

I've seen a lot of talk about case rates leveling off and subsequent relaxing of restrictions in the news over the past couple of days.  The data shows that while cases and deaths are no longer expanding exponentially, they are still expanding linearly.  In particular, the deaths per capita track continues to follow that of Switzerland with uncanny accuracy.  If the U.S. continues to follow the Switzerland deaths/capita trajectory it puts the U.S. death toll at twelve 9/11s in ten days.  Swiss social distancing measures are similar to those in the U.S., with the notable exception that churches are also closed.  Swiss economic emergency measures differ drastically, though.

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Not new at all.

And I admit, there is something in me that thinks all proper young ladies should be taught how to use a shotgun, or at least a taser just in case of such 'demands'

"But that would be WRONG"- Kentucky Fried Movie

Nah, I'd go with justifiable homicide under the circumstances.  :whistle:

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

You fiend! To inflict that on someone in this time of crisis is diabolical!

Why am I having visions of Larry Flynt making an alternative movie based on that book called Madam Ovary.

What? If I have to suffer with this image, all of you have to suffer, too.

I'm not so sure comparing the virus death numbers to 9/11 is completely apples to apples.  There is more than just numbers associated with the 9/11 "brand", for lack of a better term.  There was emotion and malice associated with that date.  This is bad viral Pneumonia. 

We are also at a 1/5 of a Nagasaki for US Deaths.

15 Tarawa's

10.5 Annual SIDS

0.01 Auschwitz's

Just my 2 cents.

4 minutes ago, Mightybec said:

We are also at a 1/5 of a Nagasaki for US Deaths.

Didn't know so many Americans died in Nagasaki.  ;)

If it makes you feel any better, soon we can use units like Korean Wars.  Possibly even Vietnams!  What could be a cooler unit than Vietnams?

/s

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Oregon Governor Kate Brown has ordered all public schools in Oregon, which are currently closed, to remain closed for the rest of the 2019-20 academic year.

This poses a lot of questions for next year, especially the seniors who have college admissions pending. Washington had already closed their schools, and a lot of other states are likely to follow suit. Schools are impossible to keep distance in and thus potential viral hotbeds.

Oregon so far as done a decent job of curve-flattening, but the warm weather we're having is causing people to go out when they don't need to and go into areas they really shouldn't (despite keep-out signs).

The governor here did that some time ago (27 March).  Before high schools, this feels like a TOTAL no-brainer.  Kids keeping distance???  Never gonna happen.  And almost impossible in most classrooms in any case.  There's just no way you'll expose tens, hundreds of thousands of *kids*.  

The last thing to come back will be the large-size events, particularly pro sports where you're talking 20,000+ people mashed together.  BUT...the next to last, because it is kids, is K-12 schools, I think.

I think we'll come up with potential options, that'll handle many cases.  Not all, but many.  Online aspects.  Don't start college in the fall...but let acceptance carry over to the winter term.  There will be a notable minority where it won't work, to be sure.  I also suspect there'll be more evening and online course options, especially for freshman core material, because more of those kids will need to work to help offset parental income losses.

9 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

October?  That's about -6 to hit...so...roll me a 5-....

More people able to go back to work...hopefully.  Resumption of air travel.........maybe.  Entertainment events with 20,000 people...can't see it.  1 of 2 things needed:  far more complete and comprehensive testing, or a very good treatment protocol or vaccine.  

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

Not new at all.

And I admit, there is something in me that thinks all proper young ladies should be taught how to use a shotgun, or at least a taser just in case of such 'demands'

"But that would be WRONG"- Kentucky Fried Movie

Wouldn't help, I'm afraid. Those women would probably be dragged into court by their landlords, accused of assault or threat of violence, making their situations worse. More prudent to follow the complaint procedure and give the law a chance to handle it.

1 minute ago, Lord Liaden said:

Wouldn't help, I'm afraid. Those women would probably be dragged into court by their landlords, accused of assault or threat of violence, making their situations worse. More prudent to follow the complaint procedure and give the law a chance to handle it.

Oh sure, bring logic and civilized behavior into it

:P

33 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The Mets have fans?  Talk about masochists.....

I wonder how much of a correlation there is between the Knick and Met fan bases....

I've seen some on baseball boards, and yes, cynicism and pessimism drips out of every one of their posts.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Didn't know so many Americans died in Nagasaki.  ;)

If it makes you feel any better, soon we can use units like Korean Wars.  Possibly even Vietnams!  What could be a cooler unit than Vietnams?

/s

Well, in Shadowplay, by Alan Moore and Bill Sienkiewicz, one of two graphic novels in a book called Brought to Light they were talking deaths caused by the cold war.  They extrapolated numbers in terms of swimming pools of blood (that is an adult human body has one gallon of blood with each pool representing 20,000 dead).  The imagery in the story is quite stark...

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

spacer.png

When I went to GFred Meyer over the weekend, my para-transit arrived at the same time as the armored car that swaps out their cash. I passed by an armed security guard carrying money, with a scarf covering almost my entire face, and he didn't care or even notice. If I'd done that any other time I'd probably have gotten preemptively shot.