Coronavirus

Steve

12 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Hey, maybe you will get your office back!  You laugh at it but 5 by 6 is more space than I can claim where I work.

My office is 33' x 50'.

Of course, it almost always has between 25 and 40 teenagers in it.

11 hours ago, Hermit said:

And I admit, there is something in me that thinks all proper young ladies should be taught how to use a shotgun, or at least a taser just in case of such 'demands'

There is an old saying among my people: "Teach your daughters to shoot, because a restraining order is just a piece of paper."

I'm sure no one will care but me, but that is what the Internet is for.

The Canada Revenue Agency (think IRS, but with maple leafs and hickey [EDIT:  oops - hockey] sticks) is, for the first time ever, manning the phone lines on Good Friday and Easter Monday.  Why?

Well, they don't say.  But with most of their call centres (including the ones that call to ask where your unpaid taxes are) closed, the main centres are the individual enquiries line (presently restricted to calls to help with 2019 tax returns, people whose benefits aren't showing up and those trying to get access to CRA online services used to help with those same issues) and the brand-new, 2,000 person call center dedicated exclusively to helping people apply for a brand-new benefit for those who are unable to work (sick; quarantined; laid off; etc.) due to COVID-19, I could hazard a guess.  The business line (the only other one that's not closed for the duration - I think I know where those 2,000 people came from to staff the new line) is closed as is normally the case on holidays.

We all know the reputation of the civil service in general, and the Tax Man in particular.  We get a lot of negative news these days.  We need to hear more about the people who are giving their all to help in a crisis.  There's way more of them than we know.