Coronavirus

Steve

Donald Trump likes the imagery. He fancies himself in the vein of Roosevelt or Churchill. Mussolini might be a closer analogy, though.

But calling something a "war" makes for a good patriotic rallying cry. It implies there's an actual enemy we can fight and defeat if we all "pull together." Good for mobilizing the populace. Also useful for distracting attention from anything the government is doing which might be criticized.

But to me, this "war" reminds me of the "war on drugs," in that we're not fighting some external foe -- we're fighting ourselves, our own behavior.

39 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

But to me, this "war" reminds me of the "war on drugs," in that we're not fighting some external foe -- we're fighting ourselves, our own behavior.

Really? I seem to recall how that colossal waste of money, time and life was pushed as an actual (small scale) war against an "other": drug dealers and manufacturers.

You're absolutely right. But IMHO that was the biggest reason for its failure, attacking the suppliers while mostly ignoring the causes for the demand. As long as the demand was there, no matter how many suppliers they took out, new ones would always take their place.

"Just Say No!" was never going to be enough. Society needs to examine why so many continue to say, "Yes," and deal with that too. But that would mean changing how we think and act, which is a lot harder than attacking some enemy. We're seeing right now just how hard that is.

The War for Medical Supplies: FEMA Wins by Poaching Orders

"For decades, we have worked disasters the same way. The locals execute, the states coordinate and the feds support," Kayyem said. "The federal government under Donald Trump has decided it is going to essentially go to war, create a parallel response apparatus, and it's winning. That's the problem."

The federal government is winning the chaotic competition for scarce protective equipment, Kayyem says, and in the process it's driving up the price of those supplies for everybody. And leaving states and hospitals even more desperate to find what they need.

3 hours ago, Sociotard said:

So, you're saying we're sick of winning?

More like sick from winning. Trump-style winning.

It looks like Trump wants all the supplies under federal control so he can take credit for delivering them. Maybe he feels the state administrators who were being praised for handling their outbreaks well were taking his spotlight.

I am rapidly losing patience with the IRS. I appear to have been locked out of their system permanently. And with no other way to contact them, my chances of getting that payment are looking pretty slim.

There's this office chair I'be been looking at for my home office. What I've got isn't cutting it anymore. But it now looks like I won't get it. Sigh. So much for my ongoing exercise in chicken-counting.

47 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I am rapidly losing patience with the IRS. I appear to have been locked out of their system permanently. And with no other way to contact them, my chances of getting that payment are looking pretty slim.

There's this office chair I'be been looking at for my home office. What I've got isn't cutting it anymore. But it now looks like I won't get it. Sigh. So much for my ongoing exercise in chicken-counting.

Any payment they are going to send will be delayed Mike. If you used direct deposit for your taxes last year and the year before, they will just put it in your bank account without notice. 

CES 

11 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

Any payment they are going to send will be delayed Mike. If you used direct deposit for your taxes last year and the year before, they will just put it in your bank account without notice. 

CES 

Thank you.

I complicated matters needlessly. I filed a tax return online, but TaxAct could not verify my credit union account. I have no idea why. So I was hoping to use the payment change tool to switch that over to a direct deposit. Naturally, I can;t get in. The instructions on getting into the Get my Payment system are confusing. So I may have entered the information incorrectly or tried too often -- I suspect both, but have no way of knowing.

It would be very god to know when my check arrives so I can plan accordingly.

Ventilators built by a number of different firms including Airbus, Siemens, Ford and some Formula 1 teams are approved

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52309294

And for uplifting how about this ? a 99 year old War Veteran decided to raise money by doing 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday. His goal £1,000 for NHS Charities. His feat was featured on TV and in the papers. The total raised when he completed the last lap. North of £14 million which is $17 million.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52303859

17 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Thank you.

I complicated matters needlessly. I filed a tax return online, but TaxAct could not verify my credit union account. I have no idea why. So I was hoping to use the payment change tool to switch that over to a direct deposit. Naturally, I can;t get in. The instructions on getting into the Get my Payment system are confusing. So I may have entered the information incorrectly or tried too often -- I suspect both, but have no way of knowing.

It would be very god to know when my check arrives so I can plan accordingly.

You can always try to call the agency directly, Mike. I suspect you will be on hold forever. Give it a few more days, say  the end of the week to see if it is in your account by then. 

CES

These two stories were side-by-side on the NBC News website this morning:

CV19SDMI.png

Issue a stay-at-home order? You get protests and people calling for your job.

Don't issue a stay-at-home order? You get a disproportionately large number of COVID-19 cases and people calling for your job.

What's a Governor to do?

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders whose bank account they're being sent to.

About 30 years ago, I started a job the same day as, say, twenty other people. 

My first paycheck was HUGE.

About five of us used the same bank, and HR messed up the numbers, direct depositing their checks into my account for that first time.