Coronavirus

Steve

And indeed, the NCAA has cancelled their winter and spring championships...not just the basketball tournament, but others such as volleyball and, IIRC, gymnastics.  It also looks to apply to lacrosse and baseball...so no College World Series.  That might seem to be a little premature, but when you have major institutions saying "we will not hold athletic competitions at this time" there's not much choice.

We finally got some direction from the district this afternoon.

They are NOT recommending any school closures at this time. 

However, all sports and extracurricular activities involving 100 or more people (dances, frex) are cancelled until further notice. Furthermore, all school-supported out-of-state travel (like our choir's annual week-long tour to southern California) is cancelled. So, no track meets, no dances (including Prom), no concerts, no field trips, etc.

Classes remain unaffected. So I'm not transitioning to a distance learning model after all. At his time, anyway. In terms strictly academic activities, it's pretty much business as usual.

Which is good, because the school still has toilet paper.

2 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

And indeed, the NCAA has cancelled their winter and spring championships...not just the basketball tournament, but others such as volleyball and, IIRC, gymnastics.  It also looks to apply to lacrosse and baseball...so no College World Series.  That might seem to be a little premature, but when you have major institutions saying "we will not hold athletic competitions at this time" there's not much choice.

A year without March Madness. I feel sorry for Rutgers who probably would've qualified for the first time this century. And closer to home, BYU's five-year Big Dance drought just got extended another year. 

Additionally, the NHL and MLS have followed the NBA's lead and suspended their seasons. MLS is officially talking about 30 days; the NHL's is indefinite.

Also, the NFL has cancelled their spring meetings. And MLB just shut down spring training, which will almost certainly result in the opening of the season being delayed.

Maybe it's time to start following e-sports.

Speaking of sports...

Feels like the Olympics have no chance of being held.  They're still a ways out...late summer...but we're seeing colleges suspend all activities.  So, can reasonable trials be held, to pick the teams?  US trials were scheduled for the latter part of June...getting everything restarted from such a broad shutdown already seems wildly unlikely.  So, I think the IOC won't cancel...that's irrevocable after all...but over the next several weeks, I don't think they have a choice.

The Paris-Nice cycle race is going ahead and might be cancelled at any minute. That has been the case since Sunday.

Over here they upped the level to delay with Boris appearing on TV to reassure people. I think Doc Democracy would agree with me in saying that this means we are doomed. Save yourselves America !

What I don't get is the Republican response of "cut taxes". It's like, they're a broken magic 8 ball, and the only answer is "cut taxes". (recession begins? recession ends? same answer.) I'm not saying the Democratic answer of "more sick leave" would absolutely help, but there's no denying it at least seems to directly relate to the problem.

I think granting sick leave for any period where someone is either required to be in quarantine, or for a period where health authorities request a self-quarantine, makes sense.

But that won't do anything for those who will start losing hours, if not jobs altogether.

I think Disneyland would have to close...I can't see any of their big parks staying open.  Broad mingling from many places is a really bad epidemiological scenario.  Lots of lines means extended exposure periods.  The fact that Disney chose ONLY to close Disneyland at this point, tho, does suggest it was forced on them.

22 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Nothing like this has been possible before now,. I do not know enough history to know how Conference was handled during the 1918-19 Spanish Flu pandemic, but I imagine Joseph F. Smith and Heber Grant (the Presidents of the Church at the time) were faced with some very hard choices.

I'm sure this was not an easy decision for the First Presidency to make. But I am willing to trust the judgment of the man who pioneered the surgical procedures that saved my mother's life just as I was joining the Church. I am referring, of course, to President Russell M. Nelson, who was a pioneering researcher and cardiac surgeon. The techniques he pioneered save millions of lives every year around the world.

They’ve just announced that all gatherings, including sacrament meetings, are now being temporarily suspended worldwide. I just got an email on this from the First Presidency.

Continuing with sports, the Australian Grand Prix (F1) has been canceled, and Super Sebring weekend (Sebring 1000, Sebring 12-hour) has been postponed until November. (IMSA did not act on my suggestion to livestream it, but they did seem to take it seriously and events have overtaken it anyway.)

Surviving the Tet Food Lion Offensive

Made the mistake to pick up bread on the way home. The customers were stacked like a Wal-Mart at Christmas Eve. Aisles containing water and disinfectants totally mutilated beyond recognition. Finally got out 30 minutes later (according to clock, but am convinced it was 4 days) and I think the look on my face said "I have been through some ####, man. 

So, pretty sure their are 3 kinds of people left in my area

#1-We are going to die!!! (about 92%)

#2-I got nothing to worry about, I don't even drink Corona Light

#3-Me

I fully expect tomorrow I will see Kareem Abdul-Jabbar walking down the streets screaming "bring out your dead"

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Knox County TN got it's first confirmed case. The state of Tennessee has 18 total.

I await for the freak outs and rushes on stores to pile up *Sigh*

Yes, with allergy season coming I expect.

"I got a sore throat and runny nose like usual this time of year, I gots the Corona"