Coronavirus

Steve

A vehicle rapidly turned into my street, impacted the front-left corner of a neighbor's car parked along their curb, coasted down the length of the road before stopping in a driveway and then calmly drove back onto the main road. Days later, that damaged car had its tires stolen; the poor automobile now rests on cinder blocks...still in its initial position. Pandemic be damned, the larcenous-at-heart are continuing to find economic opportunities.

36 minutes ago, Mightybec said:

Interesting article related to Stanford's Study on the virus.

https://spectator.us/stanford-study-suggests-coronavirus-more-widespread-realized/

This is what I'm hoping for.  Like I said earlier, I have two friends who were hospitalized with it.  I saw both of them during the period when they should have been infectious but not yet showing symptoms.  When I found out one of them was in the hospital for it, my throat immediately felt scratchy and I was coughing a little bit for the rest of the day.  Allergies?  A psychosomatic reaction?  Or do 95% of us shrug it off like it's nothing?

54 minutes ago, Mightybec said:

Interesting article related to Stanford's Study on the virus.

https://spectator.us/stanford-study-suggests-coronavirus-more-widespread-realized/

I've seen another article along these lines from, I believe, the Jewish Journal which suggested that the virus is already massively more widespread than we've previously suspected and that the quarantine efforts are no longer going to be effective.

Among other things they looked at the 8 week taper off point of countries that shut down vs. countries that did not and they're roughly the same pattern.  Suggesting that the lock downs aren't working because this stuff is so stupidly contagious it can't be contained well.

Which is good news in a sense - while just awful this disease is NOT 3-10% lethal.  It's going to end up being well below 1%.

I'd like to return to full time and AND not die.  Hopefully that's going to turn out to be a very real possibility in the near future.

30 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Another odd thing about the quarantine order and its consequences: You can't get a learner's permit at the moment.  (My daughter was planning on finally getting her license this summer.)

On a sort of related note, 

Our local law enforcement here (city and county and the next city over) have all come to an agreement:  until something is done or decided about this Covid thing, if you don't think it's worth getting out of your car for, then don't get out of your car.

Weirdly, adults making their commutes and errands have picked up an additional 5 to eight miles an hour (which, I suppose, _could_ be due to reduced traffic flow, but since traffic here has _always_ run five mph over any sign, I doubt it).  People under thirty seem to have picked up an additional thirty miles and hour.  It's....  sketchy....  going to work and back lately.  Even my wife has been driving the Leviathan instead of her new car (which seriously ups my dis-infect labor, having to do it every time I get out).

In other news, still no symptoms.  Given that some of the stuff of seen suggests I'm not likely to be an asymptomatic carrier (given other health issues), if nothing happens by Sunday noon, I'm going to move back into the house.

21 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Anyone NOT think there's a connection between Trump's "you guys decide on your own" and a sudden rise in lockdown protests?

One of the groups in Michigan was backed by the DeVos family, and of course, Betsy DeVos is the Secretary of Education. 

I do _not_ wish this on _anyone_; I really don't.

But if they should just _happen_ to have the majority of those idiots develop this virus, I hope that is held up to the public forever.  Even though it would be a self-solving problem, I would want it as a reminder for _every_ DeVos family stupidity that comes down the line.

I'm really questioning how effective these lockdowns are.  "Essential" employees are still working, and at least here that includes people at fast food restaurants.  I got a bacon cheeseburger the other day at the drive through.  I gave my credit card, which could have been a bigger germ farm than that monkey in Outbreak, to the guy at the window.  Wearing gloves that had touched a thousand other credit cards, he ran it through the card machine that had processed every other card in the city, and handed it back to me.  I grabbed it with my ungloved hand and put it in my wallet.  Then I used that same hand to hold my tasty bacon cheeseburger and shove it into my mouth.

The drive through was absolutely packed.  I've never seen Whataburger so crowded as I have the last few weeks.  Every person who can't cook has lined up to interact with the same guy at the window.  Right now we're basically the people in zombie movies who do really obviously stupid things, and are then surprised when they get bitten.

42 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Anyone NOT think there's a connection between Trump's "you guys decide on your own" and a sudden rise in lockdown protests?

Of course they're connected.  By pretending to delegate lockdown authority to the states, Trump neatly avoids any and all blame.  Unemployed?  It's your governor's fault.  Big virus spike?  It's your governor's fault.  Now he can sit on the sidelines and tweet incitements like "Liberate Virginia and protect your 2nd Amendment!" just to keep his base happily enraged.

People need to stop thinking Trump is an idiot.  He's not.  He's politically brilliant and utterly amoral.  American lives are not even a consideration in his decision making process.  Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.