Coronavirus

Steve

Well...surprise, surprise.

Couple weeks ago, I tried to order some disposable face masks...yeah, getting robbed on the price.  That order, through Wal-mart...I'm pretty sure was a scam at this point.  OR, that the seller lied.  Long story short, they were supposed to be here yesterday, but the shipping status is basically "in limbo."  AND in such a way that Wal-mart thinks it's too late to cancel.  Yeah, they're not doing squat, I'm disputing the charge.  We'll see.  If I get it back, fine;  if not...lesson learned.  

So I went back to Amazon, and flipped thru.  Lots of listings,  many with expected delivery in the 6+ week range.  Well that's no good.  One company had some...price was only horrible, expected to arrive middle next week.  So I ordered them Wednesday.

USPS digest said expect them Monday....couple days ahead of schedule.

They arrived this afternoon.  

It's important to keep up with fashion trends, after all....

The recent Stanford study showing a very high infection rate in Santa Clara County is in danger of being retracted because its sample pool was achieved via a Facebook announcement rather than randomly.  This would have the effect of preferentially attracting people who suspected they were exposed and underreported their symptoms.  It's too bad, 3300 would have been a great sample size.

Of course, demonstrating that the virus is even more contagious than previously thought is not exactly an argument in favor of relaxing distancing restrictions. 

Scary news.  Brazil's new case numbers are beginning to climb;  3 of the last 4 days have been over 3000 a day.  (The other was about 2000.)  50% increase in the last 4 days.  And testing...practically non-existent...which tends to suggest they're mostly finding they symptomic to me.  36,000 cases;  2368 deaths.  6600+ more in serious/critical.  Another reason to think they're being found in the medical centers, too much, not on the streets.  That's a country of 200 million people.....

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Scary news.  Brazil's new case numbers are beginning to climb;  3 of the last 4 days have been over 3000 a day.  (The other was about 2000.)  50% increase in the last 4 days.  And testing...practically non-existent...which tends to suggest they're mostly finding they symptomic to me.  36,000 cases;  2368 deaths.  6600+ more in serious/critical.  Another reason to think they're being found in the medical centers, too much, not on the streets.  That's a country of 200 million people.....

Seems they are going on the same stage, as the USA has been on, and Italy before them.  And China before (anyone's guess to their actual numbers, other than the vague "probably several times higher than actually reported")

The problem with "a practical plan to get back to work" is, IMO, that presupposes a level of testing that we're nowhere CLOSE to having.  It's a WSJ story, I'd be curious to see the rest of the argument but I'm not a subscriber.  Still, those words also tend to place the "back to work" FAR ahead of the public health concerns.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Brazil's president Bolsonaro has from the beginning of the pandemic publicly dismissed concerns over coronavirus. He is still insisting that businesses stay open, encouraging the public to attend group activities and events, and he himself makes a point of appearing at rallies, ceremonies, parties, while wading into crowds for glad-handing. Many Brazilians have been taking their cue from him. Health professionals have been warning for weeks that Brazil is heading for a crisis.

It's more evidence that Donald Trump may actually not be the biggest idiot among world leaders.

32 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Brazil's president Bolsonaro has from the beginning of the pandemic publicly dismissed concerns over coronavirus. He is still insisting that businesses stay open, encouraging the public to attend group activities and events, and he himself makes a point of appearing at rallies, ceremonies, parties, while wading into crowds for glad-handing. Many Brazilians have been taking their cue from him. Health professionals have been warning for weeks that Brazil is heading for a crisis.

It's more evidence that Donald Trump may actually not be the biggest idiot among world leaders.

Brazil and India have both been noted as being ticking time bombs. 

What's a bit extra-scary with what you're saying is, if things fall apart there, it feels like Brazil is ripe to plunge into a coup, MAJOR rioting, or civil war.