Coronavirus

Steve

On 4/17/2020 at 8:07 PM, Old Man said:

I prefer to see evidence to back up bothsiderist arguments.

I won't say that you don't do that.  I _cant_ say that you don't do that.  I can say  "not from what I've seen.". I will qualify that by saying also that I stay my ass _out_ of the political thread for the simple reason that I have no interest in hate, bile, or punditism.  I see no reason to seek out things I know are going to irritate me; my free time is far to scarce and precious to spend it irritated. So I stay out of the political thread.  Evidently the assumption that politics stays in that thread is only valid during Democrat administrations.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:07 PM, Old Man said:

Near as I can tell only one rabid fan base is literally protesting the measures that are keeping them alive.

Yes.  Only one-

Evidently the fan base of whatever lunatic pitched this idea. 

When you chose to say "Trump supporters," you do an excellent job of painting millions of other people who are looking at these people the same way you and I are as being a part and parcel of these DeVos morons. 

It's rather like finding a group a group of lunatics supporting doing something really stupid, noticing that they are all white, and saying "see?  See how completely messed up white people are?" 

You are using a truth-  we know that some number of these people _are_ Trump supporters; they have window signs and other things proclaiming themselves as such-  in such a way as to make an untruthful statement by conviently omitting a qualifier or two. It's almost like modern journalism: punditry. 

I'm no Trump fan, but I'm not a fan of insulting millions of people for absolutely no reason, either, simply because it is possible to find a label that makes that connection.  The politics of punditry and jedi mind tricks are the 

I have to wonder:

If I were to do the same to some popular Democrat that I might have held at the same level of disdain at which I hold Trump, how many seconds would it have taken me to get banned?  Ten?  Eight? 

I mean, if Democrat X had won an election by clear majority, and a couple of thosaund of his people did something really, really stupid, and went on a tirade stating "

If I had said" democrats beat people in the face with padlocks on bike chains while other democrats cheer and hoot and hold the face-sldestroyers as heroes! " I would have just as absolutely right as you are when you say" Trump supporters are exposing themselves to the disease and undermining the purpose of the quarantine! ". I am absolutely as right, and I am doing excalty the same damage and disservice.  

And if people listen?  Some will eventually believe it, and ultimately, all democrats will be violent revolutionaries or all Trump supporters will be immoral warriors wielding the biological tools of armegeddon, but I can still feel guilt-free about not taking any accountability for what I say because, through my own grammatical choices, I told nothing but the truth.  So I didn't tell all of it?  So what? 

I don't care for the Dipstick in Chief, and I can't support what he does because-- well, because he hasn't _done_ anything other than flap his gums a lot.  But like any other group of people on earth, I am not so damned scared of people who think things that are different foem the things I think that I have to find a way to demonize them for things they flat had nothing to do with, and unlike pundits, I recognize that when I do dirty things, I become the filth that perpetuates the problems. 

No need to ban me. 

I can see myself out.   Maybe I'll stop by the political forum on the way; it must be quiet as midnight on Mars over there right now.

You folks enjoy your lives.  I am moving back into the house today.  I love you guys-- _all_ of you guys.  But I've got enough stupid in my day-to-day; I don't need it thrown at me when I'm trying to relax.  Chris, LL- keep in touch, please.  Chris Goodwin has my e-mail if you want it. 

Time for another couple of years away, I think.  Shame I'll miss the  Champions Now paper book (I assume banning means no hero store), but under the circumstances, it's better than hanging around. I can't stand this crap anymore. 

45 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I won't say that you don't do that.  I _cant_ say that you don't do that.  I can say  "not from what I've seen.". I will qualify that by saying also that I stay my ass _out_ of the political thread for the simple reason that I have no interest in hate, bile, or punditism.  I see no reason to seek out things I know are going to irritate me; my free time is far to scarce and precious to spend it irritated. So I stay out of the political thread.  Evidently the assumption that politics stays in that thread is only valid during Democrat administrations.

Yes.  Only one-

Evidently the fan base of whatever lunatic pitched this idea. 

When you chose to say "Trump supporters," you do an excellent job of painting millions of other people who are looking at these people the same way you and I are as being a part and parcel of these DeVos morons. 

It's rather like finding a group a group of lunatics supporting doing something really stupid, noticing that they are all white, and saying "see?  See how completely messed up white people are?" 

You are using a truth-  we know that some number of these people _are_ Trump supporters; they have window signs and other things proclaiming themselves as such-  in such a way as to make an untruthful statement by conviently omitting a qualifier or two. It's almost like modern journalism: punditry. 

I'm no Trump fan, but I'm not a fan of insulting millions of people for absolutely no reason, either, simply because it is possible to find a label that makes that connection.  The politics of punditry and jedi mind tricks are the 

I have to wonder:

If I were to do the same to some popular Democrat that I might have held at the same level of disdain at which I hold Trump, how many seconds would it have taken me to get banned?  Ten?  Eight? 

I mean, if Democrat X had won an election by clear majority, and a couple of thosaund of his people did something really, really stupid, and went on a tirade stating "

If I had said" democrats beat people in the face with padlocks on bike chains while other democrats cheer and hoot and hold the face-sldestroyers as heroes! " I would have just as absolutely right as you are when you say" Trump supporters are exposing themselves to the disease and undermining the purpose of the quarantine! ". I am absolutely as right, and I am doing excalty the same damage and disservice.  

And if people listen?  Some will eventually believe it, and ultimately, all democrats will be violent revolutionaries or all Trump supporters will be immoral warriors wielding the biological tools of armegeddon, but I can still feel guilt-free about not taking any accountability for what I say because, through my own grammatical choices, I told nothing but the truth.  So I didn't tell all of it?  So what? 

I don't care for the Dipstick in Chief, and I can't support what he does because-- well, because he hasn't _done_ anything other than flap his gums a lot.  But like any other group of people on earth, I am not so damned scared of people who think things that are different foem the things I think that I have to find a way to demonize them for things they flat had nothing to do with, and unlike pundits, I recognize that when I do dirty things, I become the filth that perpetuates the problems. 

No need to ban me. 

I can see myself out.   Maybe I'll stop by the political forum on the way; it must be quiet as midnight on Mars over there right now.

You folks enjoy your lives.  I am moving back into the house today.  I love you guys-- _all_ of you guys.  But I've got enough stupid in my day-to-day; I don't need it thrown at me when I'm trying to relax.  Chris, LL- keep in touch, please.  Chris Goodwin has my e-mail if you want it. 

Time for another couple of years away, I think.  Shame I'll miss the  Champions Now paper book (I assume banning means no hero store), but under the circumstances, it's better than hanging around. I can't stand this crap anymore. 

It is clear by now what sort of man Donald Trump is; anyone still supporting him is manifestly stupid, proudly ignorant or in alignment with his mentality.

Hey y'all. Didn't really bother reading the whole thread but it seems to have got slightly off topic. I wanted to respond to the original topic, apologies if that's jarring. Have there been many responses from Canada? I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Things here are pretty good, I'd have to say. Most of the known cases for Canada come from the province of Quebec (for whatever reason, it really spread quickly there at the beginning of April) and the other big cities, Toronto and Vancouver. In Winnipeg, a city of ~750,000, greater metro, we've only had 250 total cases, and I heard recently we only have 10 people in the hospital seeking care right now. Other are most likely quarantined somewhere else. There is talk of lifting some of the restrictions soon. 

Standard emergency medical orders have been put in place, limiting the number of people that can gather in a public place to 5 or 10, and non-critical businesses have been shut down, which is a whole lot of services and retail.

I still get together with some of my friends who aren't taking social distancing too seriously, and getting out and about. I have bee playing boardgames weekly, and would really really love a roleplaying game group, but alas, no such luck.

17 minutes ago, Zeropoint said:

Some kind of Mafia threat?

Further examination reveals that the figure (a soldier from the second World War or earlier, judging by their load-bearing equipment) is factory sealed; spaghetti gangster or otherwise, the sender respects collectibility. Also, Lego products are by no means cheap.