Gaming Community Forum/Website/Group?

Tedology

Hello all,

I'd love for my players to be able to journal or add to our campaign when we don't meet. We currently meet every two weeks.

Is there any type of (preferably FREE) service where I can have members register and add to the content? For example, either a wiki, or a forum (such as this) or a group (like a Facebook group)?

Only one other player besides me has Facebook, so I can't do a Facebook group unfortunately.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I use Google Drive and a shared folder with maps and notes. You can even add links to docs  as a note on a location.

However Obsidian Portal is designed for this and offers a service like this, but I do not know how complex it is as I do not use it.

Roll20 can do this by having threads for recording details and making the players Co-GMs of an account. They could then edit in the initial thread for a location or organization and add posts when new major revelations are brought forth.

It’s really odd timing that you ask this. I just started a Slack group three days ago, which is really a chat site, but I integrated Google Drive for file sharing, and Tettra for wiki support that everyone can modify. I’m not sure it’s the best way to do it yet, but so far so good. It’s all free, so there are no barriers to entry. 

Thank you all for your willingness to help! :)

Just now, Brian Stanfield said:

It’s really odd timing that you ask this. I just started a Slack group three days ago, which is really a chat site, but I integrated Google Drive for file sharing, and Tettra for wiki support that everyone can modify. I’m not sure it’s the best way to do it yet, but so far so good. It’s all free, so there are no barriers to entry. 

@Brian Stanfield - I haven't heard of Tettra - is it hard to use?

5 hours ago, Tedology said:

Thank you all for your willingness to help! :)

@Brian Stanfield - I haven't heard of Tettra - is it hard to use?

Not at all. I figured it out in minutes, and it’s designed to integrate with Slack, so it’s pretty seamless. 

I just looked at Obsidian Portal and another called World Anvil, and they both look like they are better versions of what I just set up. I may switch over to one of those instead, after I do a bit more research. I’ll let you know what I find.

The one thing Slack has going for it is that it has become a standard in the business world, so people are likely to either already have it, or may find a use for it outside of gaming if they get it.

8 hours ago, Brian Stanfield said:

Not at all. I figured it out in minutes, and it’s designed to integrate with Slack, so it’s pretty seamless. 

I just looked at Obsidian Portal and another called World Anvil, and they both look like they are better versions of what I just set up. I may switch over to one of those instead, after I do a bit more research. I’ll let you know what I find.

The one thing Slack has going for it is that it has become a standard in the business world, so people are likely to either already have it, or may find a use for it outside of gaming if they get it.

Many thanks! I'll check into Slack.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:28 AM, Tedology said:

Many thanks! I'll check into Slack.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been fiddling around with Microsoft OneNote, and I’ve decided that’s what I’m going to use. It has a great notebook approach with sections and pages which can all be linked like a makeshift wiki, and can be shared with your group so everyone can modify it. Look at the video I posted above for a great tutorial and lots of great ideas.