Strange Attack Damage Classes

MechaniCat

So I'm thinking about creating another attack type which would do xd6 Body and half that in Stun. Or at least an attack that does more body damage than stun by default.

Part of the purpose would be to ensure higher death versus knockout rate in heroic campaigns.

But to balance out the attack how many Damage Classes would such an attack type be? 3 DCs per d6 because it does the same amount of Body or would it be fewer DCs because of less Stun?

(I don't like hit locations so I probably won't use them)

In addition I figure Normal Defense would reduce Body damage but not stun. So the more defense a character has, the more likely they are to be knocked out first and by extension the longer it would taken to drop them since you would have to rely on dealing damage to the larger value. Note that all attacks would do minimum 1 damage in this structure.

4 hours ago, MechaniCat said:

So I'm thinking about creating another attack type which would do xd6 Body and half that in Stun. Or at least an attack that does more body damage than stun by default.

Part of the purpose would be to ensure higher death versus knockout rate in heroic campaigns.

But to balance out the attack how many Damage Classes would such an attack type be? 3 DCs per d6 because it does the same amount of Body or would it be fewer DCs because of less Stun?

(I don't like hit locations so I probably won't use them)

In addition I figure Normal Defense would reduce Body damage but not stun. So the more defense a character has, the more likely they are to be knocked out first and by extension the longer it would taken to drop them since you would have to rely on dealing damage to the larger value. Note that all attacks would do minimum 1 damage in this structure.

To me, you really are just talking about a limited killing attack.  If you limit the STUN delivered to x1/2 BODY then you get exactly what you are thinking about.  I think I would class this as a 1/4 limitation and definitely no more than 1/2.  Killing attacks were not designed to kill and limiting their potential to KO opponents is not really restricting their usefulness.

If you wanted to bake that into a new attack type, 1/2 makes for easier math.  The new attack would cost 10pts per 3 DCs.

Reduced Stun Multiple on a KA is -1/4 per reduction, capping at -1/2 for "always 1".  Practically, "always 1/2" isn't much more limiting, so I'd agree with sticking to -1/2.

I'd be reluctant to lower the active point cost or the DC computation.  6 DCs of killing is 2d6, for an average roll of 7 BOD.  Make it 3d6 for an average of 10.5 BOD, and the impact, I expect, will be PCs buying more rDEF - not PCs taking more BOD - as they want characters who can survive.  They will be looking for heavier armor, for example.

Although that issue goes away if we assume normal defenses reduce BOD but  not STUN.  With an average of 8 Def, 4 rDef, that 7 BOD wounds for 3 BOD past defenses, while this new model will average 2.5 BOD past 8 defenses.