Easiest software to run a game online

Tywyll I am doing the next video today hopefully .. it will be about importing from Hero Designer. Have you gone to my you tube channel and watched any of the videos of play? .. lots of examples of it there. Also I assume you are based near Europe .. If you want to spend some time on Tabletop I will give you a personal rundown. Just PM me here or join the discord and look for me there

16 hours ago, sinanju said:

You and me both. I hate it when I follow a link to some news item and I get a video instead of text. I want TEXT. A transcript I can skim to see if it's worth my time to read more closely, or to actually watch the video. Usually, I just hit the BACK button and move on. Life is too short to watch a 10 minute video that turns out to be pointless.

1000% on point!

2 hours ago, Brennall said:

Tywyll I am doing the next video today hopefully .. it will be about importing from Hero Designer. Have you gone to my you tube channel and watched any of the videos of play? .. lots of examples of it there. Also I assume you are based near Europe .. If you want to spend some time on Tabletop I will give you a personal rundown. Just PM me here or join the discord and look for me there

I'll admit I've not had time to sit down and watch the videos, though I hope to do so over the weekend.

Oh my gosh, that would be amazing! Yeah, I'm in Scotland. I would love that! Maybe Sat or Sunday evening?

2 hours ago, Tywyll said:

I'll admit I've not had time to sit down and watch the videos, though I hope to do so over the weekend.

Oh my gosh, that would be amazing! Yeah, I'm in Scotland. I would love that! Maybe Sat or Sunday evening?

Where in Scotland?  I am originally from Wishaw (in Lanarkshire).

Doc

On 3/22/2020 at 12:56 AM, Doc Democracy said:

15 years in Auld Reekie.  It’s a cold cold place. 🙂

hope they are treating you well, at least you married west coast. 😇

Doc

Couldn't have wished for a better family away from family! 😇

It's cold, but that's preferable to the sweltering humidity of TN! I'll take cold any day!

1 minute ago, Tywyll said:

Couldn't have wished for a better family away from family! 😇

It's cold, but that's preferable to the sweltering humidity of TN! I'll take cold any day!

But I spent almost two years in Nashville, doing post-doctoral research in Meharry Medical College...I was very taken with the TN weather and, for me, it even decided to snow for two days...

Just now, Doc Democracy said:

But I spent almost two years in Nashville, doing post-doctoral research in Meharry Medical College...I was very taken with the TN weather and, for me, it even decided to snow for two days...

I guess the grass is always greener!

20 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

It was helped by the fact that girls in Nashville were FASCINATED by my accent.  I was exotic and I got WAY more attention than I ever did back home.  Gives a place a kind of shine in the memory.  🙂

LOL...that reminds me of my days as an exchange student in London. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks!

I've used Roll20 for D&D 5E for over a year. It's free to sign up and use for players and GM alike. Purchasing online compendia--the complete D&D PHB, for example--costs money. So too do "Plus" and "Pro" accounts if you want to go that route (I am currently a "Plus" account).

I can't speak to other platforms, but Roll20 in combination with Zoom works very well for my players and me. The currently available Roll20 resources for Hero are slim, but it's not impossible or even that difficult to translate to the Roll20 format. (Hey HERO friends--why not work with Roll20 to publish your rules and modules on their platform?)

In fact, I plan to announce an episodic 4th edition Champions game on Roll20 shortly. It will be a charity fundraiser to combat COVID-19. I will ask players to donate at least $10 per game session to the CDC Foundation or a 501c3 tax-deductible charity of their choice. I've purchased some superhero tokens and modern urban maps from 3rd party vendors on Roll20, and I'm very pleased with the results so far. For use in that game and others, I created an Excel-based 4th edition Combat Record Sheet (attached here and in the downloads section). 

No doubt, online games lack the spirit and camaraderie of in-person games. But we are Heroes! Take advantage of our current circumstances to expand your gaming world to include others who wouldn't otherwise make it to your tabletop! I have--it's great. Together we can SMASH COVID-19 like Obsidian stepping on a grape!

Steve "Koop" Kuperberg

Champions GM 1989-91 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, presently Bethesda, MD

CombatSheetScreen.png

ChampionsCombatSheet.xlsx