Summon Specific Object

iamlibertarian

I understand why summoning a specific object is more expensive (Slavishly Devoted) since it already has to do everything the Summoner wants. But it can get prohibitively expensive to have it be a Specific 'Being' (another +1).

I can see a Specific Being costing +1 because it is a sentient being who can resist on arrival (contest of wills). But if a character merely wants to summon his Sword of Smiting Evil (his main focus for the bulk of his powers), forsaking summoning any other sword, should it cost so much to be able to summon it? I know, the argument might be that a simple Cosmetic Transform: Instant Change with some mystical or metaphysical SFX. But what if, like for Thor, his Hammer really isn't there, and he needs to Summon it to him? Or a CyberMage leaves his special laptop in the teams Van to keep it safe, but suddenly needs it? Should it really cost a full +2 (+1 Slavish, +1 Specific Being) if he wants to build a Power to summon it?

What do you think of separating Specific Being from Specific Object, and making a separate advantage: Summon Specific Non-Sentient Object (+1/2)? Between Slavish and this modifier it is still (+1 1/2).

For an object there is absolutely no need to summon it.  Just buy it without the focus limitation.  You can use it whenever you want.  The SFX of that might be putting your hand out and the weapon flies into it, wherever you are. 

You could come up with a custom limitation (along the lines of restrainable) if you want to make it more difficult to summon the weapon if you are in Hel and did not have it on you when you travelled.

Doc

9 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

For an object there is absolutely no need to summon it.  Just buy it without the focus limitation.  You can use it whenever you want.  The SFX of that might be putting your hand out and the weapon flies into it, wherever you are. 

You could come up with a custom limitation (along the lines of restrainable) if you want to make it more difficult to summon the weapon if you are in Hel and did not have it on you when you travelled.

Doc

I hadn't thought about that. Sounds so simple, and I like simple! Plus, whatever object could be made UBO if others can use it, like a specific, favorite vehicle which another person could drive. Thanks!