2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

Which begs the question of whether the Titans can actually play Sunday, with no practice time, no way to work on a game plan, at least on the field.  Vikes are shut down for today;  not sure what their plans are.  They had no positives, so they might return to normal prep soon enough.

How delicious...I was seeing if Vegas' odds had changed yet.  Not that I could see, but this is still pretty recent news.  The delicious part is, the Titans had intended to allow fans.  Only 10% of the capacity, but still....  Now?  We'll see.  I love irony.

After handing out $100,000 fines to several coaches and players for removing masks and various fines to other people on the sidelines, the NFL is now considering suspensions and teams forfeiting draft picks if sideline personnel remove their masks.

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-nfl-football-archive-1e7d7ebf1c9ab843cc33dd387bcc5440

17 hours ago, archer said:

After handing out $100,000 fines to several coaches and players for removing masks and various fines to other people on the sidelines, the NFL is now considering suspensions and teams forfeiting draft picks if sideline personnel remove their masks.

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-nfl-football-archive-1e7d7ebf1c9ab843cc33dd387bcc5440

And we know why now.

Titans-Steelers has been postponed until......who knows?  They don't share a bye week.  This is a huge mess;  in a 16 game season, the impact of missing even a single game is much more dramatic.  And football doesn't allow the compression, the ability to play a bunch of games in a limited span, as baseball did.

I think the NFL is terrified by this.  The zero-tolerance, harsh punishment approach is saying, look, our entire *season* is still on a very tenuous basis, so TAKE IT SERIOUSLY!!!!

Jets have just proven the gap between them and a real football team is enormous.

No, I didn't watch, but caught some of the scores while watching baseball, and reviewing the box.

How can you lose a game when you're +3 in turnover margin????  When your offense is abysmal.  Darnold was below 6 yards per attempt;  he ran 6 for 84, but he's not a running QB per se, so I tend to discount these as quasi-flukes.  The real backs only managed 45 yards on *18* carries.  Broncos ran the ball nicely.

But, good grief.  At home, facing a team's 3rd QB, you get the 3 TOs, and you still lose.  It probably won't happen, but the 0-16 countdown clock sure has to be ticking for them.

I watched the first half, and man, was it painful. So many missed tackles (there's no way Sam Darnold should be running 46 yards for a touchdown!), so many botched plays, so freakin' many stupid penalties. Oh yeah, and Brett Rypien threw three interceptions, one of which was on a ball he was trying to throw out of bounds but somehow failed to do. What a freak show.

And yeah, Adam Gase is done. I'd have to say he's the odds-on favorite for first head coach fired in 2020. Vic Fangio may not be far behind.

Ohhh....how does one lose a game when you have a +3 TO margin?

6 personal foul penalties, huh?  3 roughing the passer...  Yeah, that's a good way to do it.  Aggression is one thing, stupidity is something else.  Sporting News was calling for Gase to be gone NOW...and Robinson with him.  Yeah...0 sacks, but 7 first downs allowed by penalty...not good.

32 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Ohhh....how does one lose a game when you have a +3 TO margin?

6 personal foul penalties, huh?  3 roughing the passer...  Yeah, that's a good way to do it.  Aggression is one thing, stupidity is something else.  Sporting News was calling for Gase to be gone NOW...and Robinson with him.  Yeah...0 sacks, but 7 first downs allowed by penalty...not good.

???  See 3 posts up.

Is the NFL season in jeopardy?

More positive tests for the Titans...8 players, 16 total.  New positives over several days, suggests that the week 5 game might be delayed, if it can be played.

Pats and Chiefs both get positive tests, so their game's been delayed...and Cam's tested positive so he's out for the game no matter what.

To answer the lead question...no, it's not in jeopardy *yet*.  But ya gotta think the league and the NFLPA are doubling and tripling down on the message to Be Vewwwwy, Vewwwy Caweful!!!  The NFL doesn't have the kind of scheduling flexibility that MLB had.

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

A premature cancellation would almost certainly result in the Broncos losing fewer than 10 games this year.

That might be the only way this outcome can be achieved at this point.

Could be worse.  You could be a NY football fan.

Yes, Vegas has lines for everything...including a team going 0-16.  Giants and Jets are only +1800 (bet 100, get 1800 back) to do so.  That was before Thursday, for the Jets.  By contrast, the Steelers are running +1800 to +2200 to win the AFC...but the favorites are KC and Baltimore and they're still +600 and +700.  So +1800 for such a long-term futures bet is not that big a long shot.

Perhaps, but this week?  Cowboy defense is GODAWFUL.  Browns *rushed* for 300.  When's the last time you saw that???  2nd and 3rd quarters, Browns go 9 for 75, 4 for 34, 6 for 51, 13 for 71 (4 minutes, had to kick FG as the 1st half ended), 7 for 70, and 4 for 40 for another FG.  Yes, 34 unanswered.  OK, Cowboys had 3 TOs, but still, that's just too many highly effective drives.  Cowboys were 29th in scoring defense, and that's gonna jump.

Beckham had 2 big plays...but Browns fans have to worry, because neither was from Mayfield, who only went 19/30 for 165.  That's bad.  Beckham caught a 37 yard TD...from Jarvis Landry.  And scored on a questionable reverse when the Browns had squandered most of their lead...including giving up *3 straight* 2-point conversions.  Almost lost big, but it worked.  But the Browns are the 2nd worst passing team in the league (in yards per game) so it's not just a "well if they're gonna give us the run, we'll take it!"

Cowboy fans, other than needing an intervention, have to be particularly upset because this wasn't week 1 or week 2.  Teams should be starting to round into form;  I doubt they're there yet, but they should be shaping up.  And this was just a terrible performance overall...again.

EDIT:  Oh, and just to rub salt into the wound...Nick Chubb suffered an injury, I'm seeing, in the first half...so he wasn't even part of the rushing attack.