2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

18 hours ago, Pariah said:

A premature cancellation would almost certainly result in the Broncos losing fewer than 10 games this year.

That might be the only way this outcome can be achieved at this point.

Look at the bright side.

The opposing teams could be having breathing problems so bad that they couldn't function at the Broncos' stadium.

So with how things are progressing...

Who all is in favor of denying the NFC East a playoff berth due to utter failure to meet even loose qualifying standards?

If SF can hold onto this 4th quarter lead, they'll be a combined 2-13-1...with the wins being against the Eagles, and the choke-artist Falcons.  2 wins for the whole division...no other division has less than 7, and that's with 2 games Monday.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

So with how things are progressing...

Who all is in favor of denying the NFC East a playoff berth due to utter failure to meet even loose qualifying standards?

If SF can hold onto this 4th quarter lead, they'll be a combined 2-13-1...with the wins being against the Eagles, and the choke-artist Falcons.  2 wins for the whole division...no other division has less than 7, and that's with 2 games Monday.

I am not in favor.  I remember the NFC West in 2010.

Man, Joe Burrow has been impressive.  Particularly when he operates from the spread as he did last year at LSU.  The general thought in Bengal-land was that they would improve thanks to their unusual FA spending spree in the off-season, and the rookie QB would be holding them back.  However, up to this point he's been the only consistent bright spot on the team.  Although, Joe Mixon finally broke out with a good game yesterday.

I'm hoping that whatever happened with the Titans (and maybe even President Trump) will have a sobering effect around the league and teams who may not be taking it serious will now start to do that.  If the Titans were found to have violated Covid rules then everyone involved should be severely punished.  The players and personnel should be fined heavily - perhaps even suspension - and the team should lose draft picks.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

So, which of the following is more likely:

* New York Jets finish 0-16 ; or

* NFL season is terminated due to COVID-19?

If you're really bold, you can choose the parlay where #1 doesn't happen because #2 does.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

If the Browns are actually doing well, then #2 is DEFINITELY happening....

The city of New York is 0-8, the NFC East has three wins, and the teams with solid records right now are the the opposite of media favorites. 

Also, Seattle's schedule between Thanksgiving and Christmas goes: NFC East less Dallas, plus the Jets.

Yeah, they'll pull the plug on the season by mid-November at latest.

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

Man, Joe Burrow has been impressive.  Particularly when he operates from the spread as he did last year at LSU.  The general thought in Bengal-land was that they would improve thanks to their unusual FA spending spree in the off-season, and the rookie QB would be holding them back.  However, up to this point he's been the only consistent bright spot on the team.  Although, Joe Mixon finally broke out with a good game yesterday.

Don't get cocky. It was against the Jags.

Just now, Logan.1179 said:

Don't get cocky. It was against the Jags.

Oh, I agree, but Burrow has been consistently good for all 4 games even though he had no preseason, has been consistently pressured and hit (until yesterday) and only 1 true INT as the one yesterday wasn't his fault.  I watched Andy Dalton for 8 years and I thought Burrow would be another Dalton.  He is most definitely not Dalton.  Bengal OL, DL and linebackers are still awful (particularly the OL) so we still won't win more than 3-4 games as usual.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

And the first coach firing of 2020 is... not Adam Gase!

Huh.  It's not that surprising it wasn't Gase...but O'Brien.  It's not a crime to go 0-3, when it was Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers.  OK, losing to the Vikes, that's not good.

Phil Simms was pointing out, this is probably culture and attitude...but also getting the guy in to support and groom DeShaun Watson.  They've been...I dunno if they've really been underachievers, but largely stuck in MediocreLand.  And this may also be the ownership transition firming up, and the new guy isn't as committed.

Well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more before Cavity Day.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Huh.  It's not that surprising it wasn't Gase...but O'Brien.  It's not a crime to go 0-3, when it was Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers.  OK, losing to the Vikes, that's not good.

Phil Simms was pointing out, this is probably culture and attitude...but also getting the guy in to support and groom DeShaun Watson.  They've been...I dunno if they've really been underachievers, but largely stuck in MediocreLand.  And this may also be the ownership transition firming up, and the new guy isn't as committed.

Well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more before Cavity Day.

I think it could have been: you can trade Hopkins, but you better make things pay off quick if you do.

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think it could have been: you can trade Hopkins, but you better make things pay off quick if you do.

And couple that with trading their top 2 picks, an 0-4 start is particularly ugly.    

So Baron Goodell hath issued new Pronouncements unto his fiefdom.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-stresses-new-covid-19-protocols-in-memo-says-violations-that-result-in-sched

IOW, Thou Shalt Not Interrupt The Revenue Stream or Thou Shalt Most Certainly Be Consigned Unto the Abyss!!!

And not only have the Titans had another positive test, and also held a rule-forbidden workout at a Nashville high school last week.

To put it bluntly, the league office is ticked off, although sanctions have not been announced. I'd be surprised if they get to play the Bills this weekend. There is even talk of an unprecedented move -- requiring the Titans to forfeit a game, which counts on their record as a loss.

9 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

And not only have the Titans had another positive test, and also held a rule-forbidden workout at a Nashville high school last week.

To put it bluntly, the league office is ticked off, although sanctions have not been announced. I'd be surprised if they get to play the Bills this weekend. There is even talk of an unprecedented move -- requiring the Titans to forfeit a game, which counts on their record as a loss.

Ticked off and terrified.  
Broncos-Pats delayed until Monday.  MESS.  Bills-Titans til Tuesday.  MESS.  Chiefs-Bills was gonna be the next TNF so it obviously has to be moved...which means there is no TNF next week.  BIG MESS!!

So the forfeit seems to be off the table *right now*...but if there's more cases with the Titans tomorrow or Saturday, forcing a further delay?  It might be the simplest answer to spank them hard with the forfeit.

14 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Ticked off and terrified.  
Broncos-Pats delayed until Monday.  MESS.  Bills-Titans til Tuesday.  MESS.  Chiefs-Bills was gonna be the next TNF so it obviously has to be moved...which means there is no TNF next week.  BIG MESS!!

So the forfeit seems to be off the table *right now*...but if there's more cases with the Titans tomorrow or Saturday, forcing a further delay?  It might be the simplest answer to spank them hard with the forfeit.

The modern NFL has never had a forfeit. I don't think anyone else in the Big Five Sports has had one either. It is indeed the NFL's Nuclear Option.