2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

It's been one of those weeks.  Bengals score to take the lead but let Baker march the Browns 75 yards with no TOs.

Badger:  I did specify right now.  The Cowboy defense is giving up a touchdown a game more.  The Dallas offense racked up yards and points in garbage time so its significance is highly questionable;  meanwhile, they led the league in TOs and were last in TO margin before today.  NOW against another bad team, they barely manage a single FG...IIRC it was a 45 yard kick after gaining all of 7 yards...average well under 3 yards a play.  So *that* side is gone.

So I'd have to still lean to saying the Cowboys are worse, but to be sure, it could be splitting hairs.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Ewwwwwwwww....Andy Dalton out after a terrible, illegal hit;  he was sliding, Jon Bostic dove in, leading with his head, and it was head to head contact.  Tossed from the game;  I would not be surprised if a suspension is coming.  

That hit was absolutely disgusting. I expect a suspension is coming. I expect that schmuck is going to be five or six figures lighter in his wallet before it's all done, too.

WOW!!!!!!!!  Talk about *inept* offense...

Pats ran all of 16 plays for a total of 60 yards in the first half.  2 punts, 2 TOs, 1 FG but they only needed 30 yards to get into position.  Can't blame this one on no practice time.  Meanwhile, the Niners have over 300 yards and a 3:1 (exactly!, how rare) time of possession edge.

Projection gives the Niners a 96% win probability, up 20 at half.  So if that holds...Pats will be at 2-4.  6 AFC teams are at 5-2 or better;  the only good thing for the Pats is, 3 of em are in the same division so there will be cannibalization there.  Still, if they can't come back, that's a significant hole they'll have dug.

OK, ok, wipe off all those crocodile tears......

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

It's been one of those weeks.  Bengals score to take the lead but let Baker march the Browns 75 yards with no TOs.

Badger:  I did specify right now.  The Cowboy defense is giving up a touchdown a game more.  The Dallas offense racked up yards and points in garbage time so its significance is highly questionable;  meanwhile, they led the league in TOs and were last in TO margin before today.  NOW against another bad team, they barely manage a single FG...IIRC it was a 45 yard kick after gaining all of 7 yards...average well under 3 yards a play.  So *that* side is gone.

So I'd have to still lean to saying the Cowboys are worse, but to be sure, it could be splitting hairs.

Well yeah post Andy Dalton

47 minutes ago, Badger said:

Well yeah post Andy Dalton

Dalton did nothing while he was in, so his loss isn't that impactful.  it's post Dak;  they had, at least in principle, a puncher's chance.  That's gone.

And remember, they got beaten down by *Washington*.  Not by a good team, or even a mediocre team.

Fantasy note:  the Cowboys defense/special teams are-9 through 7 games;  last year's *awful* Dolphins, who threatened to set a number of (negative) records on defense last year, were only -8.  (From one of the ESPN fantasy guys.)

EDIT:  Cam got yanked after another disastrous performance.  9/15 for under 100 yards and 3 picks.  Speculation already happening about whether he'll start next week.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Dalton did nothing while he was in, so his loss isn't that impactful.  it's post Dak;  they had, at least in principle, a puncher's chance.  That's gone.

And remember, they got beaten down by *Washington*.  Not by a good team, or even a mediocre team.

Fantasy note:  the Cowboys defense/special teams are-9 through 7 games;  last year's *awful* Dolphins, who threatened to set a number of (negative) records on defense last year, were only -8.  (From one of the ESPN fantasy guys.)

EDIT:  Cam got yanked after another disastrous performance.  9/15 for under 100 yards and 3 picks.  Speculation already happening about whether he'll start next week.

Well a patriot fan at work speculated that Stidham would be the #1 by years end. (Though I think Newton's fragility was a factor in his reasoning 

I also have to wonder if the Pats' locker room isn't buying into Cam.  He's...colorful, we know that.  When you're winning, that's fine;  when not, it can easily rub people the wrong way.

Report is that Belichick is sticking with Cam for next week, according to PFT.  But I suspect the best he can hope for is to last out the season;  he's only on a one-year deal, and this has not been the way to show You Still Have It.

EDIT:  oh, side note.  Saw Pariah's note about the weather at kickoff in Denver.

We were mid-80's today...and everyone is forecasting mid-40's for Tuesday.  For the high.  And guess who forgot to get the heating system inspection appointment set up until last week?  (I got one for Nov. 11th.  DOH!!!!)  

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Stat of the millenia.

Falcons have had win probabilities of 98.7, 99.6, and 99.9%.....and LOST...already this year.  (From SVP.)

The Falcons had 39 points and zero turnovers in their loss against the Cowboys. Before that game, teams were 440-0 when scoring 39 points with no turnovers since 1933, when turnovers were first tracked, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

12 hours ago, Starlord said:

The Falcons had 39 points and zero turnovers in their loss against the Cowboys. Before that game, teams were 440-0 when scoring 39 points with no turnovers since 1933, when turnovers were first tracked, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

Apropos of this and my comment earlier, a story on FiveThirtyEight just popped up today:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-bad-nfl-defenses-breaking-win-probability-models/

Speculative nerd-talk but...defenses are seives so often.  Cards' winning FG drive.  Browns' comeback TD drive.  The Lions.  All in the same week.

Not surprisingly, the Cowboys are ditching some seriously underperforming defensive players...one's been traded already, 2 more will be cut if not traded by COB today.  All 3 are 2020 offseason signings, I believe.  Long as they've got guys on the practice squad to move up, it makes sense.  Everson Griffen's in his 11th year;  his trajectory can only be down.  Dontari Poe is in his 9th;  he's been in on a total of 7 tackles.  Daryl Worley isn't old, but 1 pass defended...?  

Flip side of course is, this many really BAD individual performers also suggests that the defensive coaches are doing a bad job.

You say that until they do try the FG on the last play of the game and miss it...which has happened, even when it's a total chip shot.  That said, the probability of making the kick is likely higher than the probability that the Lions would get a TD in response.  Still, first things first:  you have to get the lead.  

What's so obscene to me is that happened *twice* on Sunday.  The Browns moved it 75 yards in under a minute, with no timeouts.  Separately, we also saw Kyler Murray do a very nice job of taking the soft middle yards, then getting the offense together for a quick spike...multiple times.  Maybe it's mostly lack of practice time, but end-of-game defense seems particularly bad this year.

...and now the aforementioned Falcons have the same number of wins as my Donkeys.

Atlanta actually looked fairly decent* in tonight's game. Carolina looked okay, I guess, considering they have no offensive line at all. Gonna be a long season for Teddy Bridgewater. Or a really short one, if they can't protect him better than that.

--

*In terms of their play, anyway. Their uniforms still look like something from the Arena League. But they no longer have that weird thing on the sleeves, which I guess is an improvement.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

*In terms of their play, anyway. Their uniforms still look like something from the Arena League. But they no longer have that weird thing on the sleeves, which I guess is an improvement.

I'm just happy they got rid of that stupid digital font for the numbers.  Now their unis actually look okay.  I've had to redirect my hatred to the Rams' stupid gradient numbers.

Atlanta definitely looked a lot better overall.  My takeaways...

--Atlanta's best move all year was ditching Dan Quinn.  

--Carolina's best move will be to ditch at least their OC.  Did they EVER make adjustments to what Atlanta was doing?  The 4th down plays were like...hey, are we watching the Astros stealing signs???  Cuz the plays were dead in the water.  You've got first-time NFL coaches at HC and OC;  this isn't great.  The OC also wasn't even an OC in college;  he was LSU's passing game coordinator.  I don't remember specifics, but I do vaguely recall a couple occasions where the Carolina coaching staff made rookie mistakes.

Upcoming games of note...Pats have effectively a must-win against the Bills.  If they can't win it, they'd be down 3 in the loss column, and 2-5 overall.  Bills are slight favorites.  Unlike KC...when's the last time you saw a 21 point favorite??  Some of the sports books have KC that big;  smallest is 19 1/2.  How bad are the Cowboys considered to be?  Eagles are -11.  Baltimore and Pitt...Seattle and Niners.  Those are probably the most interesting matchups....

Jon Bostic only gets fined $12K for the Dalton hit?

LAME.  PFT offers a possible explanantion tho:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/31/jon-bostic-fined-only-12000-for-hit-that-knocked-out-andy-dalton/

Others are saying...if this was Mahomes or (God forbid) Brady, he'd be looking forward to training camp.  OK, I exaggerate.  A little.