2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

With 4 minutes left in the Sunday Night Farce, the teams have currently combined for exactly 400 yards.

EDIT:  well, that's a first.  Cowboys have a 4th and 17 very deep in their own territory;  they take an intentional safety....to try an onside kick.  Interesting.  It didn't work but it was pretty close.  And it's not like you'll make a 4th and 17...with the Cowboys inoffensiveness especially.

Note to self:  check the line on the playoff game;  whoever gets the 5 seed from the NFC is probably going to be pretty darn good, so whoever manages to be the home team is likely to be the biggest home playoff dog *ever*.

40 minutes ago, Badger said:

Didn't the NFC West have a 6 win, 7 win team win the division once. Granted I think 3 of the teams were within 1 game, so it wasn't completely horrifying.

Note: i think young Sam Bradford was involved.

Seattle was 7-9 that year, IIRC.  But 7 wins will be a runaway for the NFC East.  And recognize, it's even worse;  the 4 teams are a combined 2-15-1 outside their division.  And one of em was the absurd Atlanta collapse against Dallas.  Altho this year, it seemingly happens every week...Chargers blew a 21 point second half lead against Denver today.  The other win was the Eagles over the Niners without Jimmy G...but they're unreliable with him.  

And if you watched that game...how was it a contest?  We know the Cowboys are just flat-out bad right now, but what does that say about the Eagles?  BARELY 200 yards against a horrific Cowboy defense that was giving up almost 35 a game.  But when your passing attack has the 3rd worst YPA in the league, well, you make the Dallas defense almost look competent.  This was one of the most inept attempts at offensive football...on a good field, let's just forget snow games or swamp games...I've ever seen.  Dallas ran 79 plays...and only broke 250 yards due to that last drive that hadda make some Philly bettors worried.  (The line was Eagles -10.5.)  But it was otherwise meaningless.  Dallas was last in the league in takeaways...the bumbling Eagles gave em 4.  

The 5 side is gonna probably be Saints, Bucs, Cards, Rams, Bears, or possibly Packers (but I think they'll win that division).  And to get the 5 spot they'll have to probably raise their level in the second half of the season.  At this point, with what we're seeing...any of the East teams is gonna be at least a 10 point dog at home to any of those, IMO.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Didn't the NFC West have a 6 win, 7 win team win the division once. Granted I think 3 of the teams were within 1 game, so it wasn't completely horrifying.

Note: i think young Sam Bradford was involved.

It's hard to imagine Sam Bradford made it all the way to the end of a season and was still healthy.

I saw an article a few minutes ago pointing out that the Broncos are now 3-4, with their four losses coming to teams that are currently in first place in their division: the Titans, the Steelers, the Buccaneers, and the Chiefs.

Of course, their three wins are against the Jets, the Patriots, and the Chargers.

Conclusion: there's really no way to tell how good the Broncos might actually be right now.

I am of the opinion that anyone who plays fantasy sports, particularly in this insane year, is a masochist.  Whether they're more of a masochist than someone who bets Unders regularly isn't clear;  probably on par.  (Yes, I love SVP's Bad Beats segment, especially with unders.)

Then again, I liked playing the tournament challenge for a number of years, until it became almost the equivalent of Blindfold Darts.  So I do understand dancing the Masochism Tango.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

If you're a Niners fan...oops.

Season's over, pretty much.  Garoppolo is out a minimum of 6 weeks, Kittle at least 8.  Next 4 weeks are Packers, Saints, Rams, Bills.

Make it nine, and it's "rest of the season", which frankly is probably better to think so there's no chance of trying to come back too soon and re-injuring in a meaningless game.  Which aside from the "meaningless" part is what happened to Garoppolo, really.

6 hours ago, Old Man said:

Nooo that means I'm going to lose to Jeff!  I needed 27 points out of the Bucs D!  Which is basically impossible!

'My guys' always step up their game for this one every year.  We had a good pep talk at halftime and I drew up an excellent change of strategy to take advantage of your weaknesses.

Also, Patrick Mahomes scoring 37 pts helped, too.  :)

The Bucs pulled it out by two points. Which indicates that they may be turning into a truly special football team.

Tom Brady is certianly telling the naysayers (who included myself) that he's not done. Of course, it helps that the Bucs assembled a lot of weapons around him.

I wouldn't sleep on the Eagles, though. This year's playoffs will be a crapshoot even more than usual, and the Eagles have a good chance of getting in as NFC Least champions. Once they're in, who knows what will happen in this crazy, mixed-up year.

Bucs-Saints this year could be epic. Two warriors who are determined to show that their twilight is better than everyone else's mid-day, with solid teams around them. The only shame is that Chris Collingwood is calling the game and not Tony Romo.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Pretty sure it was the only one.

Bradford started all 16 games of his rookie year in 2010.  I think the year we're talking about was 2012.  He did start every game;  the team went 7-8-1.  And that was the St. Louis Rams, so the division's right.  Plus, according to wiki, this is the year after his first big, lasting injury, a high ankle sprain.  (Hello, Jimmy G.)  He wasn't right even when he was playing in 2011.

2013 is when things went totally south...torn ACL, aggravated in 2014.  He played 14 and 15 games the next 2 years, so there weren't *major* injuries.  Did you know...he got traded for...Nick Foles.  My, my.  But, that was about it.  2016, the injured knee pretty much had worn out, and he was gone before he turned 30.  Mind, his last contract with the Cards had $15M guaranteed, so, ya can't feel too bad that he got released 5 days before his 30th birthday.  How To LOSE Consistently...sign a seriously beat up, middle aged QB to a major contract that's mostly guaranteed.  AFTER said QB only played 2 games the year before due to injury.  Wiki says "considered one of the worst free agent signings of the 2010s." 

7 hours ago, archer said:

The NFL fines the Raiders $500,000 and strips them of a sixth-round draft choice for violations of the league's coronavirus protocols. Raiders Coach Jon Gruden is being fined $150,000.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/NFL-fines-strips-Raiders-of-draft-pick-for-15706297.php

GOOD.  Not that it's anyone in particular but that the league is being serious.  I think at this point, the league will work through even a Miami Marlins or St. Louis Cardinals situation...if a team can't play 3 games, well, do the week 18 thing and cope.  If it's 1 team, it'll be manageable.  That doesn't mean it'll be pretty or desirable, so smacking down teams that break covid discipline is essential.  

EDIT:  Tomlin fined $100K, the Steelers $250K for on-field mask violations.
But with the number of teams that've temporarily stopped practice and shut down facilities...I still loath the words "out of an abundance of caution"...ya got to.  I'll grant it's hard to change longstanding habits and masks are bloody annoying...but ya gotta do it.