Jump to content

2020-2021 NFL Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not even Coronavirus can stop the NFL!   So the Cardinals fleece the Texans for maybe the best WR in football, while Vikings get a 1st rounder for Stephon Diggs who is good, but not even the

If the Browns are actually doing well, then #2 is DEFINITELY happening....

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

Four teams play tomorrow.  Ravens-Steelers has been postponed to Saturday or Sunday because covid.

 

Steelers were going to have fans at the game;  a ban kicks in *Friday* on outdoor gatherings.  Yeah, well, I call it karma.

 

Ravens will have 7 players out.  The offense isn't clicking that well to begin with, so...this is not encouraging for their chances.

 

EDIT:  oh, and I find it entirely apropos that NBC replaced the game tomorrow night with a dog show.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I saw the score in Turkey Bowl round 2...looked at the box.

 

What...?

 

Did they...???

 

Good googly moogly.  Is McCarthy TRYING to get fired?  4th and 10 fake punt inside your OWN 25?  With 13 minutes left and only down 4?????

 

THEN run it as a freaking end around, putting the WR WAY in the backfield and giving the defense TONS of time to react.  

 

I'll concede win probability has issues, but still, it's useful in a broad sense.  Figure that the 4th and 10...punting the ball back wouldn't change the win probability.  Faking the punt and succeeding has to work BIG...like, midfield, probably...to seriously raise the winning chance.  Not making it immediately dropped their win chance QUITE a bit...and obviously the touchdown (way, way too likely) pretty much ended it.

 

TERRIBLE choice, worse execution.  

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-east/dallas-cowboys/look-jerry-jones-reaction-thanksgiving-loss

 

Among MANY others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Lamar Jackson is out for the Ravens, which means 8 starters are out due to Covid.

 

Their practice facility is closed until Monday as a result, according to Adam Schefter, and that of course would seem to mean the game can't be played.  No statement so far.  Whatever the league does, seems to be a mess.  Play?  Ravens will be massively undermanned and poorly prepared.  My gut expects the league to say postponed, MAY be played in week 18 , but that's TBD.  If there are several such games, then maybe they mess around with the week 18 games.  If not, then perhaps the game's just declared a no-contest.  THAT, tho, raises the specter that the game result might be very significant for making the playoffs.  And if the Steelers have the #1 seed, and the Ravens are out, then the game can be cancelled with no real repercussions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, unclevlad said:

So I saw the score in Turkey Bowl round 2...looked at the box.

 

What...?

 

Did they...???

 

Good googly moogly.  Is McCarthy TRYING to get fired?  4th and 10 fake punt inside your OWN 25?  With 13 minutes left and only down 4?????

 

THEN run it as a freaking end around, putting the WR WAY in the backfield and giving the defense TONS of time to react.  

 

I'll concede win probability has issues, but still, it's useful in a broad sense.  Figure that the 4th and 10...punting the ball back wouldn't change the win probability.  Faking the punt and succeeding has to work BIG...like, midfield, probably...to seriously raise the winning chance.  Not making it immediately dropped their win chance QUITE a bit...and obviously the touchdown (way, way too likely) pretty much ended it.

 

TERRIBLE choice, worse execution.  

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-east/dallas-cowboys/look-jerry-jones-reaction-thanksgiving-loss

 

Among MANY others.

 

Here's the video of the play in question:

 

 

I think we can all agree that this typifies not just the Dallas Cowboys, but the entire NFC East, in 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3rd time's the charm?

 

Ravens-Steelers NOW scheduled for Tuesday night.  Which means Ravens-Cowboys gets dumped out of TNF to late Monday afternoon kick (5 ET).

 

Lamar Jackson's clearly out against the Steelers;  I think it's close if he might make it back for Dallas.  But with, what, 8 starters out, the game against the Steelers is almost a lost cause...and if they can't get the starters back, the game against the Cowboys becomes something of a toss-up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprisingly, after getting taken behind the woodshed by another just mediocre team overall...at home, on a featured national broadcast no less...the Lions fired both HC and GM.  FiveThirtyEight rates them as 5th worst team in the NFL, virtually tied with the Cowboys, with the Jags a bit behind, then the chasm before finally sinking all the way down to the Jets and Bengals.  In that order;  the Bengals are rated lower because Burrow is out.  (Indicative:  the Giants are -6 against them today.  The *Giants*.)

 

Looks like Dan Quinn is probably the most likely next coach to be fired before the end of the year, if anyone does.  You could say Gase but if they haven't canned him before this, you have to think they won't do it during the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The league has to be getting really worried.

 

--Denver has no QBs who can play tomorrow;  all 3 are on the Covid list for testing or contacts.  If no one gets cleared tomorrow, you would think the game can't be played, at least Sunday.  

--AND, the league has directed all facilities to be closed Monday and Tuesday;  the plan is to try to catch any cases picked up from Thanksgiving activities.  Games don't count.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2020 at 10:51 PM, unclevlad said:

So Lamar Jackson is out for the Ravens, which means 8 starters are out due to Covid.

 

Their practice facility is closed until Monday as a result, according to Adam Schefter, and that of course would seem to mean the game can't be played.  No statement so far.  Whatever the league does, seems to be a mess.  Play?  Ravens will be massively undermanned and poorly prepared.  My gut expects the league to say postponed, MAY be played in week 18 , but that's TBD.  If there are several such games, then maybe they mess around with the week 18 games.  If not, then perhaps the game's just declared a no-contest.  THAT, tho, raises the specter that the game result might be very significant for making the playoffs.  And if the Steelers have the #1 seed, and the Ravens are out, then the game can be cancelled with no real repercussions.

The undermanned, does make me think, too bad.  But, then there is a danger of the other team getting contagion and possible unnecessary injuries to the clean Raven players, if enough players cant be scavenged off the practice squad.

 

 

 

23 hours ago, unclevlad said:

3rd time's the charm?

 

Ravens-Steelers NOW scheduled for Tuesday night.  Which means Ravens-Cowboys gets dumped out of TNF to late Monday afternoon kick (5 ET).

 

Lamar Jackson's clearly out against the Steelers;  I think it's close if he might make it back for Dallas.  But with, what, 8 starters out, the game against the Steelers is almost a lost cause...and if they can't get the starters back, the game against the Cowboys becomes something of a toss-up.

Sort of good news for the Cowboys to get extra rest.

 

If the team wasn't a complete FUBAR at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Pariah said:

 

...or any other day, apparently. 

 

There is a difference between playing, and playing competently.  The league isn't concerned with the latter, only the former.

 

Oh yeah, and I forgot to note...local rule in the county is no contact sports, trying to prevent the spread.  Also impacts Stanford.  If things get uglier with the feared post-Thanksgiving surge, local restrictions like this could easily pop up in many areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Right now Denver’s QBs for tomorrow would be WR Kendall Hinton and/or RB Royce Freeman. 

 

I wonder if Vegas has taken this game off the board....

 

EDIT:  nope.  Line went from Saints -5.5 to Saints -14.5...one of the biggest spreads of the year.  Over/under went from 45.5 to 36.5...and the writer suggested the under at that, which I think is right.  I don't think there will be many plays;  the Broncos will seemingly have to try to run the ball, ergo, darn near running clock as long as they have the ball.  I'm thinking something like 23-6...which is comfortably under.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Right now Denver’s QBs for tomorrow would be WR Kendall Hinton and/or RB Royce Freeman. 

 

If I recall correctly, this will make the tenth starting quarterback the Broncos have had since Peyton Manning retired 4 1/2 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...