2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Ravens-Steelers has been postponed again to Wednesday, amid rumors that Ravens players are refusing to play.

Adam Shefter just said he talked to a player who didn't want to get onto the plane, which is pretty much the same point.  With as many positive cases, darn straight.

And yeah, ok, there's the opt-out, but at this point?  The optics are terrible *this late* into the season.

The whole situation with the Raves-Steelers game has now passed far beyond ridiculous, IMO.  I don't disagree that the Bronco game could have, and probably should have, not been played...but there are 18 Ravens players who've tested positive.  Cripes, that hammers the 53 man roster down to 35.  This could make the Saints win look like a nail-biter;  I wouldn't be all that surprised if its 31-0 at the half, honestly.  IF it gets played.

This game should be cancelled, but the league seems dug in:  THE GAMES WILL GO ON!

The league should give EVERYONE a week off to recover, re-test as needed, and get their protocols back in order.

They're not going to do it with that much money at stake. And it would not surprise me if there was a push to put fans in the stands at the Super Bowl, which if Covid projections hold would be a folly at best.

And yes, I do think Ravens and Steelers should be called off. these continual pushbacks are worse for the league than calling it off.

If they do move Week 13 forward to the next weekend and alter the other parts of the schedule accordingly, would the Super Bowl still be on time?

They won't move a weekend.  They won't introduce a gap week.  Not a chance in...that place.  Zip.  Nada.  

The reschedule is already announced;  Washington-Pitt went to Monday;  Ravens-Cowboys is Tuesday.

Moving the Super Bowl is the absolute NIGHTMARE.  The absolute, complete, worst case sort of cancelling it...they might move it, if the local area's outbreak becomes too severe.  That's possible.  But it's blatant now that the #1 priority is to get a result for every game, while holding to the schedule generally.

Mmm...a parallel nightmare is, a team has a very large outbreak a la the Ravens, while in the playoffs...the later, of course, the worse, but any time after the first-round games are played is VERY bad.  One of the guys on NFL Live posited that the importance of the Ravens-Steelers matchup was why they first shifted it.  They *did not* want a lousy game on Thanksgiving night *at all*.  So figure how much worse it would be if it was a playoff game.  Since then, it's been "we will do ANYTHING to try to get the game in" as the outbreak in Baltimore has spiraled.  

I concede the point that the NFL looks ridiculous making all these delays, tho.  But they're intransigent.  Booger McFarland twice commended the league and NFLPA for getting all the games in;  that's pretty much a mindless platitude that fails to consider issues like the Denver game.  Then again, he's an ex-player so he's inclined to read the situation that way.

The closer we get to the end of the season, the harder it will be to work around these issues.  Teams will have already had their bye weeks, or been subjected to multiple reschedulings already.  And then there are situations like the 49ers, who will be playing their home games in Arizona for the rest of the season.

I honestly don't think we've seen the worst of the impact of the pandemic on the NFL schedule yet.  I'm surprised we made it to week 12.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Some guy is apparently trying to jinx the Cleveland Browns.

NFL Power Rankings: This is not a drill, Browns are going to playoffs (unless they screw it up)

Wellll...

If the Steelers beat the massively depleted Ravens, as everyone expects (the line's Steelers -10.5, and I'd still bet the Steelers), then they're 6-5 and tied with the Raiders for the 8 spot.  The Browns still have games against the Giants and the Jets;  one they should win easily, and the Jets are...the Jets.  So that's 10 wins.  Other games are Titans, Ravens (probably AFTER they get everyone back) and Steelers in week 17.  This *could* be a big game...or a nothing game for the Steelers.  Assuming they win the 2 they need to win, then beating the either the Ravens or Titans should give them a lock.

An interesting aspect, when it gets down to this, is that wild card seeding will be interesting.  You definitely do NOT!!! want the 7 seed;  that's shipping you off to either Pittsburgh or KC, and, well, a near-certain short stay.  Not quite as amusing as the NFC, of course, where if the choice is the 2 seed or the 5 seed...I want the 5 seed.

The Broncos activated Lock, Rypion, and Bortles from the COVID list today.

Meaning, of course, that if the league had given the Broncos the same accommodation they gave the Ravens, they could have played tonight.

But then the Broncos would have felt accommodated and not punished, and we certainly can't have that.

13 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Meaning, of course, that if the league had given the Broncos the same accommodation they gave the Ravens, they could have played tonight.

But then the Broncos would have felt accommodated and not punished, and we certainly can't have that.

Broncos got what they deserved.

Ravens?  Debatable.  If they broke protocol, they deserve a major fine and loss of a draft pick...like, 2nd or 3rd round.

They're STILL showing new positive tests, tho.  So one has to ask:  if the game had been played before this, how much would the *Steelers* been at risk?  And obviously they don't deserve that.

Part of the problem is the policies;  part of it is the intransigence to forfeit, and some of that is the debatable policy choice to not pay players in the event a game's cancelled.  To be sure, that policy could get complex, but it should've been manageable.  

Much of it is contracts, tho.  Media contracts.  The power of the media is clear tomorrow:  the game's being played at the incredibly odd time of 3:40 local.  Why not later?  NBC has the tree lighting ceremony at Rockefeller Center.  THEY set the priorities here.  I figure a lot of this is that they've got a lot more leverage because of the multiple shifts, but still, it's remarkable.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

The Ravens still won't have Lamar tomorrow.  RGIII is... probably somewhat better at QB than a practice squad WR.

Yeah, before this year, there was a game delayed due to heavy snow in Philly and played on a Tuesday;  got to go back to the dark ages to find another.  Pre-live TV.  But this is a first today.

And hopefully the last.  I doubt anyone wants to repeat this circus.  One of the NYT writers used that word, even, in talking about things.  Only Seattle hasn't been hit.  The Bronco mess.  The total mess of the game today.  San Francisco is talking about playing in Phoenix...which actually has a HIGHER per capita case rate.  (Almost 50% higher.)  The writer advocates just ending the season, but things would have to get much worse before they'll do that.  Not this far in.  

I wish I'd bet this weekend.  Miami to cover:  check.  Take the Under (Mia/Den):  check.  Steelers to cover:  argh.  I'm reminded of the Broncos-Ravens playoff game in Denver where the cornerback blew it and gave, what, either the tying or winning TD in the last seconds.  Take the under (Ravens/Steelers):  check.

So 3 out of 4.

21 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Broncos got what they deserved.

Ravens?  Debatable.  If they broke protocol, they deserve a major fine and loss of a draft pick...like, 2nd or 3rd round.

They're STILL showing new positive tests, tho.  So one has to ask:  if the game had been played before this, how much would the *Steelers* been at risk?  And obviously they don't deserve that.

Part of the problem is the policies;  part of it is the intransigence to forfeit, and some of that is the debatable policy choice to not pay players in the event a game's cancelled.  To be sure, that policy could get complex, but it should've been manageable.  

Much of it is contracts, tho.  Media contracts.  The power of the media is clear tomorrow:  the game's being played at the incredibly odd time of 3:40 local.  Why not later?  NBC has the tree lighting ceremony at Rockefeller Center.  THEY set the priorities here.  I figure a lot of this is that they've got a lot more leverage because of the multiple shifts, but still, it's remarkable.

Despite, my harping, the Broncos did deserve it.

Unfortunately the 10 others this year, including the current Ravens situation, they were let off easy.  But, most of these have better playoff aspirations. So, that downtrodden team was perfect choice to courageously drop the hammer on.

What probably should have been done all year, you cant, you got X days to get your crap together or you forfeit. The Broncos may or may not have qualified, but at least we should have had a solid damn rule.

So Adam Gase has just basically signed his own pink slip.  Reported by ESPN:

"I came here to help him, help him develop his career, and we haven't been able to do that," said Gase, who is 7-20 and has presided over the NFL's worst offense for the better part of two seasons.

Hint to ownership:  there is now NO reason to keep him the rest of this season.  (If there was any before, that is.)

Is Gregg Williams accentuating the tank, or is he just a moron?  Send *8* on a 3rd and 10 at the 40? With 2 rookie corners????  And the rushers looked tired;  they were getting nowhere close.

A move like that means Williams should get fired tonight, IMO.  Icing on the ongoing cake:  353 points allowed through 12 games.  Then this.  Let the head roll.  Now.  Fine, axe Gase at the end of the season, but either way you care to answer my question above, Williams needs to go NOW to at least offer a fig leaf to the players that the organization cares about winning.  The Jets have played competitive ball;  they SHOULD have won this game.  Not firing Williams at this point...well, the Jets' organization is, I suspect, regarded as one of the worst in US major pro sports, but you have to start reversing this *somewhere*.  

Is Carson Wentz done in Philly?

Saints get the first playoff berth, but that was just the vagaries of scheduling.  Steelers can also clinch with a win.  Chiefs may clinch;  at the least they'd be dormie for the division, but the obvious tiebreakers (head to head, division) with the Raiders aren't clear.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Is Gregg Williams accentuating the tank, or is he just a moron?  Send *8* on a 3rd and 10 at the 40? With 2 rookie corners????  And the rushers looked tired;  they were getting nowhere close.

I have a hard time believing Gregg Williams is a moron.  He might have gotten too cute with the call, but Carr's throwing from midfield and ordinarily he's not great under pressure.

Or they might be tanking, which they might as well do at this point.

Is Carson Wentz done in Philly?

He sure looked like it.  He's become too hesitant to throw, probably because his receivers are all hurt and/or third stringers.  Hurts was much better at moving the sticks when he came in, up until that last pick.

Saints get the first playoff berth, but that was just the vagaries of scheduling.  Steelers can also clinch with a win.  Chiefs may clinch;  at the least they'd be dormie for the division, but the obvious tiebreakers (head to head, division) with the Raiders aren't clear.

It's too early for most of that to shake out yet, I think.