2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

2 hours ago, Enforcer84 said:

Remember when Genius John Gruden traded away a generational defensive talent for draft picks and everyone was like "well who's doing the drafting?"

Good defense there RayRays.

Apropos of this, the Raiders have just canned their DC.  Obviously Chuckie was as impressed as you were.

So just how real are the Bills this year?  OK, I can maybe argue the Steelers are still suffering a bit from the schedule, but still, impressive win.  Division is almost in the bag, and now the #2 seed is plausible.

5 AFC teams have been eliminated already, despite the 7th team making the playoffs.  By contrast, the only NFC team eliminated is the Falcons, because the 7 spot is currently a tie between the Vikes and Bears at 6-7.  (And, of course, the NFC East.)

I'm also talking about whether the Browns have a legit chance to win a playoff game or two.  7 of their wins have been against bad teams...3 vs. the NFC East, Bengals twice, Texans, and Jags.  The 2 good wins are Indy and Tennessee.  They should make the playoffs;  they have the Jets for as close to a lock as you can get right now, and the Giants are a team they need to beat.  This isn't the lock it would've been, but they are favored by 3 to 4 points.  That's 11 wins prior to week 17 against the Steelers.  That should get them in.  

And the fact that they've already beaten whoever wins the AFC South does say they can win one.  I don't see two, but one never knows.  Particularly this year;  every year has some teams that start slow and improve, or start fast before vanishing...but this year, that almost seems to be the story of the entire league.  That, and the inability of defenses to get stops in 4th quarters....

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

They'll probably win as many playoff games as Cincinnati has over the last, what, fifteen years?

How quickly they forget.

2011-2015:  won 9, 10, 11, 10, and 12.  In the playoffs all 5 years.  Lost in the WC round each time.  Even 16-18, they went 6-9-1, 7-9, 6-10.  Not good, but not horrible.  They and the Lions were quite similar;  each one had the puncher's chance with big-arm QBs.  

The Browns were the worst team of the 2010s...not surprising.  Next worst is actually Jacksonville, then Tampa Bay, Washington, Raiders, Jets.

And therefore, in The Year Everything Went Upside Down...the Browns and Bucs are in strong positions to make the playoffs.  While the Pats won't.  
Stop smirking there, Pariah....

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

How quickly they forget.

2011-2015:  won 9, 10, 11, 10, and 12.  In the playoffs all 5 years.  Lost in the WC round each time.  Even 16-18, they went 6-9-1, 7-9, 6-10.  Not good, but not horrible.  They and the Lions were quite similar;  each one had the puncher's chance with big-arm QBs.  

The Browns were the worst team of the 2010s...not surprising.  Next worst is actually Jacksonville, then Tampa Bay, Washington, Raiders, Jets.

And therefore, in The Year Everything Went Upside Down...the Browns and Bucs are in strong positions to make the playoffs.  While the Pats won't.  
Stop smirking there, Pariah....

So basically what you’re saying is, Cincinnati has no playoff wins in the last 15 years...

14 hours ago, Starlord said:

I think it's closer to 30.  :(:(:cry::cry:

This year makes #30.

Bengals may well have been the worst team in football in the 90s.  From 91-02, 12 seasons...8-8 once, but worse, the overall record was 55-137.  Went through 3 different HCs, but with a record like that, for THAT long, it's not surprising.  Marvin Lewis actually had a decent overall record...over .500 during his 16 years.  But 7 first-round eliminations, and a general sense of a team going nowhere.  I don't recall if he had a rap like Jeff Fischer, as a coach who played not to lose, but his teams were rarely top echelon, IIRC.

Derek Carr pulls up as he's running OB;  cameras show him heading into the locker room, so probably out for at least a bit.

Chargers have the ball now.  Camera shows Marcus Mariota, NOT warming up yet.  Joe Buck's comment:  "Well he's seen the Raider defense all season, so he knows he has time.  No rush."

Ohhhhhhh the burn.....................

4 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Derek Carr pulls up as he's running OB;  cameras show him heading into the locker room, so probably out for at least a bit.

Chargers have the ball now.  Camera shows Marcus Mariota, NOT warming up yet.  Joe Buck's comment:  "Well he's seen the Raider defense all season, so he knows he has time.  No rush."

Ohhhhhhh the burn.....................

Who would have thought trading away a generational talent at DE would adversely affect the defense?

Wow.

This game has been an incredible, extended example of Why We Can't Win Games by both teams.

Or if you're feeling generous, one can say, this is team sports in the Age of Covid, where the only consistency is inconsistency, and the Next Great American Novel is the league's injury/inactive lists each week.

EDIT:  Annnddd....the Raiders' playoff chances have pretty much evaporated.  They need a LOT of help.  They may be able to catch Miami;  they play each other next week, then the Fins have to play Buffalo.  But the Ravens are 8-5, with the Jags and Bengals..................  Tenn, Indy, and Cleveland have 9 wins, so the Raiders could only get into a tie-breaker with em if they lose out.

My, my.  Isn't that horrible....

After this Saturday's game with Buffalo--which is probably a loss, but they just beat the Panthers on the road, so who knows?--the Broncos' final two games are against the Chargers and the Raiders.

Based on tonight's game, if I'm Drew Lock and I'm getting ready to play the Raiders, there's one thought foremost in my mind: I'm gonna throw the ball at #27. All. Freakin'. Night. 

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

After this Saturday's game with Buffalo--which is probably a loss, but they just beat the Panthers on the road, so who knows?--the Broncos' final two games are against the Chargers and the Raiders.

Based on tonight's game, if I'm Drew Lock and I'm getting ready to play the Raiders, there's one thought foremost in my mind: I'm gonna throw the ball at #27. All. Freakin'. Night. 

The kid was outmatched, wasn't he?

Raiders just left way too many *gaping* holes in the pass game.  Herbert had no trouble at all reading the pass defenses.  314 yards, and that doesn't count the 4 interference calls.

Whose brilliant idea was it to schedule a night game in Green Bay, 2 days before winter solstice?  Not gonna be an ice bowl game, just 30 degrees and fog.  Joy...

11 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Wow.

This game has been an incredible, extended example of Why We Can't Win Games by both teams.

Or if you're feeling generous, one can say, this is team sports in the Age of Covid, where the only consistency is inconsistency, and the Next Great American Novel is the league's injury/inactive lists each week.

EDIT:  Annnddd....the Raiders' playoff chances have pretty much evaporated.  They need a LOT of help.  They may be able to catch Miami;  they play each other next week, then the Fins have to play Buffalo.  But the Ravens are 8-5, with the Jags and Bengals..................  Tenn, Indy, and Cleveland have 9 wins, so the Raiders could only get into a tie-breaker with em if they lose out.

My, my.  Isn't that horrible....

The Raiders were already on the outside looking in after losing to the Colts last week. Good thing they traded Khalil Mack away for magic be— I mean, draft picks. 

6 minutes ago, Old Man said:

The Raiders were already on the outside looking in after losing to the Colts last week. Good thing they traded Khalil Mack away for magic be— I mean, draft picks. 

There's a lot of things that can be going on there, so...fine, they did it.

And yes, they were in the 9 spot, but not a bad position with a game against Miami.  Had they won out, I think the only help would've been a Baltimore loss because I think the Raiders had the tie breaker (fewer conference losses).  And of course, the schedule's running out.  There's just not much time for good things to happen.  And being the Raiders, well, we know which of Santa's Lists THEY'RE on....

11 hours ago, Old Man said:

It was the reverse, of what a James Harden trade will inevitably, which, selling away your future for a walking tumor.