2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

After the strip-sack touchdown, one of the commentators mentioned that the Broncos are the only team in the NFL with a turnover in every game this season. Ouch.

And yeah, it sucked watching the Broncos get blown out again, especially since it guaranteed the team's fourth consecutive losing season, a streak not seen since the Nixon administration. But losing to the Bills guaranteed that the Patriots weren't going to win the division for the first time in forever, and that softens the blow a bit. 

The season ends with winnable games against the Chargers and the Raiders, so the Donkeys might just be able to match their 7-9 record from last season. Woo-hoo. 

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

The season ends with winnable games against the Chargers and the Raiders, so the Donkeys might just be able to match their 7-9 record from last season. Woo-hoo. 

Or in other words, stuck on Steeler's Wheel.

Clowns to the left of me!
Jokers to the right!
Here I am stuck in the middle with you.
Yes I'm stuck in the middle with you,
And I'm wondering what it is I should do.

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

After the strip-sack touchdown, one of the commentators mentioned that the Broncos are the only team in the NFL with a turnover in every game this season. Ouch.

And yeah, it sucked watching the Broncos get blown out again, especially since it guaranteed the team's fourth consecutive losing season, a streak not seen since the Nixon administration. But losing to the Bills guaranteed that the Patriots weren't going to win the division for the first time in forever, and that softens the blow a bit. 

Make sure the Chargers take the early lead, easier to beat them that way.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

The Browns...

...have wins...

...in double-digits...

:blink:

And could still miss the playoffs.

Even more tragically, the 9-5 Dolphins are kind of a long shot to make the postseason.

Yet, in a clear indication that the end of the world is nigh, the Bills, Browns, and Dolphins are all in the thick of the playoff race, and even the Derps have not yet been mathematically eliminated.

Bills aren't in the race, cuz they're in the playoffs. 

Browns have the advantage of playing the Jets...and shouldn't take them lightly as one suspects a certain southern California embarrassment did.  If they win, they're in if the Colts lose (to the Steelers) because they have the tie breaker there.  They're in if the Fins or Ravens don't win, as that'd guarantee the better record.  Fins play Raiders;  Ravens play Giants.  Raiders are actually 2 point favorites.  Not sure about them tho.  Giants gave it a go there for a bit, but I think injuries have killed them.

A 4-way WC tie is quite possible.  Ravens should take their last 2;  Browns, Colts, and TN could easily split them.  If the Dolphins can get past the Raiders trying to stay alive, their last game is Buffalo, which is likely to be mostly meaningless to the Bills.  That puts all 5 at 11-5, and one becomes odd man out.  

The NFC picture has more differentiation.  The cornerstone team here is probably the Rams.  That was a VERY costly loss because their last 2 are Seahawks and Cards...and that latter may well be an elimination game.  Arizona has the Niners;  Bears have the Jags.  They're both favored, as is Seattle.  If all 3 favorites win, Seattle wins the division;  Rams and Cards are tied at 9-6, Bears would be 8-7.  Tampa Bay has Detroit in week 16;  they'll probably win that and go to 10-5 and clinch at that point.  So the loser of Rams-Cards could end up in a tie with the Bears for the last spot, but the Bears do have the Packers in week 17, and the #1 seed will probably be on the line for GB.

16 minutes ago, Cancer said:

The Seahawks haven't had a solid win over the Rams since Jeff Fisher was canned.  They've won two and lost five (IIRC) in the interval, both wins happening in the final seconds.

Fortunately they've already clinched a playoff spot.  Still, life would be much easier if they could win the division rather than settle for a WC spot.

And the second week in the NFC is less important.

Talk about Not Selling Your Own Game:  MNF people picking the Steelers-Bengals mismatch...the *closest* pick was 31-10 Steelers.  Steve Young went with 28-3, Randy Moss went out on a limb with 42-9, Booger just said "by a lot"...basically, Steelers can pick the score.

It's seriously rare, to my admittedly imperfect memory, that picks *blow through* the line on the high side.  The line's bad enough, at -14.5.  But hey, the Bengals are the lowest-rated team over at FiveThirtyEight *by a lot*.  And I think the Steelers need to get back to business, so something like 34-6 sounds about right.

Well, I've got 2 new books to read, and a third coming out Wednesday...

Wow, looking at this game so far, it looks for all the world like one team can clinch the division tonight and the other has two wins on the season. But Pittsburgh certainly doesn't look like a playoff team so far, and Cincinnati looks like a world-beater. Holy cow.

5 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Wow, looking at this game so far, it looks for all the world like one team can clinch the division tonight and the other has two wins on the season. But Pittsburgh certainly doesn't look like a playoff team so far, and Cincinnati looks like a world-beater. Holy cow.

We have proof that astrology is, in fact, legitimate.  The conjunction has cursed the Steelers.  

More seriously, Steeler fans should be panicking.  This has been in the top 5, most atrocious halfs played.  Right up there with some of the Atlanta collapses, or the Bronco first half against the Fins when they had no QB.  2:40 left in the first half, Steelers are punting again.  36 total yards of offense for the half.

And what's worse, the contraction of the offense is getting worse and worse.  Steelers don't even try to pass downfield.  Literally NO downfield threat, so the defense's box keeps everyone near the line and ready to counter the *extremely* limited play calls.  

I excoriated the Rams yesterday;  this feels worse.

I really hate hearing about fans complaining when their teams don't lose. And I'm just a fan. Professional athletes are very proud people. You don't get to survive to get to the NFL if you do not have a strong belief in yourself. The Jets have been hearing about people wanting them to lose and go 0-16 even before the season started. So the Jets players want to show their fans that they still want it -- to shut down these clowns and show they belong with the big fellas.

Plus yet another first-or-second-year QB is mnot going to fix this team. Fans might not know it, but players and coaches do. The #1 pick locks them into Trevor Lawrence. #2 gives them a lot more options to improve their team.