2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

Apparently the lockdown has slowed construction of the Raiders new stadium in Las Vegas, so they may end up having to play home games somewhere else this season (if any). Among the cities under consideration are Phoenix, San Diego, and Salt Lake City.

Potential venues include Chase Field on Phoenix, the stadium formerly known as Jack Murphy in San Diego, and Rice Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake, home of the University of Utah's football team and the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Games.

The idea of playing next season's games in Oakland is apparently off the table.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

The XFL has filed for Chapter 7 liquidation and is looking for a buyer.  During a pandemic.

:(

Well, yeah, but all they have to sell at this point is probably their IP.  Buyers aren't likely to assume the player contracts, and the network deals would presumably be dead too.  Anything much beyond paying off their contract liabilities seems unlikely...and it wouldn't surprise me that there's no offer for all of those.

It costs nothing to look for a bail-out buyer, after all.  And it's likely a fundamental part of the bankruptcy proceeding.  Try to sell the whole package first;  if not, then in the bankruptcy it'll be sold piecemeal.  The unsold assets will get liquidated.

So...the draft is next week.

If you were defining your team's draft strategy for *this* year, would you be buy-oriented, or sell-oriented?

I'd be sell-oriented, especially in the first round.  Why?  I'm still very dubious there will be a season at all.  If states are still in lockdown, can the NFL team in that state operate?  If there  are travel restrictions still present in some states...then what?  Maybe it gets resolved, but...across the entire country?  That seems debatable.  AND, even if the season starts, will the situation remain stable enough to play it on through?

So do you really want to be out the signing bonus money, and probably some fraction of the guaranteed money?  I'll assume that contracts have a CV clause, so that the clubs won't be on the hook for 100% of the guaranteed money in the event of game cancellations, but I won't even guess as to what percent they would be liable for.

Next factor:  there's more uncertainty about this draft.  Much less physical/mental vetting has been possible.  Every pick is therefore more bust-prone than normal.  

So, I'd be tempted to trade those early picks...say, all the first round, first half of the second round...for picks in 2021 and possibly extra late-round picks.  With a bad team, there's so many holes to fill or at least try to improve...hey, 8-10 bodies from rounds 4-6 is a better shot this year than most.

An interesting thought.  But, I think the most reasonable approach to the quarantine is to look at things month by month.  It probably is a good strategy due to more necessary unknowns to who you are drafting.  But, probably best only if you don't really have a plan on who you want to draft.  I assume most of the teams with the first 10-15 picks would have some sort of plan to go by to know within 2-3 players/options on what to do.  Late 1st/early 2nd you might have a good point though.  Just not sure, if the unknowns is enough to justify much more movement than we usually get up to the 10-15 pick

Note: And in general,  if we think about setting a de-quarantine date too far in the future, the situation gets a little hopeless.  Not suggesting we delay if needed when the time comes but,  I am a bit worried we are a little too unconcerned with the mental health ramifications with quarantine.  But, I feel we at least have to pretend we can open things up soon, to avoid too much despair.  Yeah, might have been better for one of the other threads this rant.  Just that, this 18-month thing is too long.  You will see a lot of suicides from the despaired quarantines, and essentials finally breaking under the strain.  

Okay, so there have been a slew of announcements of new uniforms for next season (if any). They include the following:

(Spoilered for lots of images.)

San Diego Carson Los Angeles Chargers

49802785362_e06a58348b_k.jpg

My take: Most excellent. This is what the Chargers should look like.

New England Patriots

new-patriots-uniforms-1.jpg

My take: Incrementally better than the last set, just as the last set was incrementally better than the royal blues with the Flying Elvis logo on the shoulders. Switch the helmet back to white (ideally with Pat Patriot), and we're set.

Cleveland Browns

EVqBkMNXgAAd8pz-1.jpg

My take: 100% better than the clown suits they've been wearing for the past several years. This is what the Browns should look like.

Indianapolis Colts

Screen-Shot-2020-04-13-at-2.09.54-PM.png

My take: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They did anyway. Meh.

Atlanta Falcons

af-20200309-iceman-jersey-launch-gl-b1-f

My take: Not bad, not great. The elimination of the sleeve panels is addition by subtraction.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

ptdealekwcewn45mqb8a.jpg

My Take: THANK YOU! Those ridiculous jerseys with the distorted alarm clock number font were a crime against aesthetics. This is what the Bucs should look like. A Creamsicle throwback uniform would have been nice, though.

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

Okay, so there have been a slew of announcements of new uniforms for next season (if any). They include the following:

(Spoilered for lots of images.)

Hide contents

San Diego Carson Los Angeles Chargers

49802785362_e06a58348b_k.jpg

My take: Most excellent. This is what the Chargers should look like.

New England Patriots

new-patriots-uniforms-1.jpg

My take: Incrementally better than the last set, just as the last set was incrementally better than the royal blues with the Flying Elvis logo on the shoulders. Switch the helmet back to white (ideally with Pat Patriot), and we're set.

Cleveland Browns

EVqBkMNXgAAd8pz-1.jpg

My take: 100% better than the clown suits they've been wearing for the past several years. This is what the Browns should look like.

Indianapolis Colts

Screen-Shot-2020-04-13-at-2.09.54-PM.png

My take: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They did anyway. Meh.

Atlanta Falcons

af-20200309-iceman-jersey-launch-gl-b1-f

My take: Not bad, not great. The elimination of the sleeve panels is addition by subtraction.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

ptdealekwcewn45mqb8a.jpg

My Take: THANK YOU! Those ridiculous jerseys with the distorted alarm clock number font were a crime against aesthetics. This is what the Bucs should look like. A Creamsicle throwback uniform would have been nice, though.

Thoughts?

Chargers/Falcons, you are playing under 20 games, how many different uniforms do you need?

Conventional wisdom is that the Donkeys are going to get a wide receiver in the first round, either with their number 15 pick or by trading with someone into the top 10.

Personally, I wish they'd get an actual NFL left tackle, but I doubt that's going to happen.

53 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Conventional wisdom is that the Donkeys are going to get a wide receiver in the first round, either with their number 15 pick or by trading with someone into the top 10.

Personally, I wish they'd get an actual NFL left tackle, but I doubt that's going to happen.

That's why you get a QB than can run.  So, you can skimp on the OL. duh.