2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

The NFC is basically an old men's game this week, with Brady, Brees, and Rodgers all leading their teams into the divisional round.

Meanwhile, the Old Man of the AFC is Baker Mayfield at 25.

Thus proving the Daniel Webster corollary to Newton's Law:  for every example, there is an equal and opposite counterexample.

And with the Bills advancing, Cleveland can breathe a little easier should they get past KC.

Not because Buffalo is a weaker team.

No, as pointed out by my long suffering Cleveland sports fan hubby, it would have been a bigger kick in the nuts if they had beaten KC if only then to lose to Baltimore in the AFC finals.  Cleveland/Buffalo, on the other hand, is Cinderella either way.

12 hours ago, Old Man said:

Evidently there was only one impressive play.  Nice to see the Bills advance, though I feel for Lamar.

Pretty much.  Wind was wreaking havoc.  Ravens were proving the adage that it's hard to execute 12-15 play drives;  quite a few good running plays, but then the Bills would create a negative play from which Lamar et al couldn't recover.  And the red zone pick 6 put the game well out of reach, even if there was a ton of time left.

But this is pretty cool:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-fans-donate-to-lamar-jacksons-favorite-charity-following-ravens-quarterbacks-in-game-concussion/ 

You have to feel bad for that Ravens kicker. You could quite clearly see the WTF look on his face after hitting the second upright.

I remember a time when one of the Broncos kickers, Rich Karlis I think, hit the upright in successive games. He took all kinds of crap for it. One of the local sports anchors went out to do a story with him. He bet Karlis $100 that he couldn't hit the upright if he were trying to, and gave him 10 attempts to prove it. Karlis nailed the upright squarely on the third attempt and made a big deal of collecting his hundred dollars.

Very interesting thoughts at halftime, based on the potential game-changer turnover when the Browns' receiver got hit at the 1, and the ball slid out the side of the end zone.

--Esiason:  the DB led with his helmet, into the receiver's shoulder...but leading with the helmet is a flag.  But *that aspect* was not reviewable.  I hate that.  Whether or not the hit should be legal is a separate point, but it should be reviewable.  Nothing new here, tho;  the NFL's replay rules have been abysmal from the start.

--Cowher:  you have to move the ball to the 20, yes, because a scrimmage play can't start in the end zone.  BUT, Cleveland should've kept the ball.  The Chiefs did nothing to earn the ball, and it would effectlvely amount to a 19 yard penalty...quite significant.