2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

34 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Man, they are calling this way too tight IMO.  Penalties have cost KC about 14 pts.

Halftime - I liked the McConaughey and Jason Alexander commercials.  The last Paramount commercial was ok.

I watched quite a bit of football this year and I can’t remember the last time I saw so many bs penalties. 

And the Hoodie had a season that could charitable be described as average. This will fuel the debate on who should get the credit from New England's prior success -- Brady or Bellichek. The hoodies one advantage is that, while he doesn't own one of the top five picks, he still picks significantly higher than Tampa. Thus he still has a chance to get a franchise player if they're lucky (and you could say the Pats stumbled into a gold mine with that sixth-round pick of a QB who had barely played any college football and was a career backup at Michigan).

Advantage QB. Now let's see what HC does. And I'm not sure what Brady can actually do well in this point in his career except win.

4 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Easily the worst SB I can remember watching in at least ten years. 

I did not watch very much of it myself. I was online most of the time.

What annoys me most is that for at least the rest of the NCAA basketball season, for ESPN games, I'll have not one but two analysts that I *cannot* listen to.  Walton, of course;  he's been loathsome for years.  But the last several weeks...Vitale.  Yeah, Vitale has been coming close to that *anyway* for several reasons.  But these last couple weeks he's been on a Brady/Bucs binge, and it's just nauseating.  This has nothing to do with disliking Tom or the Bucs;  he's grossly overdone things.

And with the win he's gonna bring it back up *every* game.  Probably multiple times.

Ugh.

Good news is, neither one does that many games...and pretty often there's another game on.

It also means we're gonna be *saturated* with the Brady/Gronk ads for the next 3 months.  <sigh>

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

I watched quite a bit of football this year and I can’t remember the last time I saw so many bs penalties. 

Romo mentioned early that KC's DBs hold a lot and I wonder if TB's coaches made a point of saying something to the back judges every time the got close.

Other problem, mostly due to the o-line, KCs offense never really showed up.

that was depressing in so many ways. Brady wins (I still think there are at least 2 SBs, especially SMVPS, he and the Pats should have been stripped of), the game was boring and not close. even when the score was still close, it wasn't close. Remember, KC stopped them on 3rd and 4th and goal from the 1, first time they had stopped anyone on 4th and 1 all season.

50 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Romo mentioned early that KC's DBs hold a lot and I wonder if TB's coaches made a point of saying something to the back judges every time the got close.

Other problem, mostly due to the o-line, KCs offense never really showed up.

that was depressing in so many ways. Brady wins (I still think there are at least 2 SBs, especially SMVPS, he and the Pats should have been stripped of), the game was boring and not close. even when the score was still close, it wasn't close. Remember, KC stopped them on 3rd and 4th and goal from the 1, first time they had stopped anyone on 4th and 1 all season.

I mean, I was kind of expecting the Tampa D to give Mahomes fits given that KC was on its third string O-line.  What I wasn't expecting was for the officials to take the KC defense out of the game.  That was really irritating.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

What annoys me most is that for at least the rest of the NCAA basketball season, for ESPN games, I'll have not one but two analysts that I *cannot* listen to.  Walton, of course;  he's been loathsome for years.  But the last several weeks...Vitale.  Yeah, Vitale has been coming close to that *anyway* for several reasons.  But these last couple weeks he's been on a Brady/Bucs binge, and it's just nauseating.  This has nothing to do with disliking Tom or the Bucs;  he's grossly overdone things.

And with the win he's gonna bring it back up *every* game.  Probably multiple times.

Ugh.

Good news is, neither one does that many games...and pretty often there's another game on.

It also means we're gonna be *saturated* with the Brady/Gronk ads for the next 3 months.  <sigh>

I dont know, i feel more saturated by Mahomes coverage. Seemed the vibe was Brady had an amazing career, but Mahomes victory was a given.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Ugh.

"Use the Mute button, Luke."

Tonight's game reminded me a great deal of John Elway's first three Super Bowls. Patrick Mahomes spent the whole night running for his life, improvising, keeping plays alive, trying to make something out of nothing...and getting basically zero help from his supporting cast.

The play of the offensive line was atrocious - not unexpected, given the number of starters they didn't have. I counted at least five dropped passes by his receivers. And Mother of Hades, how many defensive penalties did the Chiefs have? It seems to me I read the Kansas City's defense had 95 penalty yards by halftime. I don't know if that's true, but I could certainly believe that it was.

All of this, combined with facing the greatest quarterback of the era, and you get something like the Broncos' loss to San Francisco back in the day. The final score could have been so much worse.

The good news for Patrick Mahomes is twofold: one, he's still young. He's probably got several more Super Bowls in him. Is it possible that this is his Dan Marino moment, and that he never makes it back to the big game? Possible, I suppose, but unlikely. But even if it turns out that way, the other piece of good news is that he already has a ring.

Tom Brady is the most obvious first-ballot Hall-of-Famer since Peyton Manning. Patrick Mahomes isn't there yet, but I expect he will be one day.

14 hours ago, Old Man said:

Easily the worst SB I can remember watching in at least ten years. 

The worst ones I can recall were the Bills losses to Dallas and New York. I had no real axe to grind this year. No Dallas, no Patriots. The Bucks had been there before and won once, The Chiefs had won last year and in 1970. Once Tampa got a third touchdown it was all over. But it did not drag. The New York vs Bills one did and I really felt the Bills were never in it despite how close the score was.  

12 hours ago, Old Man said:

One decent thing about today's game was Romo.  By all the gods, an analyst who knows how to play football!  And uses that to enlighten the viewers!  How novel!

I really enjoy him and Troy Aikman, for similar reasons. Not only do they give excellent insight, they aren't afraid to say when a player just screws up. How many times have we hear either one say that you really need to make a play for your quarterback here. Collinsworth used to be really good when he was on the HBO show, but for some reason, he got to the point where he would not call guys out and everyone became arguably the best player in the league (unless they worked for Dallas, in which case they were the best despite a losing record with having the best position players in football at every position - influenced, I am sure, by the fact he works offseasons with the Cowboys as a roving instructor and they pay his bills).

To the game itself, I agree with Pariah about the dropped passes, some from Kelce of all people who is known for his great hands, but I actually feel this is an epidemic in the NFL. Receivers who can make 1 handed flipping over backwards while keeping 2 feet in play catches missing simple first down throws wide open in the middle of the field OR team needs 8 yards on 3rd down and they run a 6 yard pattern. You see very few of what used to be called 3rd down receivers or control receivers - Beasley, Amendola etc.

6 minutes ago, slikmar said:

To the game itself, I agree with Pariah about the dropped passes, some from Kelce of all people who is known for his great hands, but I actually feel this is an epidemic in the NFL. Receivers who can make 1 handed flipping over backwards while keeping 2 feet in play catches missing simple first down throws wide open in the middle of the field OR team needs 8 yards on 3rd down and they run a 6 yard pattern. You see very few of what used to be called 3rd down receivers or control receivers - Beasley, Amendola etc.

I blame it on the proliferation of Stickum products.

First they cancelled the original Stickum and had New Stickum. 

Then after that disaster, the introduced Classis Stickum which was really just the original Stickum and said they were going to produce both at the same time but eventually quit making New Stickum.

Then they had Diet Stickum, Cherry Stickum, Vanilla Stickum, and on and on.

Where does the madness end??!!

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

spacer.png

Cmon Coach, you know I look like i just jacked off an elephant.

I really like this movie (The Replacements), though I realize isnt high drama and has some things that happen that I think "they filmed that at 2 different times". One includes Hackman, on the last play yelling come on Matt(?) which is neither the actor nor his character's name.

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

Tom Brady is the most obvious first-ballot Hall-of-Famer since Peyton Manning. Patrick Mahomes isn't there yet, but I expect he will be one day.

I'm sick and tired of Brady, but that's separate.

He's not first-ballot HoF;  he should be UNANIMOUS HoF.  You simply cannot argue with 7 Super Bowl victories, 5-time Super Bowl MVP, 3-time league MVP, #1 or #2 in passing yards, completions, and TDs. 

I'm not sure it's as relevant...I can't find whether vote counts are announced, or whether there've been unanimous ones before...like Peyton just this past week.  

Speaking of Peyton...the 64 cent question...does he go in as a Colt or a Bronco???  I kinda hope a Colt, as that's where he earned it.