2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

Peyton Manning should absolutely go in as a Colt. His career in Indy alone was certainly Hall-worthy. Anything he accomplished in Denver is just gravy.

And John Lynch should go in as a Buccaneer.

(A lot of people back home won't be happy with my saying so.)

Interesting take here...

Dating back to the year 2000, the number of quarterbacks who have lost a Super Bowl and come back to win another in their career is 2. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning -- who won one in Indi, lost his next two, and won one more on what was the worst championship-winning offense by DVOA in more than two decades now. Beyond that, history has mostly not been kind to the runner-ups. We've seen flash-in-the pan one year wonders like Goff try and fail before becoming the scorn of his team. We didn't even really get to see how Jimmy G would have looked this season, but the rumblings out of San Fran aren't exactly Jimmy-affirmative. The Falcons high flying offense has been relatively grounded since the big comeback. Newton now plays for the team that defeated him, and word is they are likely in the QB market. But the thing Mahomes has in common with the former is that he won his first Super Bowl before he lost one. Just like Russell Wilson.

Speaking of him, Russell Wilson feels like he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as that latter crowd. He hasn't made it back yet, but it feels like every season he steps on the field he gives the Seahawks a chance. But the Seahawks have struggled to build a team as competitive as the 2013-2014 (and even 2015 DVOA champs) squads since. The fact is simple: in a league drenched in parity, getting back to the big game is damn near impossible by design.

Since 2000, five teams have managed to win multiple trophies -- NE (6), Baltimore (2), NYG (2), PIT (2), and now Tampa (2). Three of these teams did it with the same quarterback -- NE/PIT/NYG.
Four teams (and 5 quarterbacks...) have lost multiple Superbowls -- Seattle (2005/2014), San Francisco (2012/2019), Carolina (2003/2015), New England (2007/2011/2015), and Peyton Manning (2009/2013).
This is crazy when you think about some of the incredible talents who have won and never made it back -- Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees -- or some of the talents who have never even made it.

It seems crazy, but the disconnect is due to football being a team sport, even if a decent QB is an almost-requirement in that team.  Add to that the importance of coaching and of being lucky enough to get to the ship without key injuries, and the QB's role is reduced to one of many.  I mean, Joe Flacco and Nick Foles earned rings in the last ten years.  They played well but even at the time no one was accusing them of being generational talents.

I saw the announcement this morning that JJ Watt is being released--not traded, released--by the Houston Texans.

The team is apparently okay with letting a generational talent walk away and getting nothing in return.

No wonder Deshaun Watson no longer wants anything to do with this organization.

23 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I saw the announcement this morning that JJ Watt is being released--not traded, released--by the Houston Texans.

The team is apparently okay with letting a generational talent walk away and getting nothing in return.

Yeah, they couldn't even find anyone willing to give a 5th round draft pick five years from now in exchange?

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

Wonder if he will go sign for less in Pittsburgh to play with his brothers.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

He asked the team to release him, they're not cutting him out of the blue.

Still how horrible must the organization be? Hopkins was traded last year and now Watson and Watt want out? When generational talents like this want out, you need to change things from the top down.

One thing I don't know is the trade rules.  I know some leagues require a trade to be relatively balanced;  in the NBA, it's why a lot of players get included, to balance out the money...and they promptly get cut by the team they're traded to.  If something like that is in place in the NFL...JJ had a honkin' big salary.  $17.5M for 2021...and UFA in 2022.  NOT great trade bait.  This way he can negociate a longer term deal to give the new club more confidence, and *possibly* take less money.  

It's really better for everyone this way.  

In other NFL news, yes indeed, Urban Meyer is off to a rocky start.  Signs Chris Doyle *despite* a factory's worth of red flags...only to have Doyle resign (which, I suspect, was doing Meyer a favor by not forcing the team to fire him).  Meyer's got a history of being rather tone-deaf on issues, and this hire strongly smelled that he learned nothing from when he got canned by OSU.  College head football and basketball coaches have near-absolute authority;  their players have almost no recourse.  They can now transfer, but that's painful and usually requires them to sit out a full year.  They can be tin-plate dictators...and some still are.  But that is not gonna work with veteran pros.  I give Meyer no better than a 50% chance to be the head coach in 2022 because I don't think he can change.

Long story short: Her father was the silversmith who designed the Lombardi trophy for Tiffany back in the day.

Woman Demanding Apology From Tom Brady After Lombardi Trophy Toss

I have a feeling she would be horrified if she knew what happens to the Stanley Cup every summer.