2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

21 hours ago, Old Man said:

Andy Dalton released by the Bengals.  Jags and Pats rumored to be showing interest.

Patriots should consider.   But, I suppose on it depending on how far Belicheck ego is working.  You never maybe, he is on arrogance that Stidham can do it, and Hoyer if needed. 

I probably would have liked the idea of Dalton in Chicago, as a best fit for him.

22 hours ago, Pariah said:

So now we just have to cancel all the domestic ones and we're all set!

We like to believe that football, that most American of things, coming back in some form by the end of the year will be a great symbol. Whether it actually will be is open to conjecture I will not enter into here.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

The numbering font is unusual, but overall it could have been a lot worse. The colors are so bright, though. Another modern design element NFL fans are not used to but may well embrace down the road if the Rams go back to being the Rams that made the Super Bowl in the 2018 season.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I remember seeing something that there are people thinking the XFL should be worth a shot.  Not their fault everyone got body-slammed onto a bed of nails.

Rams uniforms...the saturated blue is a bit much as a main color, yeah.  Not awful.  The numbrs are bad...RamsWire called them reminiscent of soccer jerseys but to me it feels more like junior high.  Not a fan of that typeface.  And gradient color?  

Dunno.  You know one thing is, they just want to push as many jerseys as possible.  The fan's gonna buy them regardless, so figure they're appealing to the not-quite fans.

23 hours ago, Old Man said:

Ezekiel Elliott has the ‘rona. Along with some other Dallas and Houston players. 

It would surprise me if that was not true for every team. Even if the testing at training camps was daily (and I can;t imagine players wanting to put up with the very invasive testing procedure every bloody day), it would definitely be a barn-doors-and-horses situation.

Yet the NFL seems to be on a breakneck pace to try to act as if everything was OK and that football is essential to American's well-being. PLus most states now have state-based sportws gambling just now launching once there is something to bet on, so they too have a piece of the pie -- a pie that hasn't even been baked yet.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Old Man said:

I wonder why that took so long. 

I suspect procedural issues.  Like passing the physical, which should be done by the Pats' team doctors.  That goes from not much more than a formality to a logistical pain.

Story in NYT about how college towns are being crushed due to the campus shutdowns, the plans for at best a narrow on-campus restart, and now, with this resurgence, even more doubt that the restart can take place.  To that point:  one thing mentioned was that there have been quite a few cases identified on the sports teams that were allowed to reassemble on 1 June.  Take these points together, and you have to think the season is still in doubt.  I'll still say:  I do not expect it to happen.

17 hours ago, Badger said:

Patriots fan at work who happens to also hate Cam Newton. Will be interesting.

Tom Brady is getting $50 million plus to play for two years in Tampa. the Pats come out ahead this way, including having a lot of cap room for 2021.

Cam is no longer a top-ten quarterback. Do the Pats have the personnel to elevate his game from what we've seen (or not seen) the last two seasons in Carolina?