2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

How about FC Foggy Bottom?

In other NFL news, the league and PA agreed on a restart.  Yeahh, well...I still have serious doubts.

In the NYT article on the subject, there's a paragraph about the income loss:

So there's a fairly firm number.  Quite a bit.....

They might have to lower the cap next year 

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Old Man said:

The XFL has been purchased for $15M by a consortium of owners that includes Dwayne Johnson. 

Makes sense.  Speculative, but Johnson's net worth is estimated north of 20x that, so he's presumably in a good position to take the chance.  If it crashes and burns...he'll just make another movie.  The XFL didn't fold due to bad product or bad management, so if they can rebuild it...it could fly.  

And they have some time, I suspect, to organize well.  The spring/early summer time frame was good...but that means NOT 2021.  

On 8/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, Old Man said:

The XFL has been purchased for $15M by a consortium of owners that includes Dwayne Johnson. 

On 8/3/2020 at 11:51 AM, unclevlad said:

Makes sense.  Speculative, but Johnson's net worth is estimated north of 20x that, so he's presumably in a good position to take the chance.  If it crashes and burns...he'll just make another movie.  The XFL didn't fold due to bad product or bad management, so if they can rebuild it...it could fly.  

And they have some time, I suspect, to organize well.  The spring/early summer time frame was good...but that means NOT 2021.  

I still think any football league that isn't the NFL is a spectacularly bad investment. It's like a company that makes really good buggy whips -- even if the product is great, the stock is worth it because nobody outside of Amish country needs buggy whips. It's not just the $15 the new ownership is out. It's the costs involved in playing personnel, renting arenas, etc. (Why would a stadium rent to the XFL anyway, when nobody will be coming to the games?)

This is merely a way for Vince McMahon to exit his program gracefully. He's lost several millions which he didn't recoup from this sale, but it does mean  that he doesn't take all the blame when the whole thing crashes into the sea. I don't see the point of investing in an enterprise that is absolutely certain to go under (and should have already).

Yeah, and there are ways and places where you might make money.  Seattle's XFL team hired Jim Zorn as their head coach, and Seattle responds to appeals to its sentimental past like no place I have ever seen.  (The launch of Seattle's MLS team with unabashed appeals to the old Sounders, hiring the Sonics old radio broadcaster as their first radio guy (even though he clearly knew nothing about soccer) and long-washed-up former US international -- and local boy -- Kasey Keller as their first keeper, were key components in a very successful launch of the new franchise.)  I would have bought some Seattle Dragons regalia just for the hell of it once Spring Quarter was over.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pariah said:

I confess, I enjoy watching the Canadian game. If I could find it more reliably on television, I'd watch it. I even have a team to follow, thanks to my wife's cousin who lives just south of Edmonton.

As a kid, though I couldn't watch much CFL. I kind of liked Saskatchewan, because hearing of a place called Saskatchewan fascinated me for some reason.

16 hours ago, Badger said:

I am betting a magically cold place in the winter.

Looks to be pretty cold, yeah.  December and January average highs are in the teens...but it's at least the + teens, not the - teens.  But the averages are about 10 degrees lower than Minneapolis, and a few degrees lower than Fargo, just to pick a city I know in North Dakota.  

But it's NOTHING as bad as Fairbanks.  Average highs in Fairbanks, from US Climate Data...November, 11;  December, 5;  January, 1;  February, 10.  That's Fahrenheit, and the highs.  Still, I gotta agree, that's seriously cold.

And apropos of...not much?  The current temp when I was looking this up, in Saskatoon...was 95.  Thank you, climate change.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Well, for some reason the first place I think in the province is Moose Jaw, that sounds bad@$$ to be from😉

Moose Jaw's junior hockey team is in the same league as Portland's, as are the teams from Regina, Red Deer, and Medicine Hat. It must be interesting to get a hockey team on a charter bus through customs twice on every road swing through the other country.

• 2 weeks later...