Man, but do I hate the internet....

Duke Bushido

I've been dragging through old notebooks (the paper kind, with a metal coil on one side and these weird graphite scrawlings all over them) to complete something I promised myself I would do as I had time  (almost done, Chris!  :lol:   )   I stumbled across something a few minutes ago---

How many of you other old men remember way, way back when-- about the late 70s or so, when if you needed a module on the cheap or between getting one from the brand-name guys, you pulled it out of a magazine?  No modules that month?  Well there's that rack of Judge's Guild stuff way in the back of the store.....

Dude, Judge's Guild was _awesome_ way back when, especially if you were a Traveller or D&D player (or both, as a lot of us were).

I stumbled across my old conversion notes for the _only_ superhero module they ever produced:  Break in at Three Kilometer Island.  Not only was it the only superhero thing they ever did, it was one of the very few things they did that....  kinda sucked.   :rofl:

Steve Perrin and a couple other guys had gotten together and worked out some conversions between Champions and V&V and SuperWorld and published them in back of a couple of V&V modules and a couple of SuperWorld modules.  They were reprinted in roughly half the gaming magazines of the day, so I guess technically I have several copies nowadays. ;)

Anyway, I had used them to make that scenario (such as it was) Champions-compatible, and did a  _lot_ of tweaking to it to up the value of it (though it's really not much more than a scenario, even after tweaking it a bit).  I got a wild hair, and started typing it up, working the notes into the body as I went.

Then I had this crazy thought:  Hell, I heard Bledsow _died_ a few years back (cancer, was it?).  I wonder if anyone did anything with the license?  If not, then maybe I can find the current copyright holder and get permission to do this for a distributable freebie or something.  Let me do a quick Google.....

Yep.  Not only is there a current copyright holder (Bledsow the second), but the company is still producing!  (thought these days it seems to be all e-format).  And it seems that Bledsoe Jr has been running his mouth in the worst possible of ways, and that I'm pretty sure you couldn't even _give away_ a Judge's Guild property these days......

Kinda wish I'd done that Google before getting twenty pages deep into the project...

Don't get me wrong:  I'll still do it, just for me.  But there's nowhere near the hurry I was in when I first got the "I wonder" bug....     I just won't be able to share it with anyone.   :(

The internet really, really, _really_ sucks sometimes....

Well, I certainly remember the multi-statted modules from the early 1980s. I still have a couple of those -- The Great Super Villain Contest for Champions, of course, as well as Trouble for HAVOC from Chaosium. I wasn't much into the gaming magazines then, aside from Dragon Magazine, and Adventurers Club naturally.

I admit I'm not quite following what you're lamenting. Is it just a lost opportunity to create something based on an old adventure? Or the loss of innocence from those early days? Or maybe the asshattery of some creative content holders? All of those I can relate to.

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I've been dragging through old notebooks (the paper kind, with a metal coil on one side and these weird graphite scrawlings all over them) to complete something I promised myself I would do as I had time  (almost done, Chris!  :lol:   )   I stumbled across something a few minutes ago---

How many of you other old men remember way, way back when-- about the late 70s or so, when if you needed a module on the cheap or between getting one from the brand-name guys, you pulled it out of a magazine?  No modules that month?  Well there's that rack of Judge's Guild stuff way in the back of the store.....

Dude, Judge's Guild was _awesome_ way back when, especially if you were a Traveller or D&D player (or both, as a lot of us were).

I stumbled across my old conversion notes for the _only_ superhero module they ever produced:  Break in at Three Kilometer Island.  Not only was it the only superhero thing they ever did, it was one of the very few things they did that....  kinda sucked.   :rofl:

Seve Perrin and a couple other guys had gotten together and worked out some conversions between Champions and V&V and SuperWorld and published them in back of a couple of V&V modules and a couple of SuperWorld modules.  They were reprinted in roughly half the gaming magazines of the day, so I guess technically I have several copies nowadays. ;)

Anyway, I had used them to make that scenario (such as it was) Champions-compatible, and did a  _lot_ of tweaking to it to up the value of it (though it's really not much more than a scenario, even after tweaking it a bit).  I got a wild hair, and started typing it up, working the notes into the body as I went.

Then I had this crazy thought:  Hell, I heard Bledsoe _died_ a few years back (cancer, was it?).  I wonder if anyone did anything with the license?  If not, then maybe I can find the current copyright holder and get permission to do this for a distributable freebie or something.  Let me do a quick Google.....

Yep.  Not only is there a current copyright holder (Bledsoe the second), but the company is still producing!  (thought these days it seems to be all e-format).  And it seems that Bledsoe jr has been running his mouth in the worst possible of ways, and that I'm pretty sure you couldn't even _give away_ a Judge's Guild property these days......

Kinda wish I'd done that Google before getting twenty pages deep into the project...

Don't get me wrong:  I'll still do it, just for me.  But there's nowhere near the hurry I was in when I first got the "I wonder" bug....     I just won't be able to share it with anyone.   :(

The internet really, really, _really_ sucks sometimes....

Release it as an Epic chain of tweets!